“Big on space, small on value.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jackson Downtown - Coliseum

You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jackson Downtown - Coliseum to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jackson Downtown - Coliseum
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   310 Greymont Avenue, Jackson, MS 39202 (Formerly Jackson Hotel and Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in Jackson
Jacksonville, Arkansas
“Big on space, small on value.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here based on the fact that it was a "host hotel" for the Mississippi Blues Marathon, but the staff didn't even seem to know that there were a few dozen racers staying in the hotel. When I arrived I was told breakfast would be at 7am and that is the same time the race was scheduled to start. When I mentioned the fact that they were supposed to be serving early for the racers (according to the race website and even in the email from the hotel confirming my reservation) they said they would set out some cereal but that the hot food wouldn't be ready until 7am. If I could have cancelled my reservation at that point I would have moved next door to the Hampton Inn (their breakfast is always at 6am), but it would have just been throwing money away so I finished checking in and checked out the room.

The best thing about this particular HIE is that the room was spacious. Crazy high ceilings, and a separate sitting area with a couch, table & chairs, desk, and more. On the down side the room was poorly lit, hot water for the shower was hard to come by, and the bed was hard making for a rough night of sleep. And those high ceilings? Well that made for poor air circulation which with the cold weather overnight meant that the bedroom was warm-ish and the sitting room was frigid when I got up in the morning.

The next morning they did indeed have cold cereal laid out, and some muffins that didn't look too promising so I ended up going across the road to Waffle House to get a decent breakfast to fuel my race. And when Waffle House is a step up.....

Room Tip: Go next door to the Hampton Inn.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Tuscola, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was needing a hotel close to the fairgrounds that would allow us to bring our dog with us. The hotel our friends were staying would not allow dogs, so looking on line I found that again the local Holiday Inn did. The hotel was very close to our destination...across the street, so that was good. We arrived early and i confirmed that we could stay there with our dog, I got a recommendation for lunch to return later to check in. The lunch recommendation was excellent and was greatly appreciated. Returning we checked in and were fortunate to be put close to the door, so we could get our dog outside easily enough. Great thinking...we did appreciate. Our room was a corner room and large, clean and very nice overall. It has a small kitchenette of sorts offf to the side....to me it seemed a waste of space....could have been better used ...and it was basic...with built in fridge, water tap and microwave with a countertop and cabinets. there were 2 charis and a table.
THe bed was high and was very comfortable. Our room was quite enough despite the room being next to the busy road. The meal the next morning was typical of Holiday Inn express that I have experienced lately. THe WIFI was not very dependable or very quick. I would stay again if I were bringing a dog with me, but I believe there are less expensive options that would be just as good in that case.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel was very clean and new smelling and looking. Breakfast was typical free breakfast. Never great but will do. Bed was comfortable, a/c heater cycled on and off. there was no way to leave the blower on and have the heat cycle with a constant temperature management which I hate because there's no way to drown out the noise which I could hear people talking through the walls on both sides. Even at 11:30 someone kept letting their door just slam on its own with no regard for quiet time. Internet was a little sketchy. All in all not a bad experience but a tolerable one. If I could I would actually give it 3.5 stars. 4 is too much.

Room Tip: Pick the rooms on the opposite of the highway because you can hear cars/trucks occasionally.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Daytona Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2014

This is not a resort, it is an over night stay. Given that, it is an excellent value. To begin with the room was very clean and large. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was small but functionable. The towels and the shower were great. There is plenty of space, and the TV was good size with free HBO. The in room appliances were new and clean. The cost was very reasonable. The complimentary breakfast was ok, but at least the eggs were not powdered and there was a good variety. The staff was very friendly and helpful. All in all an excellent overnight stay.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2014

No guest laundry, the breakfast was probably worst Holiday Inn Express breakfast I've ever had. The eggs were slimy, bread was stale, and the juice machine did not work. The printer didn't work and then hot water was basically non existent.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jackson Downtown - Coliseum, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Charles L,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dianne L
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2014

I was having a hard time finding an acceptable hotel for my business stay in Jackson. The reviews of downtown hotels, including of my favorite chain - Hampton Inn - were not favorable. But the Holiday Inn Express next door was a new property and looked promising. The experience was overall good but decidedly mixed.
This is a new property, so it was clean, fresh-smelling and well-maintained - no problems there - with friendly and accommodating staff. The bed was very comfortable, and the heating/AC unit was very quiet, so I was not l disturbed by the noise of it cutting off and on as I often am. The free breakfast was similar to Hampton, but a bit off. The fresh fruit was bruised and tired looking; the English muffins were stale and hard as rocks. If you like biscuits and gravy, then this place is for you, as that looked fresh, at least. So breakfast is OK, but needs some attention.
The hotel has free internet, but I had a lot of difficulty with performance. Either it was very slow to connect, or once you connected the response time was very slow, or it would drop you unexpectedly. Maybe for free I shouldn't complain, and it could be a problem beyond the hotel's control, but I haven't had such extremely poor performance in the past at other hotels.
I would have given the hotel a higher rating but for the breakfast and the WiFi.

Note: The property is next door to the Hampton Downtown Coliseum, so it may suffer from the same challenges with parking when there is a large event at the Fairgrounds. This was not a problem while I was there, but be forewarned that it might be.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jackson Downtown - Coliseum, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear jeronprez,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2014

The hotel is newly remodeled so the rooms are nicely decorated and very clean. Staff is friendly and accommodating. Breakfast is decent and they have a really cool pancake machine (vs. the standard waffle iron found in most Inns & Suites). Despite all these good things, I still was unable to sleep this Saturday night because Room 218 is facing a hotel street lamp that is beaming into the room (see attached photo). The curtain design only allowed you to close the white sheers! I couldn't close the heavier drapes to block out the light, so my room was lit up all night. Needless to say, I didn't sleep and had a 6 hour drive back to Atlanta the next morning. According to my MisFit Activity tracker, I had 0 hours of deep sleep and about 2 hours of sleep altogether.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that allows sheers and drapes to close, so the night light isn't beaming into the...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Dear TF C,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for reviewing our property. I am happy to hear that you found our rooms clean and our staff commendable. On the other hand, I am disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We have sent you a private message to discuss further details.

Thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

John O
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jackson Downtown - Coliseum? Share your experiences!