“Disappointing for a full-service Marriott” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Jackson
TN
“Disappointing for a full-service Marriott”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

Stayed in this hotel on July 11 while on business in Jackson, MS. Frontdesk staff okay. Air conditioning did not work very well in the room. Room stayed humid and warm. Radio/alarm clock did not work. Remote control for tv didn't work. Ice machine on that floor didn't work. A coworker who stayed in a room on another floor said his tv and phone did not work. These are not things you would expect at a full service Marriott. Ate breakfast in the restaurant - it was okay. The location for us was so convenient though - we had a meeting to attend in an adjoining building. On next trip to Jackson, I will stay here only if I need to for the location.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2004

I visited the hotel about a week ago and my stay was very nice I was on a distress getaway and for me this was a happy moment in my past few weeks. The remodeling that this hotel is doing has made it look more beautiful and the employee's were nice as usual. I had the pleasure of dinning in the restaurant and at the bar and both times the food was delicious. I plann to make this hotel a part of my travel's. I feel that you all will be very very pleased with this hotel. I felt very safe and secure also so mabe the security has been re-organized to fit our needs as a saftey concern.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2004

I stayed at Jackson's Crowne Plaza a couple of weeks ago with some friends and all three of us were double-billed. The Hotel acknowledges the mistake, but still hasn't taken the extra charges off our credit cards some 13 days later! The General Manager blames the corporate office but can't give me a person to call there. We feel scammed and want others to know it.

Cypress
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2004

As the largest hotel in downtown Jackson, the Crowne Plaza attracts many conferences. We attended as part of the Mississippi Music Educator's Conference. This conference includes the state honor choirs, 3 days of rehearsal and a concert for auditioned, talented students, elementary through college age. (I was there as the parent of one of these students.) I estimated six hundred students were in Jackson for the choirs. The Crowne Plaza has four elevators for fifteen rooms of guest floors. The advice given the students at their first rehearsal was: start 45 minutes early to get from your room to the meeting room.
They were right. The elevator situation is unbearable. The restaurant was mediocre. Room service was expensive, but good food - until the second evening, when we wanted dessert; they only had two of the six choices available. Our room was not cleaned until almost 4:30 p.m. On checkout day, our key stopped working at 11:05. I called the front desk from the 7th floor hallway to tell them - they said to come down and get a new key! I said if I came down on those elevators, then back up to get my bags, I would miss the noon checkout! They promised to send someone up, but never did - housekeeping let us in, thankfully. I could hear everything said in the bathroom next door through a vent on the wall. I hope a clever entreprenuer builds a new hotel/convention center in Jackson, our most central location in Mississippi for events that are attended from all over the state. The Crowne Plaza? Truly geriatric.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2003

Arrived and parked in garage (wonderful to find a downtown hotel that doesn't force valet parking on you. we are not helpless, you know).
Plenty of convienient parking in the five level garage. Check in was quick and easy even though the hotel was busy. Room on the executive level was nice. All amenities were available and they were functional.
Club level lounge was attractively furnished with everything but food.
We had to ask for coffee. They seem to have a hard time keeping it stocked. Must be too far away from the kitchen. However, the staff is a quick response team. Must have had a lot of practice. It would be less pressure on them if they just keep it well stocked. The restaurant is really nice and had excellent food. A little pricey though. But, a good choice if you don't know anything about the limited opportunities for eating in downtown Jackson after 5:00 PM. The really big question about eating at this hotel is how old is the lettuce? It wasnt fresh in the restaurant or the club lounge. Bring a fresh head with you and let them prepare it. They are good at preparation but apparently not at purchasing leafy vegatables. This hotel is in a nice spot. Downtown Jackson is much maligned. It may not be a lively place after work hours, but it is not the no mans land some people have pictured it to be. Check out the pool. It's on the 8th floor with a nice view.
Excercise room is adequate also. Sky walk leads from the hotel to the Am South Plaza (Jackson's tallest building) across the street. There, on ground level, you can find a coffee shop, Subway, snack shop, travel agency, jeweler, and other assorted businesses. The best part of our experience was the price of our rooms. It is a great value.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2002

Apparently the Crowne Plaza is one of the larger hotels in Jackson, and one of very few that has the space to put on a large meeting, but it was awful. It's not awful on the level of motel six, or anything like that, but I was quite displeased with my stay at the hotel. I was not part of a convention to Jackson, which apparently is their focus, but rather a random business traveler from Atlanta. My experience from start to finish was difficult. When I arrived I was told I would have to wait to be able to get a room that fit my reservation, and the staff at the check in place suggested I wait in the bar. When I went to the bar I was told by the bartender who was doing nothing at the time that the bar didn't open for an hour, so he couldn't serve me. So I actually sat in the bar for an hour, with the bartender talking on the phone all the time and doing nothing, before I was able to get a room. The person I dealt with from the check in was actually quite nice and very pleasant, but when the Crowne Plaza in Jackson promises early check ins, it's annowing to arrive at 4pm and have no room.

Beyond that, I didn't like the parking arrangements at the hotel. They charge you for so called security monitored parking, but when I went for morning runs, and made my way through their garage, I felt slightly frightened. The only security I encountered during my stay at the hotel was an obviously minimum wage guy in a uniform standing near the check in desk who spent the majority of his time flirting with the woman behind the desk. The next part of my story is a bit extreme, but it bothered me, so I'm going relate it. On the second night of my stay, I ran up and down the stairwells for exercise, and couldn't figure out how to get out. Eventually I had to make my way to the very bottom of the fire escape, and when I did, I encountered somebody sleeping underneath the stairwell. The man appeared to be homeless, and I mentioned that immediately to the security officer. His response was that he "would let somebody know".

That's about it. From the outside the Crowne Plaza seems nice, but it's hard to get the services they promise, including a safe place where I can run. I don't know if there are any other decent hotels in Jackson, but when I return, I will be looking for any other option. And the Crowne Plaza was difficult enough that I will actually be looking for almost any alternative. If I find something better, I'll let everybody know.

Been to Jackson Marriott? Share your experiences!