We had this hotel booked for a 2 night stay on a business trip. When we first saw the place we had some concerns, but there were quite a few cars so first at first we thought that was a good sign (was not!). We arrived a bit early in the day and were told our rooms weren't ready so we would have to come back. That was understandable. When we finally returned, the check in was friendly. But as we brought the cart out for our luggage, and subsequently went in and waited (forever it seemed) for the elevator, we began noticing the "patrons" coming and going.... We began to wonder if this was really a hotel or if it was instead low-end living accommodations.
When we opened our room I was immediately hit with an awful smell - I thought smoke, my husband thought some kind of air freshener. Either way it was nasty. I went to the window to see if it would open (which it wouldn't) and was flabbergasted at the sight of the pool - if you could call it a pool - cesspool would be more accurate. It was black, and I even saw a pool chair in it. Disgusting!!!
Anyway, after some discussion, we decided to stay this first night and leave in the morning to find better accommodations. The bed seemed clean and the towels seemed clean, although there were no hand towels - only bath towels and wash cloths. The shower sprayed every which way leaving a big puddle on the bathroom floor which I had to clean up. I kept my shoes on in the room because the floor appeared filthy. The stair wells were horrible and dirty too. Of the 2 elevators one was out of order and the other we only took once because we simply didn't trust it.
Well... we finally fell asleep... and then at 4:11am my husband's cell phone rang. It was the couple we were traveling with who were staying 2 doors down. They had been awakened by water dripping through their bathroom ceiling. He then went to the front desk to let them know and was told they would "send someone up". He then went up to the floor above us to see what he could see and as soon as he opened the stairwell door was greeted but very heavy, black, foul-smelling smoke. He immediately returned to his room, got his wife, and called us to let us know. We then noticed we also had water coming through our ceiling - apparently from sprinklers on the floor above us.
We naturally grabbed our stuff and left the building. We were the ONLY guests with luggage leaving. Most everyone else either stayed in their rooms - (one comment was "Not again!!!"), or several milled around in the lobby. NONE of them had luggage and NO BODY was leaving. When we asked a young man outside if these people lived there he said ya, they all did.
We came outside to at least 4 fire trucks sitting outside. Not once did ANYONE tell us or notify us of any problems or fire - which there was on the 3rd floor (1 up from ours). Not once did I ever hear any kind of alarm - the alarms in our rooms were non-functioning. Even the firemen acted as if this was a common occurrence.
So, if you need a place to stay, my advice would be to move on down the road and avoid the Clarion in Jackson MS at all costs!!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.