“Friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 32 hotels in Hattiesburg
Dallas, Texas
“Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

A great location in Hattiesburg and the region. The staff is always kind and wonderful. Hard to find friendly staff these days. Great job at this location. The upgrade to a suite styled room was awesome. A great place for one night or really great for longer stays. Spacious rooms and great kitchenette-like areas and table to eat at. The whirlpool tub in the room was perfect. The housekeeping staff here must work extra hours... the rooms were very clean. (The lobby decor is very strange, but at least it is original and unique).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife and I traveled to Hattiesburg to visit our daughter at college, and stayed at this hotel April 19 - April 21. To say we had a terrible experience would be an understatement.

We arrived on Friday night, and by bedtime there was a party raging in the hallways. At 2:30 a.m. we finally attempted to call the front desk, but there was no answer. Fifteen minutes later, we were finally able to get in touch with a young lady, who said she was away from the desk because she was attempting to break up the party. Unfortunately, she was only successful in moving the party out of the hallway. It seems the party was dispersed to two different places - the room next door and the parking lot. Car stereos boomed in the parking lot for some time, and the television blared from next door until around 3:30 a.m.

The next night, the prom crowd kept us awake until after 3:00 a.m. Also, there was obviously someone sick in the room next door, as they were coughing the entire night. The soundproofing between the rooms is so poor that it sounded like the sick person was in the same room as us.

On Sunday morning, we were too sleep-deprived to leave the hotel for breakfast, so we decided to dine in the restaurant. Bad decision. The eggs, bacon, potatoes, and sausage gravy on the buffet were all cold, and I pointed this out to our server. She replied that she would address this with the cook, but made no attempt to get any hot food out to us. Additionally, the housekeeping/wait staff (at least 7-10 people)`were eating breakfast from the buffet. Frankly, I believe it is extremely unprofessional for employees to eat food that should be reserved for the guests. Perhaps management should focus on caring for the guests' needs, rather than feeding their employees.

This establishment has one of the higher price points among hotels in the Hattiesburg area. We chose to stay at this hotel and pay a higher rate so that we could be assured of a comfortable night's rest. The management and staff miserably failed to provide this most basic necessity. We travel frequently, and Holiday Inn is often our hotel of choice. We have never stayed at a Holiday Inn that has presented us with so many problems, and have certainly never paid this rate to stay in a "party hotel".

Room Tip: Go to another hotel...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mark R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hattiesburg, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
I was very disappointed to hear of the problems you encountered. However, I do appreciate you bringing the matter to my attention. As the new General Manager I take great pride in the quality of product and services we offer our guests. It is obvious that we fell below those standards during your stay. I sincerely apologize for this and assure you that I will follow up on your comments.

Please accept my apology for any inconvenience you experienced. I have issued a full refund of to your MasterCard. I hope you will give us another try on your next visit to Hattiesburg to visit your daughter. If I can be of assistance, please feel free to contact me anytime.
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was in Hattiesburg to visit a relative in the area. Decided to stay at the Holiday Inn rather than imposing on my brother and his family. Upon arrival, the first impression was just OK. The decor of the lobby is a little odd. Got to the room, and again, it was just OK. Wasn't real impressed with the quality of cleanliness in the bathroom, actually, it was a little frightening. Lots of hair, stains in the toilet and tub, paper underneath the vanity. I called the front desk and they sent someone up who made a futile attempt to tidy up. It was better but still not "clean". About 2am Saturday morning there was a raging party going on in the room next door and in the hallway. I called the front desk 3 times but never got an answer. I finally went into the hall and found about a dozen college age kids drinking and just having a good ole time at the expense of everyone else. I asked them to keep the noise down and all they did was move the party into the room. The noise level never got better. After about another half hour I called the front desk again and still got no answer. Another 15 minutes went by and I got dressed and went to the lobby - there was no one to be found. I looked in every conceivable location and found not one person. After being in the lobby and around the 1st floor for a good 10 to 15 minutes I started to write a note to the clerk and she finally showed up. Her excuse was that she'd been making coffee. I had been trying to reach someone at the desk for the better part of 1 1/2 hours. Making coffee? Probably taking a nap somewhere. My wife and I were finally able to get some sleep about 4:30. It was absolutely the worst experience I've had in a hotel. I won't go back and certainly would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay. I was disappointed to read of the problems you encountered during your stay… However, I do appreciate you bringing the matter to our attention.

