“Best find of road trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #51 of 335 restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: Vegan, Vegetarian
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Best find of road trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Randomly discovered this place on TA. Not the most upscale strip center, but perfectly acceptable.

I walked in at 159, unaware they close at 2. The girl behind the counter okayed my sitting down.

The head chef took my order and I started chatting him up as I was the only patron left at this point. We discussed trips, driving, food. He told me about the organic grocery co-op next door and the soon-to-arrive competition from Whole Foods. Interesting guy.

My beet burger w sauteed mushrooms and jack cheese arrived along w some homemade potato salad. The chef went back and brought over a bowl of their "chicken" soup. On the house, he said. Awesome.

The food was fantastic. Soup tasty w fresh herbs in the broth. Delicious burger, perfect mushrooms. Could not have asked for anything more.

I was not charged for the soup OR my burger toppings (which are a la carte). Total bill--under $9!

Go for the food, enjoy the hospitality and stop in the grocer next door after your meal. You won't regret it.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

90% Recommend
Austin
“Great find on a long driving trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Thank goodness for internet on the road! We were on a family road trip, and on such trips we tend to look for local interests in food and shopping, even if it means taking a detour from the highway. Lo and behold we found High Noon Cafe. The name sounds like it should be a rollicking western-flavored steak house, which is wonderfully ironic since this is a vegetarian establishment.

We are not fully vegetarian as a family, but we definitely enjoy good quality vegetarian fare. This fit the bill. My husband had a huge garden salad with ume balsamic (yummm), I had a wholesome and entirely satisfying Harmony Bowl (steamed veggies, tofu, rice and selection of excellent sauces), and our 8-year old daughter enjoyed a small version of her dad's salad (loaded with carrots, a favorite for her) and some of my bowl. We had PLENTY OF FOOD. Wow.

If we are ever in Jackson again, this will definitely be a destination for us again. Thank you, High Noon Cafe, for a very satisfying and healthy alternative.

(a note about cost: getting good food for the body is worth a little extra. This meal was well within the expected price range for healthy dining.)

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Daphne, AL
“Great Vegetarian food in the Deep South!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This place is in an old school co-op style building with a health food store. With the advent of the big chains of natural grocery stores it's nice to visit a locally owned place. I told my kids this is how all health food stores used to smell( like nag champa)! The food in the cafe is great and don't miss the vegan carrot cake!

Visited July 2012
Mississippi
“Veggie or Not”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Even if you're not a vegetarian (I am, but my family isn't) you will enjoy the food. Get the blueberry tea! Their hours are very limited (darn it!).

Visited July 2012
Biloxi, Mississippi
“Wow. 'Nuff said.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Disclaimer: I was vegetarian for a couple of years, and still don't mind eating without meat (although a good burger... good times). ANYWAY... here it is:

Wasn't expecting a whole lot when I saw that it was in a "Health Food Grocery Store," but... it knocked my socks off. It had varied selection (in every category, including drinks, apps, sides, and main courses) with an artistic presentation in a pleasant setting.

The food satisfied "The Two Fs": FLAVORFUL and FILLING! I ordered an entree and a side and couldn't finish them... and I usually clean my plate. Seriously, I used to think that my grandmother made the best potato salad I've ever had, but High Noon's is a close second... if not equal (sorry Grandma). And the last time I had my grandmother's potato salad was in the '80s.

Decor is cool, too. High ceilings, plenty of light... local artists' work on the walls, with prices if you're interested. Plenty of room to stretch out in a calm, cool, quiet, airy atmosphere. Booths and tables, both.

If I'd ordered less (no side) I'd still have walked away full and happy.

I'd go back again in a heartbeat. No hesitation. Seriously.

• Visited April 2012