“Mixed review but good value if you can stand a little inconvenience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Inn on the Hill

Save Saved
You added Inn on the Hill to your Saves list
Inn on the Hill
Prices are for rooms, adults
Inn on the Hill
6595 US Highway 49 North, Hattiesburg, MS 39401 (Formerly Comfort Inn at Convention Center)   |
Ranked #29 of 32 hotels in Hattiesburg
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Mixed review but good value if you can stand a little inconvenience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

Large spacious room, comfortable, clean except for the corner areas. Check in was very courteous. On our first stay, a problem with a noisy guest in the adjoining room was resolved immediately. Breakfast was a full buffet-style meal; very good. We have already made reservations to stay on our return trip home.

On our second stay the following week, things were a bit different. The first room we were assigned did not have a working stopper in the bathtub. The second room did not have a working toilet or a working phone. The third and final room had an unclean coffee maker, no desk chair (I moved one from the other room), lights on both sides of the bed were unplugged and we had to call for help to move the bed to get to the plug, and this non-smoking room had an ashtray (my husband has respiratory problems so we really needed the non-smoking room we requested). After all the room changes and moves, we were too tired to attempt another room change.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

15 people have reviewed this hotel

New Orleans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

I reserved a room at the Ramada on the Hill well in advance of Hurricane Gustav - before it hit Jamaica - and guaranteed it with a credit card. I spoke with the hotel directly at least 4 times -including the day before arrival to be sure we received a handicap accessible room for a 96 year old wheelchair bound mother-in-law. I was assured I would. On the day of our arrival our reservation was not honored! I had left New Orleans and here I was stranded with no room! Unconscionable behavior!

My confirmation # 56513090!

• Disliked — Did not honor reservation!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Helena, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

Our experience at this hotel was TERRIBLE! It was nothing like I expected. When we first got there, we planned on eating in their restaurant which sounded like it was supposed to be great, but the cook called in sick, (they only have one and couldn't find a replacement?), so the restaurant was not open and we had to go out again after a very long day of traveling. The room was not great, (think Motel 6), but didn't seem too bad at first. That is until we found out the hard way that the toilet seat was not attached well and slid off when you sat down. That's more excitement than I care for when going to the bathroom! After dinner, I went to take a bath and found out that the light in the bathroom turns off after only a few minutes! Then it turned on only when someone walked close to it to turn it on again, so I kept sitting down in the bath and had to keep getting up every few minutes to walk towards the light to activate it again. It's not fun to take a bath in the dark, or with a light switch that seems to be controlled by a ghost with a sense of humor! In addition, the tub had gross stuff coming out from under the bath mat and one of the bedside lamps didn't work. We were there 3 days and, unfortunately, had a non-refundable reservation. They said they would send workmen over to make repairs, but the only thing they fixed was cleaning under the bath mat. In addition to the problems with our room, they were doing remodeling and the workers just left messes everywhere after they finished work for the day and we found a razor blade in the middle of the main walkway! Not good!

• Liked — Inland, central location away from hurricane zone.
  • Disliked — Electrical system was way out of wack, bathroom was dirty and in disrepair.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Senatobia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

When I made my reservations I stressed that I needed 2 adjoining rooms and was told that would not be a problem. On the morning of the day I was to arrive at the hotel I called to confirm that we did indeed have the 2 adjoining rooms and was told that I did. I then told the clerk that it would be after 6:00 PM before we would check in. When I arrived at at the inn, I was given a room on one floor and the other room was located on another floor at the opposite end of the hotel. I took a room with a king size bed and a fold-out couch. I was not told the couch was only big enough for a single person. There were 3 adults and 3 children all piled up in one room with only 1 bed.
There wasn't any sheets for the couch and when I requested sheets I was told to return to my room and search for them again. I had to ask the second time for sheets. When I finally received the sheets I was told there were no extra pillows aside from the 2 pillows on the bed.. We also had only 2 washcloths and 2 towels for 6 people, because apparently there were not any more clean linens either.
I arrived at 6:00 PM and the restaurant was closed. The vending machines were completely empty. A lady and her son were already complaining at the desk regarding these issues.
When I checked in a man was requesting his refund so that he could check out and go to another hotel because this one was very unsatifactory. These scenes should have been clues for me to never have checked in to this place.
If you are just passing through and it is only 1 or 2 of you to stay just overnight, then this place may be okay for you. I frankly don't believe it is worth the price they charge and I will never book my stay here again when I make my yealy run through Hattiesburg.

• Liked — Not much of anything
  • Disliked — Miscommunication regarding requested accomadations
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2006

I had an important event coming up. I had reserved 4 rooms at Inn On The Hill 3 months prior to our son's graduation. I called several times to confirm that the rooms were reserved. The day before we were to arrive I received a call from the sales manager at Inn On The Hill. He stated that they had a pipe burst and had reserved 4 rooms at
University Inn for us. He assured me that University Inn was a comparable motel. University Inn was filthy. There was something brown dried on the wall in the room that my parents stayed in. The bathtubs were so dirty that no one would take a bath in them.
When I spoke to the sales manager at Inn On The Hill he was apologetic but did not offer any compensation. The manager at University Inn has yet to return my call .

Stayed April 2006
, Sales Director at Inn on the Hill, responded to this review, May 25, 2006
While we regret having to move any guest that has prior reservations, this situation was unaviodable due to an issue that came up with our main water line. We did everthing possible to have the problem fixed overnight but the issue took longer than expected. In order to accomodate these reservations, I did locate an alternative location that in my previous experiences was a comparable property. I have worked with University Inn for over 5 years now and this was the first time I recieved a bad complaint about the condition of University Inn's rooms. This is standard procedure for hotels in this situation. Since I did move the guest to another location, I did comp her entire party to our full breakfast buffet, a $64.00 value, for the inconvenience. According to University Inn, any problems that the guest experienced with their hotel is being handled through their management. We at Inn on the Hill have taken nessecarry steps to ensure that any future referrals are carfefully inspected before being recommended to the guest.
Benton, AR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2005

After having two different bad experiences with Hattiesburg motels, we decided to try what we thought was a much better class of motel. Sadly, we were mistaken. The outside is nice and the location up on a hill is nice. However, upon entering the rooms, we found terribly dirty, stained carpet that was just "gummy" it was so old and dirty. The sinks and tubs had not been cleaned, the faucets were dirty, and there was hair on the floors in the bathroom area. The coffee pot still had coffee from the last person that stayed in that room. There was no remote and when we did get one, we had to return it because it didn't work. When we were given another one, we were handed the instructions on how to program it to our television. The microwave also did not work. The furniture is in bad shape. After calling the general manager to no avail and leaving a message, I was called by the desk manager and offered a free night within a year to compensate for the "problem" I had encountered. I explained that I didn't think I would want to go through that again and was told that was all they were willing to do. I was also told I should have asked to be moved to another room, but since the two rooms we were given were both in the same disgusting condition, I didn't see how moving was going to make a difference. The review written before mine was pretty close to describing the shoddy conditions and I doubt seriously they stayed in the same rooms! So, as far as changing rooms at midnight, I didn't see it helping the situation. "No room at the Inn" might be your best bet!

• Stayed June 2005
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Inn on the Hill? Share your experiences!