As the new General Manager we have our challenges and are working hard to correct those issues, I sincerely apologize for this and assure you that your issues will be resolved.

Best regards,
columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

When you check in they give you 2 free drink coupons, off to a great start there. They have a good restaurant as well as a nice selection of draft beers on tap whoohoo. Probably could use a complimentary breakfast though, 12.00 for breakfast doesn't work and nobody's buying it anyway or so it looked. another perk though is that this town or hotel buy location is just under a 2 hr run to the french quarter in New orleans, outstanding.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Vicksburg, MS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I chose this hotel because I had to come to Hattiesburg for work and I am on a special diet. I wanted a cooktop in the rooom and reliable Internet service. Upon check in, I was not given a room with a cooktop despite being promised one when I made my reservation. Then when I it to my room I needed to send some email for work. The Internet would not connect, I was given 20 choices of which Internet to choose and I could not connect. The three things I needed, cooktop, Internet and cleanliness I did not get. Cleanliness was ok but there are half naked Greek statues in the lobby. If the hotel isn't for business travel who is it for?

There was ONE person at the check in desk at 3:00, who was very overwhelmed.

• Stayed March 2013
Mark R, Manager at Holiday Inn Hattiesburg, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
I was disappointed to here of the problems you encountered during your stay. As the New General Manager, I do appreciate you bringing the matter to my attention. We are currently working to improve our access points within the hotel for our wireless internet and as always wired service located at each guestroom desk.

I sincerely apologize for this and assure you that I will follow up on your comments with my staff concerning your room type.Please accept my apology for any inconvenience you experienced. If I can be of assistance, please feel free to contact me at anytime. (601-296-0302)

Mark Ratcliff
Jackson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is my first time to stay at this HI. I normally stay at the Staybridge Suites next door but they were booked however I may be switching to this hotel from now on. I enjoyed my stay. The lobby was really nice and pleasent. The room I had was a king with a sofa, separate kitchen area with full size fridge, micro, two burner stove and sink. Nice size room facing the interstate but I didnt hear any noise. The shower had good pressure and was warm in no time. I ordered room service and it was pretty good. Had the club sandwich and hot wings and it was delivered very quickly. All in all I would stay here again if I am in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mark R, Manager at Holiday Inn Hattiesburg, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
As the new General Manager, my staff and I take great pride in the quality of product and services we offer our guests. Reading your review gave me a great sense of pride in knowing that we have successfully met our goal of guest satisfaction. Your positive comments are greatly appreciated and will be shared with the entire staff.
Vicksburg, Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I am very unhappy with my second visit at this property. First of all, let me briefly discuss my first experience. A couple of months ago, I stayed at this property and there were several things wrong with my room. First, there was pubic hair in the bed. I called the front desk and the housekeeper came to remake the bed with king bed sheets - though I had a queen bed. The toilet handle was broken, and to top it off, I had an executive suite with a full refrigerator and cook top; however, there were no pans, no utensils, no dishes, no paper towels, no dish cloths - NOTHING. I made a complaint and requested that management contact me upon checkout but I never heard anything from anyone. Being that I was in the area, and the hotel was conveniently located, I decided to give them a second chance. Upon entering the room, the room appeared to be clean UNTIL I went into the bathroom where the tub was nasty. The tub had dried gray substance on it, the shower head was unclean (someone's hand print was on it). Pictures are posted. By the way, it was room 307. They moved me to another room where once again there is a problem. The room had poor water pressure for the toilet system and it took forever for it to refill. The water is BROWN (what gives???) and to top it off, one of the towels in the bathroom had dark brown stains on it. You would think that housekeeping would have enough sense to have thrown the towel away - IF THEY CHECKED IT.... Damn shame!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hattiesburg, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear K C,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Hattiesburg? Share your experiences!