“Terrific Food and Service” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Char is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 348 Restaurants in Jackson
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: E Northside Dr.
Description: Char restaurant offers modern Southern cuisine with distinct spirit and charm. Char offers great lunch specials during the week and a jazz brunch on Sunday. Our specialties include USDA Prime and Choice cuts of beef, veal and lamb, along with seafood and shellfish roasted to perfection. At Char we give you excellent service and food in a warm and entertaining atmosphere. Char is locally owned by the same folks that brought you Amerigo Italian Restaurant, Sombra Mexican Kitchen and Anjou Restaurant. Located in Highland Village, Char offers reservations, catering and private dining for groups of all sizes.
NOVA
“Terrific Food and Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Really enjoyed this place. It's easy to find...right off 55. They use a Chicago-based beef company and it really shows well on the plate. The service was impeccable and they serve one of the best Manhattan's I've had.

• Visited January 2012

Burlington, IA
“Five Star”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Expensive but the best cowboy ribeye steak and dessert.

Hatfield, Massachusetts
“Char Was Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

It's truly a shame that we ate lunch so late in the day because it meant we weren't able to do justice for dinner that night. DH and I met up with Elizabeth and her husband, Tim, for dinner at Char, another restaurant that has opened since I moved away from Jackson. Well, it was wonderful. The four of us had a cozy semi-circle booth and we celebrated our first reunion since their marriage two years ago in New Orleans with a round of cocktails--all good, all generous pours. Tim and I each ordered the house salad with comeback dressing. (Lawd, but do you know how long it's been since I've seen comeback dressing on a menu? Too long!) They were good, and Tim gave his an A while I would award mine a B for being overdressed. Elizabeth and DH only ordered one course each: a salad with grilled salmon (A) for the former and an appetizer-portion of marinated crab claws for DH (B+). Tim and I then moved on to the filet mignon special (A) and the bbq shrimp & grits appetizer (A), respectively. All four main courses were excellent, and despite everybody at the table pitching in to share DH's crab claws, there were still some left over.

The piece de resistance, however, was dessert. We ordered two for the table: the chocolate cake (as big as your head) express and their award-winning pecan caramel butter crunch. I'm not a big chocolate cake person, but even I could tell that Char's was something special, but for me it was nothing compared to the butter crunch, topped with vanilla ice cream and a Granny Smith apple cinnamon glaze. That might be one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth. It pained me to leave any of it on the plate, I tell you, but eating dinner less than four hours after a big lunch was simply not a challenge I was up for.

Besides the opportunity to catch up with Elizabeth and Tim, one of the best things about our dinner was our server, Lloyd. He was soft-spoken, pleasant, knowledgeable, courteous and he possessed the rare instinct of knowing the exact number of times to check in with us without making us feel rushed, interrupted, or neglected. When I discovered that I had forgotten to photograph the chocolate cake the size of a human head before we all demolished it, he had another one made up in the kitchens for us. That Lloyd. What a sweetheart.

I'd recommend Char in general and Lloyd in particular any time you're looking for a good meal in Jackson. The atmosphere is a pleasant one and the menu offers a good variety of dishes without seeming overwhelming. I'm just sorry it wasn't around when I lived there, but you can bet I'll be back!

• Visited December 2011
Ridgeland, Mississippi
“Good quality food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Dined with my wife and son. We ordered the Spinach Crisp appetizer which was plenty to share. The chicken dish I enjoyed, interesting described as just "Chicken" on the menu, was very well prepared and not dried out as is often found in some restaurants. It sat on a bed of garlic mashed potatoes. I know this is a culinary trend but this forces you to eat both items together making it a strange combination of textures and tastes. I think I will ask them to separate the items next time but that's just my preference. By the way, the mashed potatoes were nice. My wife enjoyed the burger which, despite coming in at $15, was prepared perfectly. The salmon, "Salmon", my son ordered was excellent though the couscous it was sitting on was somewhat flavorless (but he was at least able to separate the items). The wine selection was nice and they are very generous with the drinks. One of my top 5 restaurants in Jackson.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Divine, Divine, Divine!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

What a fabolous place to enjoy dinner. We were looking for a nice place to have dinner and wine in Jackson. My husbband and I sat in the bar near the piano. We had great wine, delicious soup, Crab cakes to die for... for dinner I had the I believe it was the fish of the day (Amberjack) which was awesome and my hubby had a steak. Which he said was one of the best he's had! We would not pass up dessert after letting our food settle. We had some type of butter pecan dessert with icecream; again to die for! Can't wait to visit this place again on out next trip to Jackson. Very great atmosphere also!! Loved it 5 stars!!!!

• Visited October 2011