“Service Made the Difference_DvB” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Julep Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 348 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: American
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Northside Drive and Frontage Road
Description: At Julep we believe too much of a good thing can be wonderful. And that's exactly what you can expect when you experience the delightfully creative menu featuring the freshest and finest ingredients presented in the most unexpected fare imaginable!
Texas
“Service Made the Difference_DvB”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I eaten at this restaurant once before; about five years ago I had dinner while in town for a multi-day exam. I passed with flying colors so the meal could not have hurt.

This occasion was a lunch reunion with a few friends who suggested this as a first option. The prices were slightly higher than lunch usually costs, especially for Mississippi. The friends suggested the fried chicken, which had a note about award winning quality. The flavors of the chicken were rich without being overpowering. The chicken was moist and tender. The accompanying mashed potatoes were very good if a little bland. I think this may have been to highlight the quality of the potatoes used since the natural flavor was very prominent (this is easier to explain if you have tried chicken eggs from a small farm as compared to store brand eggs; these potatoes were equivalent of the former), but my personal preference is a more seasoned potato side. Still, the green beans were my favorite part of my meal and the most distinct from other restaurants’ offerings. Portion quality was sufficient, but I am not sure that the chicken deserved any spectacular recognition beyond “very good.”

I sampled the chicken salad-salad and I probably would have preferred that for my lunch. It was perfectly seasoned and light. I also tried the hummus appetizers that served four portions of neatly stacked hummus on pita with vegetables. The biscuits presented prior to the meal offered flaky, buttery delight.

Our server, Ryan, was attentive and exceptionally polite. His attitude and manner easily qualify him for any five-star establishment. He was pretty sharp too… when he took my plate, I slipped him my card in the hand underneath and unlike many previous servers he made no obvious acknowledgement. When he returned for the other dishes, he brought a closed to-go container and smiled as he handed me the box. Inside was my ticket of course. My friends were shocked that we had handled the bill without exchanging any visible signals.

I think our waiter made the experience. Excellent service is one way to encourage repeat business, and our server exceeded expectations. To assure patronage, this service was coupled with well-prepared food. All of us enjoyed our respective dishes without going overboard with praises. The main pa

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Jacksonville, North Carolina
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

My family ate here for Saturday brunch, on recommendation from a friend, for my birthday. The hipster, artsy vibe of the place is great, with a mix of young and older folks from all walks of life. They have several great beer on tap, including some local breweries. The host was very nice, and seated us promptly. However, things went downhill from there. The waitress, who was also making drinks at the bar, did not seem particularly interested in serving our table versus her younger crowd at the bar. She took a long time to bring drinks and take our order, despite the small crowd. We ordered beignets, shrimp and grits, fried green tomatoes Napoleon, and the kids Mac and cheese. They brought out the adult plates ten minutes before the kids...never a good idea. The shrimp was overcooked, however the grits and sauce were okay. The fried green tomato dish was just okay, the goat cheese overwhelmed the tomato. The beignets were dry, definitely no Cafe du Monde. The kids approved of the Mac and cheese, but it is hard to screw up Mac and cheese. I heard such excellent things about this restaurant, and had such high hopes. Very disappointing for a birthday brunch.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oxford, Mississippi
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Food is average, service unenthusiastic. Took quite a while to get lunch.

The club sandwich had bacon and turkey on one half (cut in 2, not 4) and only ham on the other. Either a slipup in the kitchen or an unexpectedly unwelcome innovation on a familiar sandwich.

The salad was better and got a good review.

We would return only if we could not get in some place better.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jackson, MS
“Julep is my place :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We love Julep!! The food is amazing. We go there often for lunch. Def recommend the stuffed chicken, shrimp toast, filet and the Bailey's cake. The night time atmosphere is upscale yet casual. The bar is by far one of the best in town. You're going to pay a dollar or so more for your drinks here, but it's worth it for quality and service. If you're going more for the late night, get there early, around 9ish, or you likely won't have a seat. It's a great place to go Tues. - Sat., which you can't say for most of the night life around here. The ladies LOVE Julep. I recommend it all the time.

Visited October 2013
“Good food, awful service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Waited forever on brunch. Terrible bar side service. Waitress forgot silverware, to bring check and sat with other tables and complained about her job. Wanted to love it but too long to get food and then continued terrible service.

• Visited June 2013