“football weekend” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 32 hotels in Hattiesburg
tupelo
“football weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

my husband and i traveled to hattiesburg last weekend (aug 31-sept 1) for a football game. the exterior of the hotel was clean, the bed was comfortable, the shower was hot, and the toilet flushed without any problems. the staff at the front desk was quick to check us in and our room was easy to find. the pillows were a minor inconvenience. we had a king bed in our room, but only three standard size pillows. the pillows didn't even cover the entire bed, which was annoying. even with that, the stay was nice.
two things about the hotel kept me from giving it a 5-star rating- the vending machines and the cleaning staff. as i said, we were staying here for football weekend. neither the vending machine nor the drink machine would take coins or dollar bills. i do not know if the drink machine was empty or not, but the vending machine was full. really frustrating when you want a snack after getting in from a football game at midnight. i am not sure what the hotel's system from alerting the cleaning staff to rooms needing to be cleaned is, but they didn't appear to have one while we were staying down there. a very nice elderly gentleman started knocking on our door very loudly about 8am. we initially ignored it thinking it was someone next door, but got up once we realized it was our door he was knocking on. when i opened the door (looking half-asleep, i'm sure) he apologized profusely and moved to the next room. i went back to bed kicking myself for not requesting a do-not-disturb sign from the front desk as there was not one in my room.
overall, this place was a good stay for the price. i would stay here again when visiting hattiesburg. not sure how well it would do for long stays, but it was nice for our quick trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Max26656, Manager at Super 8 Hattiesburg South, responded to this review, September 30, 2013

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 601-264-7668.

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Prattville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was the second visit and was not as good an experience as the first. How do you reason that when you have three or four guests in a room, you only have two wash cloths and three towels? Either one is short, and even asking for extra the first night we had to ask every night for at least enough for each guest. We stayed three nights. There were bugs in the room. The pillows were pitiful! Might as well not had any. The water pressure was terrible. The coffee wasn't refilled after the first night. We actually ended up in the exact same room as our first visit four months earlier. We thought it was, and when we got in the room and found the same broken ironing board, we knew it was. Not sure that we'll stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Pearl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

You sometimes get disturbing or rowdy people staying at motels when the rates are so very decent. However, we had no loud noise and the rooms were very comfortable. The staff was so very nice...We stayed 2 separate nites and both times they were very polite and accomodating...Thanks

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

League City, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were making a long road trip with 3 kids and chose the Super 8 in Hattiesburg MS as a halfway point. I called the hotel after I booked the room online and asked them for 2 beds, they informed me that they only had single rooms left. I booked with a travel site so that was fine, as there was nowhere on the booking to reserve separate beds. When we got to the hotel there was a lady working behind the counter who not only did not acknowledge that I had walked in, but instead continued her conversation with her friend who was hanging out in the lobby with her kids. Once they had decided that the friend was going to take her kids to the movies and left the desk clerk acknowledged my presence. I asked about a roll away bed and was told that they did not have any. I was declined 3 times when making reasonable requests and told with great condescension that "That's what you get when you book through Priceline". I understand that I did not book direct and did not pay full fare, but is that seriously the way guests are to be treated?

I accepted the defeat and we made our way to the room, which had a very clearly marked "No Smoking" sign on the door. This, as well as the no smoking sign in the lobby, was a relief to me as my kids have allergies. The relief only lasted long enough to get the door open though, since the room smelled more like a bar than a hotel room. The smell of smoke was so thick that it could be tasted when breathing. I did get a kick out of the ashtray ironically placed near the no smoking sign in the room. I called the front desk and was told that regardless of the sign I was in fact in a smoking room and "That's what you get when you book through Priceline. I thought we might could make the best of it until one of my kids used the bathroom and the plumbing let out a scream like a screeching cat, that lasted a good 2 minutes. I said, OK, let's just go to bed and pulled back the sheets to find dirt. Not stained sheets, dirt. Little balls of actual dirt. I called the front desk to ask for another room and they were booked. I asked for a refund and was told that there was nothing they could do, and once again I was informed that "That's what you get when you book through Priceline. I have booked through Priceline on several occasions and in fact am typing this review from a very nice room that I booked through Priceline as well, so I am very aware that not all hotel experiences that are booked through Priceline turn out horribly. I don't know what employees the other reviewers dealt with or what rooms they stayed in, but I can promise that room 212 was not one that got good reviews. I will never stay at a Super 8 again and will in the future be apprehensive about using Priceline to book for fear that I will land back in that situation.

Super 8 should be ashamed of the hotel on Churchill in Hattiesburg and the welcome and cleaning crews need some more training.

Room Tip: To get the best room, avoid this hotel like the plague, which it might actually have...