“French Old Masters TO Monet Exhibition” 3 of 5 stars

Type: Art Museums
Attraction Details
New Orleans
16 attraction reviews
“French Old Masters TO Monet Exhibition”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The 50 French Paintings are arranged in chronological order. There is some information by each painting but not as much as required. My daughter is an Art History student & she said in the National Gallery in London there is much more information given. The exhibition has major French names inc. David, Manet, Monet, Delacroix. But the paintings shown are not the major works. However my daughter was thrilled to see 2 paintings from her art exams on display. An audio tour would've been a nice inclusion. The museum parking is a nightmare. It has no dedicated car park. As it was Sunday we parked in a 2 hour small lot & hoped for the best. We were fine. Actually the exhibition took an hour. If you are an Old Masters art lover then this a rare chance to see them down here in the Deep South. Truthfully my grading is better than OK but not great due to the parking & the rest of the Museum. So 3.5 stars.

Visited June 2013

Southaven, Mississippi
26 attraction reviews
“We enjoyed the free permanent collection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We visited in May, 2013. We walked through the free permanent collection and spent more than an hour looking at the paintings and photographs. I'm not an art person, but I really enjoyed some of the scenes and the images. I'd go again.

Two things: while we were there, there was apparently some work going on in back. Not only could we hear hammers banging and saws wailing, but the workers were also playing (loudly) a radio. I realize that progress happens, but the noise was very distracting. Also, I asked about a coat check or storage lockers where I could put my backpack. The girl at the reception pointed me to their coat closet, which turns out to be an unsecured cubbyhole where a few disorganized hangers hung on a rod. I certainly wasn't going to leave a backpack full of my valuables there.

The current traveling exhibit, "Old Masters to Money" costs $12 per person. We decided we'd seen enough art and the additional cost wasn't worth it to us.

Visited May 2013
Mobile, Alabama
“Monet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Although small, a great museum. The Impressionist exhibit was very good and so their permanent collection. The grounds are beautiful.

Visited May 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
“Nice assortment of art”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I saw the current exhibit (Old Masters to Monet). It was a very interesting presentation of French art. The works showed the progression of French art over hundreds of years. There were lots of familiar names but only one or two of each of their works. I felt like I was back in my college art history class. We briefly viewed some of the other exhibits but were limited in time. The gardens outside were beautiful, too.

Visited April 2013
Ridgeland, Mississippi
32 attraction reviews
“Excellent regional museum.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Saw "Old Masters to Monet" exhibition last week. Museum exhibits both works from it's permanent collection and prestigious traveling shows. Nice cafe and Art Garden on the campus.

Visited April 2013

Been to Mississippi Museum of Art? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Mississippi Museum of Art, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later