“Average at Best!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Long Beach
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Average at Best!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this Holiday Inn Express over the Labor Day weekend for the first time. I must say of all the Holiday Inns that we've stayed at, this one was just average in all aspects! I had to point out that I was a priority club member. I exclusive book with HI due to my priority status, and the familiar feeling that the staff projects when they greet you as a club member; projecting an appreciative attitude for your stay! On several occasions the staff here appeared be more occupied with their own cell phones or their conversations with each other than your presence. The staff was not as friendly as I'm accustom to at HI. The room we stayed in was clean, but we felt the walls in the rooms were not adequately thick enough to muffle the sounds. We frequetly heard other patrons hallway traffic, and at times their conversations in the neighboring rooms. We will book at the HI in Biloxi, before we book here again!

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Long Beach, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear usmc_dkl,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about our property. It is always our goal to provide convenient and world class service to our guest. We apologize we were not able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Please be assured that these will be looked into and that your comments will be used to monitor future improvements needed.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Springfield, Missouri, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed in early August 2013. Evening check in guy was awesome. Great dry sense of humor.
He should be poster boy for all front desk personnel.
Hotel itself was very clean, in good shape.
Breakfast was great. Attendant was very pleasant and efficient.
Day front desk clerk needs some training in customer service. Rarely acknowledges guests passing by and spends way to much time on the computer. Refused to make reservation for next destination@ HI Ex.
Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: view room on south side- beautiful view of gulf
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
tucson, az
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on business and didn' t have the best experience. When I checked in, the front desk clerk was not friendly at all. Before I went up to my room, I asked if Priority Club members got warer and her response was "Oh, are you a Priority Club Member?" She then looked at my reservation, saw I am, and gave me water. The room seemed ok. In the morning, I discovered mold in the shower. There were several black areas on the grout. That is mold. I was planning on staying 2 nights but decided to check out that day because of it. I mentioned it to the front desk clerk and he apologized. I thought he would offer to comp the room. I later received a request from HI corporate asking me to submit a review. I did, complete with pictures of the mold. That review never got published on the hotel website. Only the glowing reviews are published. I checked that I would like to be contacted to discuss my experience. The next day the hotel manager called me. She stated that the head housekeeper went up to the room and saw black on the grout but couldn't get it off. I explained that we have a condo in HI and that I am very familiar with mold. I told her that they would have to apply bleach or a mold cleaner like Tilex to remove it. She was very apologetic and asked me if I wanted her to refund some of the room fee. I replied that it would be great and she offered to refund at least 1/2. That has never happened.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Long Beach, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear mariadosTucson_Az,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

While visiting the Mississippi Gulf coast I would strongly recommend Holiday Inn Express in Long Beach, clean rooms, affordable rates , and friendly staff. Located on the north side of Hwy 90 minutes from casinos and shopping and just walk across the street for the beach

• Stayed August 2013
Mendenhall, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family and I checked in late, and the front desk staff was very helpful and quick. The hotel was very clean and everything worked smootly. The hotel was quiet, and we were able to get a good night's sleep before heading out in the morning to go fishing. The hotel is located VERY close to the Long Beach Harbor.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I really want to give this hotel a higher rating,but I can't. As a very frequent traveller it is a good hotel, but does not have that edge to give it outstanding and a few glitches.
First it is very clean I love the smell of bleach it means clean and safe to me. The amount of sand surrounding this area and coming in they do an amazing job of keeping it contained and outside. Housekeeping you get an A.
The front desk staff friendly,but they are training some new people and I think the glitches there will work out soon and the assistant manager was very open to my suggestions.
Breakfast just simply a mad house all 4 days I was there. Lots of families and children. Staff did a good job of keeping up.
Pool nice I got there early enough one morning to do laps,but every other day it was kid haven.
Beach is wonderful, but as noted by a previous reviewer. Long Beach just doesn't get quite the attention Biloxi and Gulf Port with their multiple huge condos do. There was more oil clumps on the beach than when I was in the area in March and a lot of debris. However, it is very lightly used in comparison to a few miles east.
One real stick point for me. I was working and the wifi was down or spotty at best the whole time. Very frustrating. I could on get about 5 min then lock up even when I went to the lobby to work. Then it was down. This forced me out of the area to complete my assignment.
If you are looking for clean and basic,lots of family or older crowd. This is the place. For business be forewarned and expect you might have to find another wifi area. I might have to try the new Wyndam up the road a mile for next business even though for business HIEX is usually my go to.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were trying to stay 2 nights at this hotel. We couldn't get a room anywhere in Long Beach. We decided to get a room on the interstate many miles away. It was a good choice. We didn't realized until we arrived that the Holiday Inn is the only hotel in Long Beach. It said the rooms would hold 5 people. Once we arrived, we asked for a roll away bed because there was no couch in the room. We called close to bed time and were told there were no roll away beds. Our son slept on the floor. It was a nice clean hotel. The pool is smaller and no hot tub. The beach is directly across the street. It is a very busy 4 lane highway. It is a long level beach, but the water is horribly dirty. We walked on the beach at sunset when the tide went down. There are large pipes going into the water and still very large tar balls. If you put your feet into the sand, it is drenched with oil. We didn't realize this before we went there. It was definately not what we had in mind for our weekend at the beach.

The hotel staff are all very friendly. The hotel was nice and clean. The beds were comfortable. The breakfast was good with a large variety. The pool was a nice temperature. The website we booked through said onsite laundry. There was no laundry facilities. We did use the business center. It was nice, clean and computer worked great to print out our cruise documents.

We didn't realize the area was still slowly recovering from the oil spill and Katrina.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Long Beach? Share your experiences!