“Great Staff but I didn't feel safe.” 2 of 5 stars

Northeast Conference Center
111 US Highway 11 and 80, Meridian, MS 39302   |
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Meridian
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Great Staff but I didn't feel safe.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

I arrived at the hotel at about 11:00 p.m. I was surprised that I could not even enter the lobby. I had to complete my registration through a little window by the door. The lighting was not very good, and there was a huge shrub next to the window. I was a woman traveling alone, and I did not feel comfortable standing outside of the hotel with my wallet in my hand. The bright spot was the front desk staff. An older lady checked me in, and she went out of her way to be helpful. She provided me with change for the vending machines, and repeatedly told me of the complimentary hot breakfast.

I drove to the parking area near my room and, again, I did not feel comfortable walking to my room alone. I am not a "scaredy-cat" by any means; I have traveled by myself for years, but I just felt extremely uncomfortable at this property.

The next morning, I was allowed to enter the lobby, which appeared to be recently refurbished. Again, the front desk staff was extremely helpful and nice.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Families
Crossville, TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

We are Priority Club members and stay at HI properties exclusively. The hotel lobby was very nice and looked newly refurbished and there was even a bag of popcorn waiting for weary travelers. We thought we might have hit the jackpot. We asked for a first floor suite. Their only suite was made by combining 2 rooms, which made the accommodations very large. The shocker came when we drove around to the room and found an old 60's style HI. The door and windows were filthy. There was mold on the ceiling, the kitchen sink drain was rusty, there was no shampoo, conditioner, or bar soap. The room was very outdated and very overpriced!. We were tired and thought we might stay but when we called for room service, we were told they were short staffed and we would have to pick it up ourselves. We immediately checked out and went next door to the new Hilton Garden Inn, which was spectacular. Had to be the worst hotel experience we've ever had.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

Very nice staff. Remodeled and nice lobby building which houses confernce rooms, decent fitness center (old but adequate machines), complementary internet access, and nice restaurant. But the rooms are another story. Rooms were in a seperate building...very old and outdated with exterior doors. The kind of place where you don't want to take off your shoes. Carpets in very bad need of replaciing. Doors were difficult to operate. Bathroom with cigarette burns on counters. Pool was very very dirty. Nice to look at but wouldn't go in to save my life. Only stayed 1 night and that was enough. I would have moved hotels if it was longer.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Huntsville, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

When I arrived, I was extremely disappointed to find out that the rooms were all on the outside. When I looked at the site on-line, I guess I just missed that information; however, I heard atleast 2 other customers question the same thing when they arrived in the lobby. I had the government rate so I can't complain about that issue. the rooms were old but clean and the beds were comfortable. I did keep detecting an odor that smelled somewhat like "wet dog" when I would go in the bathroom. I later read that pets were allowed in the hotel (had I realized this I would have requested a non-pet room because of asthma and allergies). I also had problems with the strong cleaner/deodorizer that was used to clean the rooms. The complimentary breakfast was apples, oranges and pre-packaged muffins/danish. Cookies were offered in the lobby in the evenings. There is a computer (dial-up I think) in the lobby. The entire staff of the hotel were extremely nice and helpful. The lobby area was very pretty. Do not eat at the Applebees across the road. Terrible service and food. They were out of the dessert I had ordered so the waitress brought me "the next best thing" (her words) which was chocolate and I had ordered a strawberry dessert. The Cracker Barrel was also directly across and had good service and food. The O'charleys was good as well. The mall is within view.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — outside rooms
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New ORleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2006

I checked in about 10:30 pm after driving many hours. It was $105 -- expensive for this little town exp because the room had no micro or frig -- but after getting into the room I read the room rates posted on the door which was $95 so I assumed the $105 included tax. The next morning I woke up early so I could take a relaxing bath, and then order breakfast from room service. To my complete surprise, my room had no running water. I was unable to take a bath, brush my teeth, make coffee, or even flush the toilet -- in fact during the night I used the bathroom so now the bowl was empty! I glanced up and there was a plaque stating that "if I was not 100% satisfied with my stay, Holiday Inn would either fix the problem, or I would not be charged for that part of my stay". So I called the operator and reported the problem and was told the water had been turned off about 1am and would not be back on for several hours. Remembering their guarantee, and being totally inconvenienced, and unsatisfied, I asked for some sort of compensation -- partial credit would have been fine. I was told that no refunds or credit would be given as it was not the fault of Holiday Inn. I replied that it wasn't my fault either, but I had paid for a room with running water, and Holiday Inn posted the guarantee about satisfaction with no exceptions. I packed up, and went to the front desk where my credit card was charged $105 plus tax $114 total. Even though the highest rate posted in the room was $95, due to the great need for housing because of the August Hurricane, they were price gouging everybody -- and making a mint because the motel was packed. When I complained about the extra $10 I was told the price was whatever they decided. I then asked to return to the room so that I might make a photocopy of the rack room rate card, but the manager told me, "The only way you will return to that room is if you pay for another night". He then ordered me out of "his hotel" in front of several people. I was totally humiliated and left stating that I will never again in my life stay in another Holiday Inn.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
Baton Rouge, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2003

Great hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean. The hotel recently had a complete makeover. They also offer a great expanded Continental Breakfast which is free for all guest. I will definitely stay at the Holiday Inn Meridian next time I am in town for business.

Been to Northeast Conference Center? Share your experiences!