“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 47 hotels in Jackson
Lodz, Poland
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

Hotel is situated in very centre of Jackson. It’s very comfortable and nice hotel with very good and helpful crew. The only one problem with I noticed was that all of group was charged “internet fee” but no one was ask if he/she has computer and is going to use it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

117 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Birmingham -Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

The primary advantage to this Marriott property is its location. It has a second floor walk-way to the largest office building in Jackson, and it is only several blocks from the Capitol building and other government buildings. It appears to be the major convention hotel for Jackson. Warning - do not leave the hotel after dark. My wife and I were at a park 1/2 block from the property at dusk and the downtown area became abandoned and creepy.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
So Fla USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

I'm a Marriott Rewards Platinum -- and obviously a big fan of all of the Marriott concepts. Jackson Marriott is a perfect example of how one can always trust the Marriott organization for safe, clean and pleasant accommodations. My room rate was $79 so the value equation was right up there. I've paid twice that for worse accommodations. Parking was easy and inexpensive ($10-12/night). Check-in was easy. The only service errors: (1) I needed to break a $20 to tip the parking attendant/bell man for parking my car and helping with bags. Went to the bar for change because there was quite a line at the front desk. You would have thought I had asked for a unit of plasma when I asked for change -- "We cannot possibly give you change," was the reply. Not typically Marriott at all. (2) When i went to the front desk to get change, there was only one person on the desk trying to check in 3 different parties. The lone desk manager was doing the best he could to take care of everyone quickly and, fortunately, he looked at me and asked the other guests if they wouldn't mind if he could give me change which was a great gesture. At night, Marriott sometimes leaves one person to handle too many tasks at the same time so you have to be patient. Other than that, the rest of the entire stay was fine. There's nothing open within a couple of blocks for food at night so room service is about the only option and it was fine. Good food and service. This hotel is located in the heart of downtown and it's pretty much abandoned at night. The room was spotless with one of those wonderful Marriott beds and lovely linen. Bath was spacious and clean with plenty of towels and toiletries. Concierge lounge was one of the better ones -- at night it was laid out with snacks like cheese and crackers, cookies, brownies, and sodas, cold water, etc., plus an honor bar. The lounge attendant was the best. He was welcoming as I entered the lounge and made sure I knew where everything was. It was pretty busy in there, around 8:00 p.m., so people were enjoying themselves. The next morning, the lounge had an adequate continental breakfast laid out and plenty of good coffee. Again, good service.

The nice thing about Marriott properties, and this one in particular, is that you can always count on decent treatment, clean rooms, and safety. Jackson Marriott lives up to that. A couple of service flaws didn't change my view at all -- it happens all the time no matter where you stay. I have recurring business in Jackson so I will always plan on staying here.

When I checked out, the doorman gave me excellent directions for my destination and bid me a kind farewell. Love that Southern hospitality -- very genuine and sincere. These are some fine folks who know how the hospitality business.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

This hotel is probably the worst Marriott that I've ever stayed at! The room/hallway is smelly and one of the elevator made jerking motion whiles it is going down?!?!?!? Informed the staff about it but it was not fixed whiles we were there and both escalators are NON-RUNNING (what is the point of having them there?)
There are odd looking characters hanging out the lobby bar and one of them was trying to hustle my friend and the foods is so bad that we couldn't even finish our meals!!!
The rooms are old (a makeover is badly needed) but the housekeeping staffs did a good job cleaning rooms. BTW, the wireless internet connection is slowwwwwwwwwwwww and there is no complimentary internet in the lobby!
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Biloxi, MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

I stayed here for a conference located in the hotel. The conference rooms and hotel rooms were exteremly nice and comfortable. The hotel is very elegant and clean. The room service food was awesome. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

There are certain hotels I can count on, no matter what city I am in, and Marriott is one of them. Me and my husband, and our preschooler and newborn were in MS visiting family. Since we traveled all the way from NYC with two small kids, it made sense for us to spend the night in Jackson so they could decompress before we spent the next day driving.

The Marriott Downtown was clean and comfortable and the staff was awesome. Just completely friendly and helpful at every turn, from check-in through meals.

The hotel definitely has character and was a nice contrast to the motels we would end up staying at for the rest of our trip. We requested adjoining rooms, and it was like having a tremendous suite. The beds were comfortable, as always at Marriotts. Our kids bathed happily in the tubs and there were plenty of fresh clean towels. When we showered the next morning the water was hot and the water pressure was superb.

We would have liked to go out for dinner, but there was nothing open nearby. In fact, we had been warned that Jackson is unsafe, but this hotel is across from the state buildings and court house. It's desolate at night, but not dangerous at all. After a short stroll it became apparent that all nearby eateries were shut down by 5PM. So, we opted for dinner at the hotel. They had a kids menu in the lounge so my husband I could unwind with a cocktail while our son feasted on a cheeseburger. We felt totally at ease and Robert at the bar and Brian, our server, were very kind. We had planned to use the swimming pool, and the weather was accomodating, but our son wanted to hang out in the lounge a little bit later (a completely new experience for him), so we skipped the pool. Parking was $10 and the internet for 24 hours was $9.99, which was fine. I hate the way Marriott nickles and dimes its guest with these fees, but at the same time, I trust it implicitly and never go wrong when I stay at one, so I shouldn't complain. Also our rooms were only $79.

Stayed October 2008
Kentucky, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

I was totally depressed about having to stay at a hotel in Jackson MS because it was a small city in the south and I travel a lot and it usually means the place is not so nice. As I drove through the deserted downtown around 8:30pm and saw the building I just expected something not so nice from judging by the old exterior.

We parked and got off the elevators and I was greeted by something so much nicer than i could've expected. The lobby was HUGE and there were two sets of escalators...basically, this is what you'd find in a much larger city like downtown Philly or downtown Chicago. The two guys at hte front desk were really nice and I asked them for directions to this much talked about on the internet Sushi placed named Nagoya ([--]). They showed us how to get there (only like 10 mins away via car). On a sidenote, one of the better sushi places I've eaten, the prices were cheap and the sashimi servings were HUGE!

I slept like a baby and the rooms were really nice. The down pillow was made of duck feathers and the room was decorated nicely and they had new irons which is always nice.

The executive room was on the 15th floor and it was wayyyy above average...they served lox somewhere in the south?? unbelievably good. i'm not jewish but that totally did it for me! I had that and porridge...i miss having porridge on my business trips! They had a larger than avg variety of breakfast food to choose from in this room and of course there was a great view.

Even at full business price, it was only $150/night for our companies rate. I'm sure personal travel on the wkend would be a lot cheaper.

Definitely stay here. Parking is a lil expensive but its a great tradeoff.

• Stayed September 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Jackson Marriott? Share your experiences!