“Not what it used to be” 3 of 5 stars

Island View Casino Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3300 W Beach Blvd, Gulfport, MS 39501   |
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Gulfport
Metairie, Louisiana, United States
“Not what it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were very disappointed in our stay at the hotel this time. We hadn't been in several years and had high hopes. The staff was very nice but the rooms left a lot to be desired. If you like a fluffy pillow be sure to bring your own, the pillows they have on the bed are like not having a pillow. The air conditioning had one speed, guess if you like it cool you would like it. We turned the unit on heat to warm up the room and it still blew cold air. The first room we were in was so damp and moist it was ridiculous, we had to switch rooms. Both rooms had stopped up sinks. We were glad we only were staying one night. They did add a pool but it was small in comparison to the amount of people they had in it. I would think long and hard before I went back. Guess if they comped me for the room I would go.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kris A

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

As we live in the midwest, we cannot visit the gulf coast as often as we would like to.... every visit is a pleasure. We have been to the Island View to gamble once before in 2012. From that trip to the casino, they gave us a generous amount of free play on our Player's Cards. And they offered us 3 free nights, so we decided to give it a try. Since we'd never stayed overnight, we were initially surprised that they gave us a room with an ocean view. Ok, so it's not the fanciest hotel on the coast, but it is not a bad alternative. The rooms are spacious, quiet and seemed pretty clean. The mini-refrigerator was a big plus for our family.

As far as the cons, the old-timey looking bedspreads were not very inviting. They were faded from washing had little pills on them from over-use. The beds themselves were not too comfy, but the pillows were good. Next time, I would definitely ask for extra blankets as they were thin and I was afraid to use the bedspread. They provided free WIFI, but it was pretty slow, so we rarely used it. At night, the light from the hallway streamed underneath a huge opening underneath the room door ... so it was hard to block that light out when going to sleep. It was so big, my 9yo would crouch down on the floor and watch people walking in the hallway. The hallways were always somewhat musty smelling, but they seemed to be trying to take care of with the huge fans on the carpets. Now, the main con that I couldn't quite get over was the smell of our room. It smelled somewhat like a cleaning solution, but I later decided that it smelled more like one of those "Lilt Home Permanents" that we got in the 70s. Once I had that thought in my mind, I couldn't really stay in the room while awake for very long. To combat that smell, I tried to use a candle and extra perfumes. I would have asked for another room, but I preferred to just stay out and enjoy our trip rather than spend time at the hotel.

One day, walking though the hall, I did see a maid in another room spraying something into a glass cup with a spay bottle. Then, she wiped out the glass cup with her dust rag. I kept walking, so I don't know the whole story there of what she was doing. But, it bothered me so much that I will never drink from a glass cup in a hotel again if this is the way the cups get cleaned from the previous lodgers. We didn't eat at the buffet. We didn't like the saltwater pool because it was simply too hot to bear on a 98 degree day.

All in all, I think this is a fairly comfortable hotel for the gulf coast. We had a great time at the casino. Like I said, I think this place has real opportunity to be great again if they make a few changes. I would visit again... with my candles.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank imwithsully
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I arrived late for a 4 night stay and got stuck in a small, lower floor room overlooking a brick wall. After speaking to the hotel clerk, Sandra, I was promised a room change the next morning. Boy, did they make it up to us! We were moved to a 4th floor corner room, overlooking the beach with 2 large windows. We had a fabulous stay from then on. The employees here will bend over backwards to make sure their patrons are happy. The food on the buffet was really southern and delicious too! The casino had so many activities for us 50+ people, that we couldn't decide which to do first! We will go back again and again! Thanks Island View!!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper corner room, large and sunny
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NanoNanoTech
Atlanta GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I travel from Atlanta whenever we can to visit the Gulf coast and always want to stay at the Island View. We are treated very well and great comps. I find it to be a very lucky casino and much better than AC casinos, which we only lived 60 miles from in past years.
So happy we found the Island View and always looking forward to next visit. We love their variety of slots, buffet, room, and friendly staff. Hats off to the Island View. GA. is missing out
on all the casino revenue, as the garage is full of cars from there giving their $$ to MS.

Room Tip: Like to stay on a higher floor less noise and no smoking is great. Better view far from elevators...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gerrydee
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

At first, From the outside it looked nice but once we went to the room, it smelled! Then the beds looked undone and the mattress looked as if the bed was sitting on boxprings! The head board was bigger than the mattress and the pillows looked 20 years old (used and dirty ). The sheets and the blankets looked old and dirty. We called front desk and couldn't change us to another room but they could send someone to clean the room. We waited for 3 hours and finally the lady showed up, did a walk thru and I guess she thought the room was fine! This place and a cheap motel are in the same category.

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel! It is not worth a penny!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Madintx
Gulfport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

1st run in was with a foul mouth woman security guard and then we encountered the outdated & wasted space in the hotel room. The bathroom tile was horrible and the carpet made us feel like we where walking outside

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank MissPyt1977
Lake Charles, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband, mother and mother-n-law, myself and my sister and brother-n-law go as often as possible. Never have we been disappointed. The incentives are fabulous, the people great and the rooms are always clean. The staff go out of their way to help us when we need help or have questions. We live in Lake Charles, La and have several casinos and we have frequented Harrahs in new New Orleans and by far we choose the Island View!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Judith T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulfport
Wingate by Wyndham Gulfport
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#8 of 28 in Gulfport
4.0 of 5 stars 123 reviews

Been to Island View Casino Resort? Share your experiences!