“Poor to average depending on the room you get” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn University

You added Clarion Inn University to your Saves list
Clarion Inn University
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6541 Highway 49, Hattiesburg, MS 39402 (Formerly Comfort Inn University)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Hattiesburg
Everett, Washington
“Poor to average depending on the room you get”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on a Friday and a Sunday night while my mom was in the hospital there in Hattiesburg. When I walked in the room the first night, I was pleased with how attractive the room appeared. I was exhausted from having flown across the country and had spent the prior night in the hospital room with my mom on a poor excuse for a bed, and of course staff were in and out all night, so I had very little sleep. Any way, I got into bed and I noticed it smelled like a dog who desperately needed a bath. I was so tired that I scooted to the other side of the bed hoping no dog had slept on that side. It seemed fine so I went to sleep. Next morning I turned on all the lights and opened the shades. I saw there were tiny burnt areas on the comforter and what appeared to be some hairs that didn't belong to me on one of the pillows that I didn't use. I stayed in a different room on Sunday night with my sister and it was much cleaner. The price was good for the room, or at least for the clean room. The front desk ppl were nice.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I arrived there and asked the desk clerk if they would honor my book coupon for a reduced rate,and she said that they would. After that,the mgr came in and castigated her right in front of me for giving me my room at that price,saying that they "had a budget to meet." Shame on him for being totally unprofessional.. Tell me,kind sir,why do you have coupons in those travel booklets if you don't intend to honor them? You really should treat your employees better than that. She was humiliated right in front of me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel on our way to Florida (July 13, 2012) for a family vacation. We pricelined the two rooms and arrived around 1:00 am. We were weary when we pulled in to find that the hotel is an exterior corridor hotel that advertises weekly and monthly rates. The only rooms left were smoking rooms and they were definitely smoking rooms because they wreaked of smoke. One room's keys didn't work so we had to have the front desk open the door with the master key and leave the door unlocked to reenter the room. Also, the floor was dirty with bugs and even cigarette wrapping in the floor. Both rooms had holes in the walls and the ceiling tape falling. The other room had urine all over the toilet and in the floor of the bathroom.

Room Tip: Book a room outside of town at the new Holiday Inn Express if you are traveling through Hattiesburg...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
HenryP300, Manager at Clarion Inn University, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
I have never responded to a Trip Advisor review before. However, I feel in this case, it is necessary.

We were experiencing a sell out weekend when these folks checked in. We did run out of non-smoking rooms and to make matters worse, we accidentally checked them into a room that was supposed to be out of order. You have no idea how very embarrassed we are by that. There is no excuse for it and I made none when I did not charge them. We do our best to make sure these things never happen, but it did this time. I did apologize and also offered a free night stay next time they are in the area to make sure they experienced us at our best.

Nevertheless, as you can plainly see by the vast majority of our other reviews, The Comfort Inn University has an excellent staff that takes great pride in their professions and our accomodations are a great value for families and business travelers alike.

Though we may deserve criticism for our mistake in this case, (and we do) our rooms are NOT disgusting and we serve as much if not more repeat business than many of our competitors. That would not be the case if this review was an accurate representation of our beautiful campus farmhouse property.

I check Trip Advisor myself when selecting places to stay while traveling and I do hope this "overly harsh" review does not prevent us from meeting you the next time you are in Hattiesburg.

Henry Piarrot-GM
Comfort Inn University
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
601-264-1881
North America
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Had car trouble and had to stop in Hattiesburg on a Sunday evening. Needed a place to stay and this was close to the interstate. Staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful with suggestions of repair shops. Room was clean and comfortable. Nice fitness center in lobby.

Breakfast was acceptable--usual fare. God internet connection in room and nice selection of channels on the tv.

Overall good experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Hoover, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

My room was clean and comfortable. I left too early to tell you much about the breakfast but the staff was friendly and helpful. I only stayed 2 nights but my son stayed for a week while working in the area and he was satisfied as well. I will stay here again when back in the area. Convienent to the freeway and So. Miss. campus.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Mobile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Centrally located with easy access to everything in town. I had a minor glitch checking in as the Desk Manager, Lee Kinabrew, mistakenly had me checking in on the day I made the reservation. His disposition was one of 'forced courtesy'. The room was spacious, well lit and clean. I was happy that there was a desk and plenty of electrical outlets. The bathroom was spacious and clean except for the ring around the rim inside of the toilet bowl. The towels were plentiful but showing signs of age. The bed was very comfortable. I had to work late into the evening so I did not avail myself of the complimentary cocktails. I also had to be out early so I missed the breakfast. One other note about the room is that the stucco is falling off the ceiling in small chips. Ingress and egress were complicated by a huge thunderstorm. The drainage of the parking lot was not good. I had to cross a few large, deep puddles to get to my car.

Room Tip: Talk to anyone other than Lee Kinabrew.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Douglas, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I stayed overnight at this Comfort Inn and found it to be very clean and staffed with wonderful, friendly folks ready to help. The breakfest was typical continental with pastries, bread, waffles etc, but don't be late! When I arrived at 8:30 it was nearly gone. But the efficiency of the staff, the clean room and friendliness of everywhere outweighed a typical breakfest. Stay there, for the price you won't regret it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Inn University? Share your experiences!