“The Train Ruined It” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Gulfport Beachfront

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Gulfport Beachfront to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Gulfport Beachfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1600 East Beach Boulevard (Highway 90 & Pratt Avenue), Gulfport, MS 39501-2103 (Formerly Gulfport Beachfront Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #10 of 28 hotels in Gulfport
Tupelo, Mississippi
“The Train Ruined It”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

First let me state that the staff here is wonderful, no doubt about that. The main problem that I had was that I travel...a lot and as such I am a platinum member. During a recent stay I was not given an oceanview room but instead I was across the hall. I did not think much about this although I was a little bummed out. The problem came in the middle of the night while I was trying to sleep. Instead of the sound of the ocean or maybe even traffic, I woke up to the blare of a train whistle coming through. Startling to say the least. To make things worse, a couple hours more another train comes through. This is a very regular occurrence. I noticed where some people have reviewed that they could not hear the train or that they strained to hear it. They must have been lucky enough to either be on the oceanview side or the luxury of being partially deaf. I am sure that if there was anyway possible that the great staff would have silenced the train...the staff was really that good, but alas they couldn't but it is because of them that they get a Very Good rating instead of a poor rating.

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view if possible...by the way, good luck sleeping through the train.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardB, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Gulfport Beachfront, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Your wonderful words about our staff puts a smile on my face. Unfortunately the train is a thorn in all of our sides. At this point all of us would love to move those tracks far away from the hotel. Other then that, so glad you enjoyed your stay. I hope you can come back and get a gulfview room.

196 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We went for a quick weekend get away and found a gem of a hotel. Every hotel has beds and bathrooms but few have personality. This staff made an ordinary stay extra ordinary from check in to breakfast and the friendly bar tender all made this limited service hotel anything but!! We look forward to our next quick get away!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I arrived to the hotel around 1 am hoping to catch a few hours of sleep before a 9 am meeting. Little did I know that a freight train runs every two hours (2:30, 4:30, 6:30) during the night with horns blazing. Good luck getting any sleep. In addition the air conditioning was just as loud as the train when it cycled on and off all night. I stayed in room 315 which is way to close to the ice machine and coke machines which are in the hall way (not in a closed in room) so between the trains, the AC and the ice machine cycling all night there was not much sleep. The rooms need updating, the carpet is so thin, even with socks on you feel the floor through the carpet. If I ever find myself in Gulfport I will stay somewhere else - Gold Status with Marriott doesn't mean that I will always stay at a Marriott, I do need to be able to sleep!

Room Tip: ask for a room that doesn't back onto the rail road tracks.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Absolutely wonderful hotel and experience. The staff was friendly and courteous. My room was clean and had a view of the beach! Highly recommend for anyone looking for a relaxing weekend at the beach with a couple of fun nights at the casinos mixed in!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are waaaaaay overpriced.... Our room was dirty and for you business travelers there is no way to secure your company laptop... Period. No one did anything to correct anything and I will NEVER stay here again .... Look for different accommodations there are plenty of better alternatives! And tiny flying bugs!

• Stayed April 2013
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The Hotel is actually across a very busy street, but the view of the Gulf was wonderful. The hotel was an old Holiday Inn conversion. The Lobby was huge and very nice, the rooms were a generation behind and needed updating. but the rooms were spotless. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. A very serviceable Courtyard.

Room Tip: The neighborhood behind is a little dodgy, the Gulf-side is preferable, but will cost more. Ask for...
Troy, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

From the moment we checked in til the moment we checked out the staff went above and beyond the call of duty to make us comfortable and very welcome. We arrived early on March 24.2013 (about 1pm), i wasn't sure if a room would be available, but we were given a room right away. Yay! Check in was smooth and carts were provided for our baggage. Our room was clean and welcoming. The beds were not too soft, and not too hard, and there were soft pillows galore. We had brought our own just in case, but they were not needed. We had brought 4 bikes with us and after scoping out the parking lot there wasn't much in the ways of locking them up. I went to the desk and asked and the man working there where we could lock them up, he said to put them in the office. That was a HUGE help as locking them on the carrier was going to be a pain. I couldn't believe they would offer space for them. I felt a little bad as the bikes are cruiser bikes and took up quite a bit of space. They assured me it was fine and were super nice each time we bothered them to get them. So i cant say enough about the office staff...but they were top notch and were patient with all the questions i asked about the casinos. We were traveling with our teens and wanted to hit a few casinos, they directed us to one that had a kid friendly arcade. The maintenance workers and cleaning staff were also very friendly, and were greeted with a smile and friendly hello from each. The hotel with interior rooms and with all the help around i felt very safe and at ease letting my 13, and 15 year old with autism travel around the hotel by themselves. The grounds were clean and parking was abundant. Getting in and out of the hotel into traffic was easy. The gym was fantastic! The cardio machines were comparable to the ones i pay for at my gym. Three treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 1 recumbent bike, 1 stationary bike, and free weights..its all you really need to get your burn on. The pool was too cold for my husband and i to get in, my sons however got in. If i was going to complain about anything it would be the fact the pool was not heated, thus the Jacuzzi was overrun with toddlers. I didn't care, i was there just to soak up some rays anyhow and wasn't interested in getting in the pool or jacuzzi anyhow. I have 2 other small complaints. One would be the lack of a microwave in the room. There is one in the lobby but going down from the fourth floor to the first to microwave popcorn was a bit of a bother but nothing too huge to complain about. The other would be the amount of full size towels given per day. You are given 4, and maybe im a bit of a towel hog, as i use one to wrap my hair up in, and the other to dry off with. Plus i was traveling with three others, well it would have been nice to have more on hand. In the scheme of things these are really small things and in the case of the towels, i am sure the cleaning staff would have been accommodating had i asked for additional towels. All in all we had a fantastic time and will definitely be back. Thank you to the staff at Marriott for making us feel at home.

After reading some of the comments i thought i would remark on the complaints about the train...We had our fan on, on the Ac and unless you are a light sleeper you wont be bothered. The internet seemed fine for me, actually a lot better then some of the wifi in hotels i have been in, i wouldn't say it is as strong as my connection at home, but it was tolerable and could stream netflix and hulu, and you tube wasnt sluggish either. Hope that helps.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Gulfport Beachfront? Share your experiences!