“Mostly very good, but a bump in the road in their kitchen” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 192 restaurants in Gulfport
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Great seafood and service excellent. A place where the locals go which is always a plus in my book. Check it out.
Long Beach, Mississippi
“Mostly very good, but a bump in the road in their kitchen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Ate here with a party of ten recently. Excellent service from our wait person. I knew this place laid on the chow, so all I ordered was a small house salad followed by their fried green tomatoes topped with their supreme sauce (I think that's what they call it). My food was delicious and was all I could eat. Others in the party were pretty well stuffed with good food too.

One person in the party ordered shrimp creole. The presentation was outstanding. When she began to eat it she found out the shrimp were almost raw. I tasted one of the shrimp and her assessment was right on the head. I would not have eaten it and neither did she.

So, maybe we caught them on a bad night. Everyone has a bad day now and then, but this particular serving of almost raw shrimp suggested that not enough managerial control is present in the kitchen. Yes, they willingly offered to replace the order with something else, but my friend was about sick to her stomach from tasting the nearly raw shrimp and declined their offer.

My advice is to order fried shrimp at Back Bay, if you order shrimp at all. Again, the majority of us had a good dining experience, but it was disappointing that one of our group got a bad deal from their kitchen. Still, I rate them four stars.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

71% Recommend
The Villages, Florida
“Outstanding seafood and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We had an excellent dinner at Back Bay. The food and beverages were excellent, the view was pleasant, and the service was outstanding. I called to see if we needed reservations and to get directions and spoke with Deborah. She greeted us on arrival, checked on us several times during our meal, and said goodbye to us as if we were close friends. Our waiter, Miles, was friendly and on top of things throughout our meal. The menu was extensive and everything we had was very good, but it was the service that will bring us back. This restaurant is in Gulfport, but close to Biloxi as well. Well worth the drive.

Visited July 2013
“A must try!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went for lunch and it was amazing! The seafood bread was out of this world! I also tried one of their speciality drinks (the back bay smasher) and it was phenomonal! The supreme pasta was my main entree and it was everything you could want from a seafood pasta! My boyfriend got a bowl of gumbo which we both tried and though it was a little different than the average gumbo it was perfect. Even their home made cajun ranch was delicious! My taste buds and my stomach are more than satisfied! Definitely will be a place to return to when we visit Gulfport again!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fort Worth, Texas
“It was ok but not great.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We went to this place twice. The first time was not a good experience. Thinking we got them at a bad time we tried a second time. Overall the food is good. Price was a bit higher than other local fare. The service is consistently slow. All the waitstaff disappears for long periods. I started to wonder if they were short in the kitchen. Still have to give them high mark.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Louisville, Kentucky
“Great seafood! Fast Friendly service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stopped here on the way from New Orleans to Pensacola. Very easy to find, friendly staff, nice menu, reasonable prices and DELICIOUS FOOD! Gumbo, catfish and shrimp are delicious! Will return if in the Gulfport area or passing through.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere