“Avoid this overpriced, run-down dive.” 2 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Gulfport
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   9355 US Hwy 49, Gulfport, MS 39503   |
Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Gulfport
Comfort, Texas
“Avoid this overpriced, run-down dive.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I travel a lot, and stop in many random hotels and motels for the night on a long drive. Most, including Motel 6 locations, are pretty average, clean, and a fine place to pass out until getting back on the road in the morning. Not this one.

The staff were nice, but that's the only positive thing I can say. The rooms are quite old and run down, and they reek to match. My "non-smoking" room was obviously a smoking room for probably decades, and when the status was changed the carpeting and other fixtures weren't changed. Between smoke, years of body funk, and mold, it's very unpleasant. You can't even get some fresh air in there, since the windows are screwed shut. They try to keep air moving with a very loud a/c unit, but that's not nearly enough.

Towels were clean but quite worn and dingy, and the faucet and sink basin all leaked. The water hitting the carpet undoubtedly wasn't helping the moldy smell. I've stayed at better places that cost $29-$39 per night.

• Stayed July 2013
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Gulfport, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Daemonaquila - We thank you for recognizing our friendly staff; however, we sincerely apologize for the negative experience you had during your recent stay. The room conditions and odor you described are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6, and we encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can address these issues and improve your experience with us in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Here is the thing with hotels like Motel 6; there are the good, the bad, and the ugly. This location is definitely one of the ugly. It is so old, worn, and moldy that the room price of $81 was ridiculous. It is also at the intersection hwy 10 and hwy 49 so it is too far from the beach to be useful. The blinds had so many burn or moth holes in them that in the morning the sun streamed in. It is also highly questionable when the bedding was last washed. The bed curved to the center so badly I felt like I was sleeping in a crater. The cherry on top was WiFi was $2.99/night and you know it was probably horribly slow.

The upside is that next door there is a Krispy Kreme. A solid sugar buzz makes everything better.

• Stayed July 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Gulf port was our planned stopping point for our trip from Florida to Texas. My daughter who is 6 wanted to swim so bad and we promised her she would get to. Money wasnt really the issue, but due to the town being so busy the motel 6 was the only hotel with vacancies. The price was great and after all it was just a place to sleep. When we went to the pool it wasnt much bigger than a jacuzzi and had 50 people in it, i walked in to the water and with the water up to my belly button i couldnt see my feet. I refused to let my daughter enter the water, after returning to my room and listening to the surrounding rooms I took comfort in the fact that i never travel without a weapon. I am a United States Marine and have done multiple combat tours overseas, i am here to tell you Afghanistan has nothing on gulfport Mississippi.

• Stayed June 2013
Purvis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The room was disgusting. Mold in the bathtub, trash under the bed, floor had not been vacuumed. Room smelled like a old, muggy body odor, I had to get febreeze just so I could tolerate the smell. The towels are pathetic. The bed spreads are from the 70's and seen there better day. The lady working the front desk has an attitude problem, big time. Oh and as if they are not over priced for being a dump already, you must pay extra for the internet. I literally was afraid to sleep in the beds it was so disgusting and trust me when I say that I checked the sheets to make sure they were clean. If I would not have been so tired and could have found another room I would have NEVER stayed in a pathetic dump like this!

Room Tip: Tip---Do Not Stay Here!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Carson City, NV
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I know it is a Motel 6 and really high expectations are unreasonable. I know that. However...
The room had no blankets. Apparently we were supposed to use the bedspreads as blankets. Are you kidding me? Not in this life! You know what people do on them? (They did provide blankets when we asked.) There was no telephone until we requested one. The TV, a tiny CRT, didn't work. Gimme a break. And $3 for wifi? Gimme another break! McD has free wifi. Everybody has free wifi. Except Motel 6. Management was, however, gracious when I told them I wanted out and didn't want to pay. No arguments and they even offered me another room for free. No thanks. I don't think I want to do business with Motel 6.

Room Tip: Get a good room in another motel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

There was trash in our room when we arrived. There was pubic hair in the shower. There were bugs crawling on the wall. Front desk was hardly available. One woman out of the entire housekeeping staff actually smiled at me. Our a/c unit was making loud frog noises our last day.

• Stayed June 2012
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

The front desk was competent but not especially friendly. The room was adequate, reasonably clean, but it felt like they went out of their way to give it a low-budget aura. I felt it serviceable for an overnight travel accommodation; although I would not seek it out on a return trip, I would be willing to stay there again. Price was a little high for what you get -- for $10 more you can get nicer accommodations in the neighborhood.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to Motel 6 Gulfport? Share your experiences!