“1965 called and they want their restaurant back!” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
San Antonio, Texas
“1965 called and they want their restaurant back!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I don't mean to be ugly, but really, I felt I was transported back to the 60's. When was the last time you were served a basket of packaged saltine crackers and butter? In the background, the music, I swear was Frank Sinatra. Now mind you I like Frank but this just added to the very dated ambiance. Decor was very plain, a few framed pictures on the wall, tables were formica, are you getting the picture yet? I ordered the lunch "special" at the special price of $12.95. I chose the fried shrimp, "fingers" (which are apparently fried, little crab claws with a little meat attached), salad and baked potato. The shrimp was average (probably frozen), I've had better at fast food places, the "fingers" were tasteless - all I tasted was the breading, the foil wrapped potato that tasted a little metalic, was ok but was served with sour cream in a packet (really?). The salad was pathetic, soggy iceberg lettuce with the requisite two chilled cherry tomatoes and a limp cucumber slice and lots of croutons for some reason. The dressing was the typical foodservice type, I could imagine it coming out of a huge plastic jar. All of this.... for the "special" price of $12.95, kind of made me wish there was a Red Lobster nearby. The decor, the music - all reminded me of restaurants when I was a kid. The food was so average I can't believe this place stayed open so many years. We were there for lunch on a Thursday about 12:30ish and there were only two other groups eating. This should have been our first clue. Nothing was memorable except the baby alligator that the staff told us to go see off of the deck in the backyard, this being the highlight of lunch. Worse of all, this restaurant was recommended by a local lady in a gift shop. Sheesh, if this is the best seafood in town, they're in trouble. Mind you this is a town a stone's throw to the actual ocean... you know, where the seafood lives....

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Ocean Springs, Mississippi
“An Ocean Springs Staple”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

McElroys is just one of those places that if you live in the area, you've eaten there at least a dozen times. The food is always good. They also do breakfast which is also very good. It's just a nice place. Make sure you don't try to go on Sundays, you'll never get a seat because of the church crowd and once you are able to finally sit down, it's going to be a very long time before you get your food.

Visited August 2013
Biloxi MS
“Local favorite of ours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband and child all love this restaurant, we go here ever few months and the food & service are always great. Good choice of wine and beer to go with our meals.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Gainesville, Florida
“Breakfast was good... We would return!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Service and atmosphere was good.... Beautiful view of the bayou. Food was good although one order of eggs was overlooked and a second out of four was cool.

Breakfast sausage and bacon was excellent. Pancakes looked beautiful but taste was only a 3.5-4

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
americanchristian
“Wished we would have picked another place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Family and friends had always talked about McElroy's, so we decided to check it out, while visiting from out of state. I guess there isn't much good for me to say, other than it does have a nice view. We had lunch here, and left so disappointed. Maybe management changed or something, but I do not advice you to waste your money here.

• Visited September 2012