“Canceling my previous OK review” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 8 hotels in Oxford
“Canceling my previous OK review”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

I stayed here before, and gave them the benefit of the doubt by thinking (hoping) things were one-off problems. I now know that they are not, and the problems here run deep.

The hotel is under renovation. Yes, that happens. But this is worse than my worst home renovation story, and slower than anyone could ever imagine. Reviewers complained about it for May, and then others after that, and now I'm adding to the complaints (still renovating at the end of August - see pictures). In May, I was told it would be finished before I arrived; in June I was told it was almost done; in August, I was told it was almost done. I am not the only guest fed up with the mess, and the constant excuses.

Others have complained about the erratic (at best) internet and now I am, too (I think I was very lucky last time I stayed here). The first night I was told I was too far from the router (OK, get a bigger router, or a repeater), the second night the excuse was that there were too many people on line (get a bigger router, or a repeater, to handle your hotel capacity), and the third night I was offered a room change and the staff member was visibly annoyed that I didn't accept it - at 2:00am. And of course, there was no guarantee this would fix the issue.

With all these problems the next day I was going to use the computer in their (advertised) business center to do some work, and to print a few pages. By this stage I wasn't surprised that despite what they say on the hotel's website, the Holiday Inn Express does NOT have a business area. The staff member at the front desk didn’t say it was part of the 3-4-5 month renovation - she didn’t even know if they ever had one.

The hotel has only one, very slow elevator (shared by all the guests, and the staff and their equipment), and to add insult to injury the pastries at breakfast were stale, and the scrambled "egg" was something yellow and rubbery - maybe reconstituted egg product?

Some of the staff members act like they are doing you a favor letting you stay there, while others apologize for the long-term renovations and internet problems, but they don't do anything, they (presumably) don't tell the manager about the (many) unhappy customers, and the manager doesn't return messages to call the customer.

Both Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express are overpriced, and priced similarly (no discount offered for renovations or anything else), but there are a few key differences - Hampton Inn has a swimming pool (Holiday Inn has no pool), it has a good breakfast (see above comments, and those from others), and it has a business center - but only the lobby has wireless internet. And Hampton Inn has a satisfaction guarantee.

If the Holiday Inn Express has no interest in satisfying its customers, advertises facilities it doesn't have, charges full price for less than optimal facilities, doesn't have a pool, and has long term, ongoing internet problems (see ALL the reviews), and the only reason I stayed there or recommended it earlier was for the internet ... I strongly suggest you stay elsewhere.

Note: The stay above was in August (that was my second time at this hotel), but I had to wait because Trip Advisor has a limit how often you can review a hotel. So I waited a couple extra days because I was visiting the area again last week.

This was the middle of September and I did NOT stay there, but I stopped in to see the status of the renovations: the lobby still needs to be painted, there is still no business center, and the cones and construction materials are near the elevator in the same place as in the picture I took 4 weeks ago. I'm not sure exactly how long they have been "renovating" the area; I do know it has beein going on for at least 4 (or is it 5, or 6) months and during this period they still charge full price, and if you ask ahead of time they always say it is "almost finished".

Room Tip: Rooms are nice - if that's all you want.

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Newburgh, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

The hotel is lovely, very clean and modern. We have had the pleasure of staying there only two times and yet there are people on staff that remembered us from the first visit...in a pleasant way too! I have had the opportunity to ask the manager for assistance and she makes it feel like we have known each other for years. Absolutely a great experience with wonderful customer service and excellent accommodations.

West Columbia, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

This was our second time to stay in two years. It is always very difficult for us to find. Maybe GPS needs updating. The hotel is under rennovation but doing business as usual.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We wanted to stay at the Downtown Oxford Inn, which we'd Pricelined in the past. This time it wasn't on Priceline and they wanted $139/night from us. Whaaaa? That's crazy. For *summer* in *Oxford, MS* your best rate is $139/night? So we found HI at a lower rate and were happy to give them our $.

Breakfast was really good. The eggs and biscuits were surprisingly delicious.

The room was great--ours had a hair dryer, microwave, fridge, and even a ceiling fan! And I slept great. We always do a bed bug check of the mattress seams and everything looked clean.

There was some construction going on in the lobby, which apparently some reviewers have a problem with. It didn't bother me and I didn't find it intrusive. I mean, who's hanging out in the lobby of Holiday Inn?

It's true that there's no pool, which is kind of a bummer... but I also think that if you really need a pool, you should check to make sure your hotel has one before you book.

There's free wi-fi, but Internet access is spotty, slow, unreliable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Great rooms
Lobby ok
Continental breakfast added value
Will go back

Room Tip: Great location for a trip ti Ole Miss
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Northern Va
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

My son and I stayed for a night on his way to Ole Miss. The location is fine, two restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel and the campus is a very quick drive down the road. The staff are very friendly and helpful, especially with directions.

The room we stayed in, two beds, was large and the refrigerator/microwave included would have been handy if we had stayed longer. BIg bathroom, and the ac worked fine for the usual floor unit.

The renovations continue so the lobby is squeezed, but not the breakfast area. But powered eggs, some breads and cereals and limited fruit options (but the juices and ham slices were great) made for a barely acceptable breakfast. I've stayed at nearly a dozen HI Expresses world wide, and this was not up to the usual breakfast fare I have found at the other hotels. Maybe the renovations impacted the food prep area?

Agree about the internet, it was barely usable the first afternoon we were there, and the next morning, not usable at all. Frustrating for a hotel room that is over $125 a night!

The staff is great, but hope the hotel improves to match its staff.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011 via mobile

The food is terrible. That aside the Internet doesn't work. They don't support Apple products, but I couldn't get on with my Dell either.

They knocked $20 off my bill-but I still lost an evening of work. Even if they gave me the room for free it would not have been worth it.

I called the tech line they gave me. Waited twenty minutes and they still couldn't solve the problem.

I won't be back

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Holiday Inn Express Oxford? Share your experiences!