“Service, Hospitality, Poor-Parking” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Jackson
Plano, Texas
“Service, Hospitality, Poor-Parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Marriott standards. Excellent service and hospitality. Water pressure in rooms not ideal but sufficient. Menu not localized at all. This chain of Marriotts seem to use the same menu everywhere. Food is average at best, poor at worst.
Parking and entering the hotel very poorly designed. Headache every time coming and going.
Concierge lounge very good at breakfast. Average at night.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is OK. Not up to the standards of the price they get. Beds are comfortable and rooms are clean. If you are in town to do business at the Capitol, then location is good. Where should I start.... We had to eat at the hotel, as everything is closed in the middle of the afternoon. That was a trick as well, as the hotel bar/restraunt hours are limited as well. We were told by one staff member to be careful of wandering too far off the beaten path, as they are surrounded by bad neighborhoods. The Governor's mansion is just a block away, but if I was the Governor, I wouldn't want to be stuck in this area! Platnum with Marriott, but will look for other properties if we return to this city.

• Stayed May 2013
Columbus MS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Have seen numerous write ups discussing the hotel is 'dated', and certainly you could consider the room decor as such, but we had a room last weekend on the 11th floor. It was very clean, quiet, an excellent view, and the TV was flat screen. I think the service is good and very friendly staff. We ate lunch in the hotel restaurant, which was a bit slow, but the food was quite good. The location of the hotel is prime for downtown activities, particularly gov. meetings etc. The Gov. Mansion is a block away, Capitol is within walking distance along with several other public buildings. I felt completely safe during the day, although there have been concerns voiced about night walks alone. We had no trouble with parking. Security has a presence in the garage. The lobby is lovely. Elevators worked just fine. They don't have any of the pay TV channels for free like HBO etc.. and internet is $12 per day as is parking, so those are some extras you won't see at the Hilton across town. The beds are great, very comfortable, and they do have a nice size frig in the room which comes in handy (don't have that at the Hilton). Lots of meeting rooms...this is a big hotel. There are lunch spots very close by but not really nice restaurants. Right across the street you have Chick Filet and Subway with a coffee shop. Not much of a walk to some other sandwich places. Overall, if you want to visit Jackson and see the historical district by just walking out the front of your hotel, this is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: I'm a Marriott member, so maybe easier to get these, but ask for the upper floors to get a reall...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 weeks for work. Night staff isn't the friendliest. They charge for everything(getting a package delivered). The area is a little suspect. Had to go back to my room as I forgot something parked in front of hotel and ran into a homeless person. He told me he was HIV positive and the homeless shelter is full, wanted money. The area is ok during the day but at night it's completely different. Go out in groups at night.

• Stayed April 2013
New Orleans
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

If there were a choice for poor plus, this would be more accurate. The bellman, food service staff, even the engineers were exceptional. Now that being said, you may wonder why I know so much about the engineers. First, on entering our room we met with a loud rushing noise, sounding like the toilet overflowing. Called front desk who didn't seem concerned but they sent the engineer. He kindly checked it out, said he heard the noise, but didn't think it would be a problem. I asked about another room, but he said it is the same all over. Ok, it does become somewhat of a white noise after a while. So, got in and settled, my son and I wanted to find a movie to rent on demand, but found that the tv didn't work. So, called front desk, they sent engineer. He eventually shows up, struggles for about half an hour, but manages to replace the back of the tv and gets it going for us. I asked him to help us find the on demand channels. After looking for a while he understands what we want, but this Marriott has no movie access. Ok, thanks. So we think about getting movie on laptop or iPad. But there is no Internet access. So, called front desk, they sent the poor engineer back to our room. He brings a cable, which does not work. So, he gives us a help number to call. Called them, they go through a long list of instructions, which I have already followed, to no avail. I tried to assure them that it isn't that I can't follow directions....so they ping a few hotspots and eventually get a weak signal to our room. After which we have to call in with the web address for each individual device. Signal too weak to watch said movie, but I am exhausted at that point and have resigned myself to my fate....
On to the hotel itself, the room is small, wallpaper peeling from the wall in several places. The decor screams 1980s from the top of its lungs. The wallpaper in the bathroom is Christmas themed, really, holly and berries. There is one set of towels, one bathrobe and one bottle of water in our room. Even though the resv was for two. I get the impression the hotel might go under if they put two bottles of water in the room!
I have seen this before at some of the Courtyards, but never a "full service" Marriott, the "shop" to purchase snacks is sort of behind the front desk as if they are afraid that someone might lift a package of M and Ms. It just seems a little creepy.
They do have a buffet breakfast which is poor quality except for the omelette station. The lady cooking up some omoletes, eggs, French toast, etc is a ringer. Great French toast and pancakes, too. She is definitely the star of the show, waiters and waitresses were nice.
Given that I am a frequent traveler and have gold status, I would have comped the breakfast to me but they did not. I had been told when making my resv that the concierge room would be open only on the first night of our stay as Marriott doesn't keep it open on the weekends. As it turns out, someone had reserved the lounge for a private party, so it wasn't even available for the first night. There should be some compensation for that, but none was offered. This is the most expensive hotel in Jackson, but it doesn't come close to any other hotel in the region, except maybe it's only slightly better sister hotel in Baton Rouge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Rogers
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here as a family of four traveling through. We were very impressed with the hotel. It did show its age a bit but the building is in historic downtown so you would expect things to be a bit older. The Breakfast was outstanding and free for children. Overall loved the room, it was very large and very nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed at the subject hotel due to a conference. Several items I consider over the limit:
Room was $130 but I paid $ 180 due to group rate deadline passing (my fault). But even at $130 it is way overpriced. Due to Government is handy and was where the meeting was. The room was okay, but they wanted to give me 2 doubles instead of a King as I had reserved, and we were right by the elevator, ice machine, and so forth, so they obviously did not read the reservation. The staff was extremely nice or the score would have been a 1 or worse.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Jackson Marriott? Share your experiences!