“Excellent Food in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 223 Restaurants in Hattiesburg
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
“Excellent Food in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We've had lunch and dinner at Half Shell Oyster House numerous times. Each time the food has been excellent. The location may be a little "out of the way" from the city, but absolutely worth the extra mile or two!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Hattiesburg, Mississippi, United States
“Steak you can cut with your fork”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Was told by several of my friends that the steaks were great here so I decided to try it out. I was NOT disappointed!! My husband and I went to the Hattiesburg location on 9/14/13. I had the 8oz Filet Orleans with the caesar salad and Cajun Boiled parmesan/garlic new potatoes. My husband had the Uptowner with the Chargrilled Asparagus. I ordered my steak medium and although it came well-done, I was not sending it back. After the first bite, I was hooked. It was so very tender and full of flavor. The shrimp that came on top was very tender as well. My husband liked his sandwich but said he would probably order a steak the next time we go. I enjoyed everything I ate and we both cleaned our plates. Our bill was right at $46. We both had soft drinks with our meal and no dessert. I feel that that was very reasonable for the quality of food that we had. My only complaint (which is very small) was that our waiter was not very attentive. I had eaten 1/2 my steak before he came over to ask if everything was okay and to our liking. It was only then that he saw that our glasses were empty. Other than that, I enjoyed every bit of our visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
tupelo
“LOVE it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

my husband and i stopped by here specifically for the oysters. we live several hours from anywhere that serves them and refused to leave hattiesburg without eating some. we were not disappointed! we ordered a dozen raw oysters, a dozen charbroiled oysters, royal reds, and voodoo shrimp. everything was amazing. we were seated immediately upon entering the restaurant. the waitress was extremely sweet and checked on us A LOT. the restaurant was mostly quiet, with only ten or so tables full (we arrived before the football game ended). the food was quickly prepared and delivered still hot. the only negative during the whole experience was waiting a little over five minutes for our waitress to initially show up, but she made up for it with her hospitality. overall, a very pleasant experience. this is definitely somewhere we will stop every time we are anywhere near hattiesburg!

Cynthiana, Indiana
“Great seafood!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Fried shrimp was great. Collard greens well seasoned. My wife really enjoyed her oyster platter. Bananas Foster cheesecake was a real hit! Service was top notch!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Love the Voodoo shrimp!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We love Half Shell in Biloxi so we thought we would try this location while we were in Hattiseburg. We had a long wait but it was worth it. They have a call ahead policy so you don't have to wait as long. They don't take reservations but call them when your headed that way and let them know..I will remember that next time for sure.Salads are wonderful my husband likes the grilled oysters and I LOVE the voodoo Shrimp. I wish I has some now. They have a verity of everything so give them a try. I'm a very pickie eater and I love it!!

• Visited July 2013