“Rude staff -- I will not stay here again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn

You added Clarion Inn to your Saves list
Clarion Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9445 Highway 49, Gulfport, MS 39503 (Formerly Hampton Inn Gulfport)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Gulfport
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Rude staff -- I will not stay here again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed here during Cruisin' on the Coast (our second year here). There was hair in the bath-tub from the previous tenant. The rest of the room was fine. We were near the elevator but it was not disturbing. The "free" breakfast is what you would expect -- cereal, some muffins, juice. It is acceptable. My problem was upon check-in and check-out. I called three times to get the "credit card" situation straight. The manager "Lisa" was rude to me and not accomodating. I see there are other complaints about the staff in other customer reviews.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisa C, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to express your comments on your recent stay with us! I am truly sorry you felt there was customer service issues involved. During our conversation we discussed a resolution to your credit card issues and it was to your satisfaction so I was unaware of any other issues. Please contact me at the hotel for further discussions on this matter.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Piggott
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I booked 12 rooms for 2 nights. 2 days before we were to arrive, I called to "confirm" again. I was told I didn't have any rooms, the group person had quit and we had no reservation. After 24 hours of panic, I was told they found enough rooms for us (I had 36 kids with me) and cut the rate $20 a room. We arrive at the hotel late one night only to have a room of our boys walk in on another room of boys! They apologized, didn't know how that could have happened, and gave us a rollaway to make due for one night since they were totally booked and we all scrunched up. We were able to get 12 rooms the next night and they told us they wouldn't charge us. I had given a pre-written school check the night we checked in. Upon checkout, I was given a check back for $88. After explaining to the desk girl that we were owed more money than that (since the room rate had been lowered), she told us she couldn't give us cash and that it would have to be a check and she wasn't authorized to write them. We asked her who was and she said the manager, but she's in a meeting. Finally after some time (she waited on others), she told us the manager wouldn't be back until 1:00. I told her I had 36 kids whose parents were expecting them at a certain time that night (it was 10:00 am when this all started). She said she couldn't help it. I asked her where the meeting was and she said, "on the property." I said, then go get her. She said "oh no, she's in a meeting with choice executives." I said "great, because choice executives need to hear about this!" After some time, she called for someone to go get her. My co-sponsor said I'll go with you. It was clear that he had no intention of going to get the manager, but because of my co-sponsor's insistence, he did. When they knocked on the door and asked for her, the manager came out and said to my co-sponsor, "you got me out of a meeting for this?!!!" She was very hateful but came to the front desk. She tried to explain to me how I was only owed $88. I kept telling her no, that it was much more than that. Finally I said, how much is a room a night with tax. She told me, so then I said, "then take that number and multiply by 22 and just subract!" Flustered and mad, she then went to the back office and about ten minutes later came out with a check for $492. She was still mad. I'm not sure what about anymore, but what a way to treat your customers!! The rooms were okay, nothing special. A few hairs in my bathroom, but the management is definitely the worst issue. I gave two stars because the rooms were decent enough and the one desk clerk that had worked so hard to find us the rooms and lowered the price for us, was extremely nice. However, Ms. Couch had her in tears by the time we left.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We chose the Clarion based on other's reviews and were not disappointed. Though is is a very large property, we were not bothered by outside noise. The pool area is well maintained. It is toddler friendly with steps that run the width of the pool. Poolside towels were a nice plus.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lisa C, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thanks for letting us know how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us! We are glad that you got the time to enjoy our pool with your family and that it was toddler friend for the little one! Hopefully we will see you again in the near future!
Crestview, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We only stayed one night on our way home back to Florida. Check in was fast and the staff was very friendly. The room was quiet and clean with the exception of the bathroom sink and counter. I wiped it down myself which was no big deal to me. The bed was comfy and there were two types of pillows on the bed to choose from. Lots of places to eat in the surrounding area and an outlet mall behind the hotel. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the bottom floor and it was quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to rate our hotel! It's your feed back that makes us strengthen our guest service skills for the next time you come and stay with us! We hope to see you soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The Clarion Inn while on a weekend birthday getaway to Gulfport / Ship Island. Staff was friendly, rooms were clean and comfortable. Price was fair. We would most likely look into staying here again on a return trip.

• Stayed June 2013
Lisa C, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
I am truly sory that your recent stay didn't meet the other than perfect experience we try to give all of our guest! Please contact me directly so that I may have further conversations about your stay! Thank You!
Greenville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I arrived to the hotel very late at night, my experience with the first night clerk was excellent. He was very professional and helpful. Check-in was speedy and the first maintenance gentleman in the lobby provided some great fun things to do while on vacation. After the arrival experience, it went downhill. My sheets were not changed, no wash cloths were left in my room, and the second evening desk clerk did not answer the telephone that rang about 75 times. I walked down to the front desk only to find the second evening desk clerk and another employee outside smoking and having a length conversation. Once downstairs, the night clerk went to his car and left the maintenance employee to handle my complaint. The second maintenance gentleman was nice and he informed me that it was very hard for the Clarion Inn to find good help that is one of the reasons I did not receive towels, have my sheets changed, or that my room was not cleaned properly. (There were hand prints on the mirror for my entire three day stay and I was given a roll of towel paper that looked like it had been dropped in the toliet and dried out). Nonetheless, I received clean sheets however they were out of wash cloths. I was handed bath mats. I was told that was all they had in house. I received an apology from the maintenance as well as the front desk clerk after I called to inform them that I was given bath mats. IF YOU ARE STAYING HERE, BRING YOUR OWN CLEAN SHEETS AND TOWELS. OH YEAH, HOUSEKEEPING MIGHT CLEAN YOUR ROOM PROPERLY!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lisa C, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a online review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly so that we may have further communication on your stay!
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We arrived in Gulfport on our travelling honeymoon. After finding it on Hotels.com, we stopped. It is right off the hwy and just minutes from a public beach. We got there the night clerk, Liz, greeted us with open arms. I say this because when we arrive it was a few minutes into the NBA finals, and a storm had gone through and knocked out their cable. That being said, she was on hold with the cable company on speaker and answering calls from hotel visitors. She was very busy, but went above and beyond to get us checked in, in the midst of her madness. She was able to tell us where to go to view the game and where to get a good local meal. The room was clean, we had enough towels ect. The hot breakfast was great. When we attempted to get the room another night, we were told by new front office staff the price was now doubled because it was Friday (weekend rates) We were disappointed to say the least, so we checked out and moved on. Thank you Liz for your help, you were great!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisa C, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments about our hotel! We appreciate any feed back from our guest that we can get! I have also passed on your comments to Liz so that she can know all of her hard work is appreciated!

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!