“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Hattiesburg
Germantown, Tennessee
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here multiple times and evert time has been great. Clean rooms and friendly staf. Check in is always quick and convienent. Staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are modern and updated. The showers even have the lower jets. Close to the university and the interstate. Will stay there again for sure.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Overall, it was a nice and clean place. I didn't notice anything unsanitary. It was worth putting up with a few inconveniences just to have easy access to Hwy. 49 and the convention center. The wifi worked great, but they changed the access code daily and I had to call the front desk for it. The kitchen chairs were wobbly and stained. The bed comforters and skirts were also stained.

If noise bothers you, I wouldn't recommend this hotel on weekends. Weekdays should be fine as long as there's not something going on in town.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012 via mobile

I will definitely stay here again. The beds are comfy and rooms are clean. The staff was super helpful. The location is off the interstate, but not at the exit with lots of restaurants; however, it's a 5 min drive. My only warning is for people with scent sensitivities; they use a fragrant cleaning product in the lobby, but not in the rooms.

• Stayed January 2012
Gulfport, Mississippi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn in Hattiesburg, MS at the crossroads of Interstate 59 and Hwy 49 for a business meeting. The room where the meeting was held was absolutely freezing and I began to sneeze and my nose was running, I was chilled and shivering. I was not the only person who was cold, there were quite a few participants as miserable as I was. For some reason requests to turn the A/C to a warmer temperature was an impossible task to perform because it stayed freezing for the entire 8 hour day.

Lunch was provided by the Holiday Inn kitchen (there is a restaurant on premises) and it was a fairly good lunch. Coffee and drinks were provided as well as iced water but who wanted cold water when 85% of us at the meeting were chilled to the bone?

Then, that evening, after the meeting, I checked into my room. I had given specific requests for a strictly non-smoking room as I have asthma and allergies. The room that had been chosen for me wasn't cleaned yet (a housekeeping shortage of staff) so I was put on a different floor. When I walked into my room, it was absolutely freezing too! And also, the strong smell of Febreeze or some air freshener was choking me. That is always a sign to me that even though the room is degsignated as non-smoking, someone has smoked in there and the housekeeping staff is covering it up. I switched the A/C unit to heat and warmed the room up and stopped noticing the smell of air freshener after an hour or so, so thought the room would do. (Possibly the housekeeper had just finished cleaning the room a few minutes before I took occupancy of it.) The room was basically clean but there were spots that were not clean and had everything from crumbs to a stained and soiled looking shower stall floor.

The wifi internet did not work properly, as another commenter mentioned, so when you logged on about 8 different wifi access sources popped up and none would connect properly, so I gave up trying to use my laptop. The TV was so-so, but I wasn't there to watch TV, I was attempting to get some paperwork done. The walls seemed thin and I could hear other guests next door to my room yelling, laughing and bumping around in their rooms. I regretted not bringing earplugs but by the time I went to sleep that night I either was so exhausted or everyone had quieted down, that I slept pretty well. The bed was comfortable. That seems to be one of the things that keeps me coming back to Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express, the beds are comfortable.

The next day some important business was to take place in the conference room downstairs again and breakfast was provided before the activities began. The breakfast was good and the service good as well. The buffet style set up for the breakfast was kept adequately restocked, so no complaints about that. Basically the food was good. They had had some very good catfish the day before. I will give credit where credit is due.

As the business meeting began, I and the other participants in my group became very quiet, as this was a certification test that would give us a professional advantage if we did well on the questions on the test. During this time our conference room was freezing again and my nose began running. Also, and this was the worst thing that happened over the entire stay, the kitchen crew next door to our conference room was screaming, laughing and clanging pots and whatnot around VERY LOUDLY which broke all of our concentration for our task at hand. It continued and continued, even after the kitchen employees were asked nicely to be quiet and told why we were asking this of them!

Due to the conditions at this hotel, I am afraid I did not live up to the standards expected on this certification test to further my career with this certificate of knowledge. I could NOT concentrate! This really upset me greatly and I think upset some of the other participants that were there that morning. I am so soured on this hotel, I would not stay there again under any circumstances. NEVER again!

This was a very unpleasant stay and also, I am hoping I am not sick with a cold from being frozen to death for 2 days. My elderly parents are celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary this weekend and I will not be able to attend if I am contagious because since my parents are in their 80s, I dare not expose them to anything contagious that could turn into a serious illness in someone their age!

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to ANYONE! What an ordeal I have been through! And to add insult to injury my night's stay cost me $111! I say for what? Being tortured? Having my hopes to further my career dashed?

Room Tip: If it does any good, emphasize that you have special needs if you have a chronic illness, like I do...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
HI39402, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hattiesburg, responded to this review, December 9, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write this review on our Hotel on November 10th. We take all feedback seriously, regret that we did not meet your expectations and offer our sincere apology.

It is often requested by meeting organizers to have the rooms cooler due to the high number of people to occupy a space for extended periods of time. We would love to be able to meet everyone's climate comfort needs, but unfortunately, are not always able to do so. After receiving your review, we gave the banquet and kitchen crew some feedback on how they can affect the events both in a positive and negative way. We showed them how they can be heard even with the doors closed and they should take better care to be quieter and more respectful during events in the adjoining rooms.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the food and the your guest room once you made it the temperature that was most comfortable for you. We received numerous compliments on the quality and taste of the food over this event from your co-attendees.

Please know that we have taken action to ensure this problem does not occur again at our hotel and thank you for the bringing the matter to our attention.

Angela Peterson
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We were late driving and by chance were able to book a room at this hotel. Even though it was late, the staff was friendly and upbeat. Met every need we had with a friendly face that made us feel right at home. The rooms are nothing fancy but, comfortable and clean...... They do have breakfast available but, we were in a hurry to get on the road so we missed it. Fresh coffee was available as we left and fresh fruit all around for us to take. Wish every hotel we stayed at was this nice and inviting.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
HI39402, Manager at Holiday Inn Hattiesburg, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Thank you so much for your recent stay and review of your experience at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Hattiesburg! We really appreciate guest feedback and you seemed to mention all the aspects that we focus on for a great stay.

It's all due to a great staff that we are able to provide such well-maintained guest rooms and common areas along with excellent guest service. We strive to have every guest leave as satisfied as you did.

Once again, thanks for the great review and staying with us! We hope you stop through for a visit again your next time through Hattiesburg! Hopefully, you will have the time to stay for breakfast!

Take Care,
Angela Peterson
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This was my second time to stay at this property. It is convenient to shopping and resturants. I had room service one night and the on sight resturant is good. The room was larger than many other hotels. It had a nice walk in shower and extra storage in the bathroom. The televisions should be updated. The room was clean. I will agree with some of the other reviews that the walls are a bit thin. The staff was friendly and helpful. Enjoyed the free internet but no free breakfast was provided. I am sure we will be back!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Mobile, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Nice hotel, nice lobby, mixed results on the front desk staff. Trying to make reservation direct with the hotel was an exercise in frustration. Once I got there they were fine. Also, couldn't get the internet in the room to work. They have a very odd way of connecting, listing a dozen or more connections. It was like playing Wack-A-Mole with the wi-fi. I never did get on. Oh well. Bottom line is next time I'm in Hattiesburg, I'm staying here, but am going to get the wi-fi thing worked out before I check in.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Hattiesburg? Share your experiences!