“Good Bar-B-Q, but not outstanding” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #69 of 341 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: Barbecue
Jackson, Mississippi
“Good Bar-B-Q, but not outstanding”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I had lunch at the Hickory Pit today, January 8, 2013. I had the Rib Plate (1/2 rack), and tea. I had the dry ribs. They have a rub on them, and I found them to be very good. The rub was good, but not overpowering, and the plate was more than I could eat. The price was reasonable. Having said that, however, there really isn't anything to set the Hickory Pit apart from most Bar-B-Q restaurants. I will certainly go back, and I would recommend it to anyone, but I can't find any reason to rate them more than average.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Central, Indiana
“Excellent smoked pork ribs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stopped here while traveling through Jackson. Very easy access as it only a very short distance off of I-55.
The menu is full of choices, actually hard to decide which to choose. I finally decided on pork ribs w/dry rub. GREAT CHOICE!!! The ribs were ready quickly and the smoke ring was very visible when they arrived. Three sauces were available at the table, but it was really not necessary. Very good smoked flavor, for the meaty ribs that I selected. The potatoe salad and cole slaw sides tasted homemade and were excellent as well.
When I finished my meal, I was full and very satisfied. I also understood the sign by the front door that said they were Mississippi's best Q.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hell, Michigan
“good pulled pork”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Went here for lunch and I was ravenously hungry. I ordered the pulled pork plate with beans and cole slaw which came with Texas toast. The pork was flavorful with a good smoke flavor and the texture was good. It was better than the pulled pork I had in Memphis a few months ago. They had 3 types of sauce on the table but for some reason I didn't care for the sweet sauce.

The beans were outstanding and had a spicy flavor. The cole slaw was crunchy which was good and the dressing was good. I had to try a piece of Hersheys pie and it was good. I wish I had been able to have a cup of coffee with the pie. Good barbecue IMHO.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, VA
“I read all the reviews...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

And the ribs were enjoyable, but I can't say they were beyond average. I arrived around 6 p.m. one evening based on reviews I'd seen here and on Yelp and Urban Spoon.

I settled in for a half-rack with beans and potato salad with some tea. The ribs were definitely smoked but lacked much in the way of color or flavor. Their sauce helped. I've traveled the country in search of good bbq and this won't win any prizes in my opinion, but there was nothing wrong with it either. The beans were from a can and the potato salad was grocery store quality. Again, nothing wrong with it, just nothing special about it. I think I'll try to other place closer in to Jackson in the future.

Visited September 2012
Brandon, Mississippi
“Jackson's Classic BBQ Joint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The place is rather small, but the food is excellent and consistent. One of my favorites for a good ol' pork barbecue sandwich.

Visited July 2012