“A TRUE GEM IN JACKSON” 5 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Jackson, MS
“A TRUE GEM IN JACKSON”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is really a must see in the heart of the city because it has so much to offer. Right now there is an exhibition of Old Masters to Monet, Three Centuries of French Painting, not to be missed, it will be here until 9/8/13. Pick up a complimentary visitor's guide on your way in, or family guide if with children, audio is also available through your cell phone, just ask. There are two major on loan exhibits a year (for which there is a nominal fee), but there is so much more to see (for free): works in all mediums in many galleries, depictions of Mississippi past, present and likely future artists of note. There are inter-active corners and welcome seating scattered throughout. The building's architectural lines are clean and wherever you look, there is something interesting to catch your eye, and that includes the lobby, the cafe, the gift shop, and that fabulous outdoor garden and fountain area. If you live in the vicinity, there are many opportunities to enjoy lectures, movies, concerts and music of all kinds indoors and out, almost all of which are free to the public. Of course food and drink are always available for purchase. We all have our favorites in my family: my husband loves the pre-Columbian artifacts, I love to sit in one gallery, and then the next, taking my time and discovering something different every time I go, and also the monthly Music in the City programs which I attend with friends, my grandkids love the splashpad fountains outside (of course), and they love the lighting of the Bethlehem tree festivities which we attend every December. If I sound like a commercial, good, I hope I'm an effective one, because this museum has so much to offer the community at large, I can't fit it all in this review space. Go online and see for yourself.

New Orleans
25 attraction reviews
“French Old Masters TO Monet Exhibition”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The 50 French Paintings are arranged in chronological order. There is some information by each painting but not as much as required. My daughter is an Art History student & she said in the National Gallery in London there is much more information given. The exhibition has major French names inc. David, Manet, Monet, Delacroix. But the paintings shown are not the major works. However my daughter was thrilled to see 2 paintings from her art exams on display. An audio tour would've been a nice inclusion. The museum parking is a nightmare. It has no dedicated car park. As it was Sunday we parked in a 2 hour small lot & hoped for the best. We were fine. Actually the exhibition took an hour. If you are an Old Masters art lover then this a rare chance to see them down here in the Deep South. Truthfully my grading is better than OK but not great due to the parking & the rest of the Museum. So 3.5 stars.

Visited June 2013
Southaven, Mississippi
26 attraction reviews
“We enjoyed the free permanent collection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We visited in May, 2013. We walked through the free permanent collection and spent more than an hour looking at the paintings and photographs. I'm not an art person, but I really enjoyed some of the scenes and the images. I'd go again.

Two things: while we were there, there was apparently some work going on in back. Not only could we hear hammers banging and saws wailing, but the workers were also playing (loudly) a radio. I realize that progress happens, but the noise was very distracting. Also, I asked about a coat check or storage lockers where I could put my backpack. The girl at the reception pointed me to their coat closet, which turns out to be an unsecured cubbyhole where a few disorganized hangers hung on a rod. I certainly wasn't going to leave a backpack full of my valuables there.

The current traveling exhibit, "Old Masters to Money" costs $12 per person. We decided we'd seen enough art and the additional cost wasn't worth it to us.

Mobile, Alabama
“Monet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Although small, a great museum. The Impressionist exhibit was very good and so their permanent collection. The grounds are beautiful.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
“Nice assortment of art”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I saw the current exhibit (Old Masters to Monet). It was a very interesting presentation of French art. The works showed the progression of French art over hundreds of years. There were lots of familiar names but only one or two of each of their works. I felt like I was back in my college art history class. We briefly viewed some of the other exhibits but were limited in time. The gardens outside were beautiful, too.

Visited April 2013

Been to Mississippi Museum of Art? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Mississippi Museum of Art, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.