“The Way to do "Local"” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Long Beach, Mississippi
“The Way to do "Local"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I are local to the area and have to admit that there aren't many choices in our "gotta stay local" radius of restaurants. Harbor View has been a local staple since I was in my 30s and I'm nearly 54 now. Having traveled extensively Coast to Coast and half-way around the planet, you have to give credit where credit is due. This place works harder to please their customers than the majority of eateries I've ever experienced. The staff, the servers and Paul, in particular, our chef, visited our table, in person, asked us if he could help us with anything specific to our tastes and then came back to check on the results. I ordered the fried catfish, but asked him to "throw together" a remoulade with crawfish and shrimp. He nailed it. The perfect amount of spice and cream. The servers were giddy to have a good client, which shows in their demeanor and attention. Most clientele believe themselves to be Marie Antoinette incarnate and treat servers (I was one for 4 years) like trash. Most of the bad reviews here are most-likely from the unlucky or the unlovable. Be specific about what you want and give the staff instant feedback. They seem eager to please, eager to serve and eager to see good patrons again. The only reason I would not give Harbor View five stars is because the place is pretty "plain" inside. We sat on the porch and it was a little "coolish"...heaters would've put us on the better side of the Coastal breeze. However, nothing could take away from the food, the service and the Friendly City's best.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Norman, Oklahoma
“A Peach at Long Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The Harbor View Cafe is one of the nicer restaurants in Long Beach and has a nice decor. They were busy the night we attended, but we were seated promptly and the beer was cold and good. I ordered their trio of salads, chicken, tuna, and shrimp. The portions were excellent and the price under $10.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Las Vegas, Nevada
“WOULD NOT GO BACK EVEN FOR BURGERS AND BREWS”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

My wife and I visited for the first time today (09/21/2013). I have no desire to return even just for a burger. That's how disappointed I was. I was told by our waitress that the onion rings were homemade NOT frozen. She was wrong. The onion rings were frozen and terrible. I HATE SERVERS WHO EITHER LIE OR DON'T KNOW THEIR KITCHEN!! I ordered the shrimp and crabmeat crepes. Three small crepes with a smattering of crab meat and a few very small shrimp with a bland sauce is what I got. There were lots of shell pieces in the dish. A lazy and/or uninterested kitchen is the only thing that accounts for that. I know seafood and I know that shrimp and crab can be picked to avoid shells! My wife's pasta primavera was dry and tasteless. I would describe it as a plate of plain pasta with some pieces of warmed up veggies. Our salads were very plain...no imagination in any of the food. The service is best described as inexperienced. Almost all our food came out at the same time. We felt rushed. The entire staff looked pretty young so maybe they will learn. Hey, Harbor View owner...take some pride in your business and show some respect for your customers. Based on our experience the place is just a cash register and we will not making any more contributions.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Saucier, Mississippi, United States
“Great Meal !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Went to celebrate my mother in-laws Birthday . Had a great time , the food was wonderful with huge portions and the staff and our waiter were awesome. The only problem was the vegetables on the menu said grilled but they were not .. They never really gave a reason why. The desserts were to die for . Very nice evening .

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Andrews, North Carolina
“This is It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

If you're looking for great, easy relaxed atmosphere, a panorama of adjacent Long Beach Harbor and some of the best vittles on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, Harbor View Café is THE PLACE to go. We are long-time residents of the Coast, and this is our go to eatery. For breakfast, I usually order one of their satisfying omelets (it comes with pan-fried potatoes and grits) and a cup of their delicious coffee. And while the dinner menu is varied enough to please just about anyone, I invariably go for the shrimp or oyster po-boy. There are somewhat better oyster po-boys on the Coast, but the Harbor View's combination of atmosphere and food is hard to beat... But don't just take my word for it, give Harbor View a try the next time you're in the area; and I can promise you this -- you'll be back...

• Visited May 2013