“Great service, decent rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Cabot Lodge Millsaps
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2375 N State St, Jackson, MS 39202-1150   |
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Jackson
Elkridge, Md
“Great service, decent rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

We (family of 4) stayed for 3 nights for a family event. Rooms were what we expected for a mid-range hotel: 2 beds (actually very comfortable), hi-def tv, bath. However, the main lobby was a really great place to hang with the family, and the people working the desk and the bar were incredibly friendly and helpful. Our son even lost his iPod touch one night in the lobby, but by the next night the staff had found and returned it. The barkeeper Cheryl was very friendly and can offer great recommendations for local restaurants, or just someone to chat with.

The earlier reviews mention musty smells and mildew; I have a pretty heightened sense of smell, and I found nothing of this sort. Yes, the rooms are probably 10 years from their last renovation, but ours was clean and functional. Perhaps the hotel licked the problems from early this year? No idea, but for us things were perfectly fine. The service level from the staff made this an easy choice for return over the big chains.

• Stayed October 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

Went to serveral hotels in the middle of the night and had bad experience with the front desk clerks...called Cabot spoke to Andrew at front desk he was so nice. He rolled out the red carpet. Rooms were clean, loved the bath soap(shea butter)at night free bar.OMG best place ever to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
mississippi gulf coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

After reading several bad reviews, I was hesitant to make reservations at this hotel. My husband has a serious medical condition and we were sent to the University Medical Center for a second opinion and we really had no idea how long our stay would be and whether or not he would be hospitalized so I took a leap of faith and chose the Cabot Lodge because of it's location. We received a great discount and were greeted by super friendly staff members. During our stay, several unexpected events have occured and the staff have helped us solve our problems quickly and respectfully. The breakfast is wonderful! Just knowing that we have a hot meal before starting hospital chores eliminates worrying about finding fast food or eating in the cafeteria. The cocktail reception in the lobby every evening is also a great little extra that reminds me of a b&b. Our king sized room is a good size and I have made great use of the desk and wireless service. Overall, our stay has been wonderful and we plan to use this hotel for leisure the next time we are in Jackson.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
santa fe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

I was almost put off from staying at the Cabot Lodge Inn Millsaps in Jackson after reading some of the reviews at Tripadvisor, but it was too late to change my reservations. I'm so glad! The location was perfect for me and so were the accommodations. I had a no smoking room with a king size bed and lots of room to move around and stretch after my work out on the treadmill in the fitness room which includes four pieces of equipment, a full wall of mirrors so the space fills twice as big, and a lovely view out on the tree lined pool area (with a 10 foot deep end).....one of the nicest you will find at any hotel....surrounded by the green landscape of Millsaps College rather than parking lot and noisy hot highways. They provide a full complimentary breakfast of fruit, cereal, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage, toast (including whole wheat), juices and coffee, two waffle makers, and biscuits and gravy in their huge lounge with a multitude of alcoves with computers and TVs. From 5:30 to 7:30 they provide complimentary beverages including beer and wine and all forms of liquor.....and fresh popcorn. On Wednesday evenings they offer something more, the week I was there it was baby back ribs and cole slaw. No kidding. And they offer free highspeed Internet in every room and thorough out the facility. The hotel staff was extremely professional and pleasant. I stayed for 5 nights broken up by a side trip and asked for the same room on my return and got it. The only thing I missed was no Turner Classic Movies on the digital flatscreen TV. Right in the neighborhood are a great locally owned coffee house and a natural food coop, and a number of good restaurants including one of the best restaurants you will find anywhere: Walker's Drive Inn. Pricey for dinner and worth it. I look forward to my next trip to Jackson and my stay at the Cabot Lodge Inn Millsaps.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

Got a great rate, super friendly service, friendly assistant manager, really clean sheets, room overlooking pool and lots of trees. Fun happy hour, lots of friendly people, kids running about. Room itself unremarkable, but big and clean with fridge and microwave. Included breakfast was a great way to start the day. Make your own waffles, cereals, eggs, etc. We had a blast there - kitschy lodge like feel. Really nice kitchen staff too.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

After speaking with a very rude general manager before I checked in to the hotel, I wasn't sure what to expect from the place. We got in on Friday and were one of maybe 4 cars in the parking lot. The hotel stayed pretty empty throughout the whole weekend and I can see why.

I put the Cabot Lodge Millsaps on Motel 6 level, but without the cheap prices. The lobby was very nice but unfortunately we couldn't stay there the whole time. Every floor except for the lobby smelled like mildew and there were random stains around our room. My friend in another room saw a bug crawl across her bed at one point. Our toilet had some issues...every time you flushed it at least one piece of toilet paper stayed in the bowl, even after we called someone to fix it.

The hotel does have a free happy hour which was great. We took advantage of it on Friday, but then on Saturday we came by at the same time, around 6:15, for a drink. The woman at the bar was on the phone and when we asked her about the happy hour she said we'd "just missed it." The day before it had ended at 7:30 so we went to the front desk and asked what time the happy hour ends. The lady at the front desk said "7:30. Did she tell you it was over?" She rolled her eyes and called over to the bar and told the lady to get off the phone and serve some drinks. We went back to the bar and the lady begrudgingly served us.

The whole impression I got from this place was that nobody cared. Nobody seems to be concerned with whether you ever book another room with them. Any level of rudeness and uncleanliness was acceptable. I could maybe deal with this if the hotel was cheap, but it's not! We obviously won't be back.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

We were quoted a discounted price of $99, since I am a Belhaven alumni. Our two rooms were located on the first floor and smelled musty. One toilet did not have a handle to flush with, and we had to report this when we checked in. The bathrooms were small, there were signs of mildew, and the drains in the bathtubs were clogged.

We were there for two nights and the maid never cleaned one room. When we complained, the desk person told us to find the maid and ask her to clean the room. When the maid was told we needed the room cleaned, she said we had left the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door too long, and she could only give us fresh towels. (The sign was not left on the door).

When we went down for breakfast one morning, there were gnats flying around the pastry. My husband told one of the workers about this but nothing was removed. This was very disgusting.

Very disappointing stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Cabot Lodge Millsaps? Share your experiences!