“Give it a try good food” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 42 Restaurants in Grenada
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Key West, Florida
“Give it a try good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We almost didn't go to Jake and Rips because of the bad reviews mostly about service. But we did and found it good. The food, we all had steaks and they were good. Not the greatest I've ever had but for the price it was good. The service was just fine and we had no problem with long waits for drinks or food. Maybe we just hit a good night but we actually had the server named in the bad reviews and she was great.
I will go bad to Jake and Rips when I'm back in Grenada.

Visited August 2013

Columbia, MO, USA
“Worst service...ever!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

The worst service we.ve ever had in a Restaurant! The waitress couldn't tell us what beer they had and and it took twenty minutes to get a beer...twice! The food came out just as slow and was OK. We were told it was computer problems? We asked a couple times to have the TV channel changed when no one else was watching what was on....never happened. That was not a computer problem! Very mediocre over all.

Visited July 2013
Columbia, Missouri
“Good food, local flavor.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Spent the night in Grenada passing through. We were going to go to Catfish Corner but when we called, the person who answered the phone was unfriendly and seemed upset that we asked about alcohol. She neglected to tell us it was a buffet. So we passed J&R's and just stopped.

The parking was difficult. When we arrived in the restaurant, there was a line to be seated, but no host or hostess. We decided to avoid the wait and eat at the bar. The bartender was not particularly friendly, but warmed up after we made an effort. We ordered the catfish and the catfish and ribs, both of which were hot and tasty, especially the catfish. Prices were reasonable.

I can see where the service and food could be hit or miss. The atmosphere was good, but the restaurant seems small town cliquish. The bar is usually the place for best service, but it was merely good. The bartender also took a personal call and texted as stated by another reviewer. But being in close proximity, we had her attention when we needed it. If that had not been the case, my rating would have been average.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Macomb, Michigan
“Small Town Country Joint”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The outside of this restaurant looks typical of the area...nothing to write home about but not too shabby at a first glance. Once inside one would notice it's a tad rustic...some booth seats ripped and things pretty worn. However, I was under the impression this was the desired look and atmosphere considering the demographics.

I ordered the blackened chicken salad since I figured I could not go wrong with this option. Much to my pleasant surprise the salad was very tasty. The menu doesn't provide many options and based on the restaurants appearance I did not figure some of the entrees would live up to my expectations especially when one considered the price. I believe if an entree if priced higher than the restaurant should look like they can live up to the cost.

I did order an appetizer. I don't recall what I had ordered, but when it came to the table I was not impressed from the menu's description and the listed price. I indicated that I didn't want it. The waitress returns saying that I would have to pay for it according to her manager since I ordered it. I stood my ground simply refusing and proceeded to enjoy my salad. I told my friend I did not know what kind of backwards town this was but I was NOT paying for the appetizer. Eventually, the manager conceded saying that I was from out of town and it would be deducted from the bill. I thought to myself, "she saved herself a lot of grief because I wasn't paying for something that I hadn't eaten." Not sure if the manager would have called the sheriff's department, but I was not changing my stance on the issue in any event.

I can't imagine why anyone would visit this town. However, if one is passing through for a road trip and would like a quick salad for a pretty good price, they might consider this place.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Overpriced, cold, food.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Our service was awful. Two of the waitresses cleaning tables beside us were cursing loudly and talking about being so ready to get out of the place. The tea seemed to be sitting out a while and the girl who took our order thought she didn't need to write it down, but she was wrong because the orders were all wrong. The food was good but just as good as you could get anywhere else...not very impressed.

• Visited June 2013