“Great Old New Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 47 hotels in Jackson
Atlanta
“Great Old New Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

A fascinating story of a historic renovated hotel downtown. Very, very nice hotel. Well appointed rooms, comfortable beds. Horrid in-room coffee. Outstanding desk and valet staff. When in Jackson, this is the place for me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Larry H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you kindly for your remarks on our wonderful hotel.
we very much appreciate the time you took to tell others about our hotel and her culture.
Fond regards

382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Heard the hotel was abandoned for 40 years until it was renovated in 2009. The place is awesome. Beautiful lobby area. Good food at the bar. Drinks were small and overpriced though. Breakfast was awesome, but expect to pay 16-18 $. The room was comfy, good bed. Location is around other restaurants, etc to walk to. Definately would stay here again.

G Man

Branson, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I must say that my recent stay at the Hilton Garden King Edwards was excellent. From beginning to end the customer service was top notch. I travel a lot and have stayed in hundreds of Hotel properties and this by far was one of the best stays in a long time. The doormen were Johnny on the spot but I didn't feel like they just wanted a tip, Shajuana, the front desk employee went above and beyond in customer service and attitude. The room was clean, spacious, well decorated and had a Keriug coffee maker...very impressive! The waitress for breakfast along with the cook was friendly and provided excellent guest service. There were many options to choose from for breakfast as well. The hotel is well decorated and clean, very clean. Whenever I'm in Jackson again this will be my hotel of choice.

Room Tip: Room 711 is a great corner suite. If you are looking for a king with lots of space ask for this room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Larry H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for the courtesy of your comments about our hotel and "her" people. We are very proud to counted amongst the fortunate business places which have earned your loyalty and respect.
If i may ever be of service....you have but to ask-
Larry Hollingsworth mgr-
Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The King Edward was a grand hotel of years ago and the building sat empty until Hilton came in and gave it a makeover. The staff is friendly and the breakfast buffet was great, especially the cheese grits. It's still standard food fare but everything tastes better when the staff is so accomodating. Free coffee in the morning downstairs or there is a Seattle's Best located in the corner for lattes and flavored coffees. We were there on Thanksgiving night and the bar and restaurant were open. The beds are adjustable. Ask the front desk. You can control the firmness or softness of your mattress with a switch located on the headboard. We are making this HGI, known locally as the King Edward, our new stay when traveling through Jackson.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Larry H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Many thanks to our friends from Tejas!
We appreciate your courtesy within your comments!
We look forward to seeing again you soon!
ask for Larry the hotel manager... I'll buy you a cup of speciality coffee!
Champaign, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Spent one night here on business in November. The hotel is a little hard to find and the parking is pretty limited, but the hotel makes up for these minor issues. The lobby is absolutely beautiful with white polished marble and a grand staircase greeting your arrival. Check-in was quick and efficient. The desk clerk was very friendly as were the doormen. The room had one of the best showers and bathroom areas that Hilton properties have to offer. There is a Seattle's Best coffee shop next door, which makes breakfast easy and close by. All in all, a real nice place. I wish I could have stayed for a few extra days.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Larry H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thanks so much for your treasured words describing our hotel.
Kindly know the lobby marble is original to the hotel as is the design of the grand staircase.
Come back when you can stay longer...ask for me and the Coffee is on me at Seattle's Best!
louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I made reservations months before our son's November wedding, requesting double beds in rooms for our young men who were serving as groomsmen. When we arrived and checked in, our guys, who are grown men, were assigned king beds because the hotel didn't have available double bed rooms. Imagine how embarrassed we were when these grown men were forced to sleep together because there was no where else to stay!!! The hotel's solution was to send up a roll-away bed for each room. My groom was forced to sleep on this cot the night before his wedding. The hotel made no effort to assist us further, even after friends who booked through Expedia got double beds at a cheaper rate. Additionally, the head desk clerk has got to be the meanest "customer service" clerk I have EVER experienced. Additionally, our suite was a handicapped suite, and the drain in the bathroom was backed up and smelled HORRIBLE!! STAY AWAY from this dump!!! Thank goodness our wedding and reception was at a first-rate facility, as the hotel was a complete zero!!!

Room Tip: stay away!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I always appreciate hearing from our guests - including items of opportunity. I apologize that we were unable to accommodate your reserved room type. Our front desk department goes through a lengthy process each day to ensure that our guests receive exactly the room expected, however at times we do not have the same availability. I am quite distressed that we did not inform you that all suites have an additional and comfortable bed which can be made from unfolding the couch. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience especially during this special time and do hope that the next time you travel to the area you will consider staying with us again.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This historic building in Jackson was completely rebuilt a couple years ago, and the outcome is stunning. This is one of the finest Hilton Garden Inn Hotels that I have stayed in. The hotel is located in the middle of downtown, right next to the Jackson Amtrak train & bus terminal. Being a railroad buff, I chose this hotel because has a view of the railroad line. I enjoy watching the passing trains, but don't let that discourage you if that not your thing. You cannot hear the trains at all! They pass at a very slow speed and the hotel is super sound proofed, not sure how they did it, but you don't hear anything...trains or automobile.

The hotel is a bit upscale for the area, complete with valet parking and bellhops; I think that's over doing it a bit, especially for Jackson. I chose the self parking option ($14.00), which I thought was a rip-off, especially since I only paid $10 for parking at a 4-star hotel in Dallas the night before. The hotel isn't user friendly for self parkers. You will find yourself dragging your suitcase around the parking lot back to the front door of the hotel. The hotel doesn't let guests handle luggage carts, they are for bellhop use only. No side or rear doors to enter the hotel. I credit it as exercise instead of a nuisance, that's positive thinking, right?

The lobby is beautiful, and makes a great meeting place. The hotel has a restaurant and bar, but I didn't patronize either, both a bit pricey for the offerings. There isn't any nearby restaurants within walking distance, so unless you eat in the hotel, plan your dining prior to arrival, or order in a pizza!

The condition of the motel is excellent, rooms are great as well. This building was once the King Edward Hotel, a popular and fancy hotel for its day, but I think the Hilton has it beat! I didn't understand how the sleep number beds work, but the bed was fine, no adjustment was needed. The room has a wide screen TV, microwave and refrigerator, and a fancy new bathroom. I used the free internet to watch a movie; the speed of the internet was excellent!

I would return to this hotel, I just don't care for their parking and luggage handling rules.

Room Tip: There is a fee for parking, valet & self park. Self parkers prepare for a lot of work, they don...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Jackson Downtown? Share your experiences!