“Comfortable, friendly, elegant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alluvian Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Greenwood
Alluvian Hotel
You added Alluvian Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   318 Howard Street, Greenwood, MS 38930   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Greenwood
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Comfortable, friendly, elegant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

The room was a respite in a road trip, with a comfortable, luxurious bed, immediate internet access, Aveda toiletries. Had a light meal at the hotel restaurant and got a little work done. Don't miss TurnRow books next door!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Monroe, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Beautiful room, huge beautiful bath with large shower, well-stocked mini-bar are only a few things that make this a perfect place for a weekend getaway. Friendly staff also helped make our stay very pleasant. It reminded me of days past at the grand old hotels. People gathered and visited in the beautiful lobby and the drinks in the bar were cold and tasty. The breakfast buffet was fabulous. The cheese grits were creamy and the biscuits and gravy were pipping hot. The only negative was that there was no bellman to help with luggage. As a handicapped person, that was the only difficulty I had.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Shreveport, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very nice, but it's the little things that make a five star hotel. There was no bellman present. I struggled to get my bags out of the car, in the hotel, and up to the room. They asked me if I wanted them to park my car(that should be assumed). The hotel was clean and beautiful, but the little things that make a five star were absent.

• Stayed January 2014
BERGEN COUNTY,N.J.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed here with some other sales reps when visiting the Viking company to learn about their company and their appliances.The Alluvian made our stay as nice as possible with a very friendly stall, comfortable beds and an excellent restaurant.There isn't much more to do or see in the area,so a good hotel is important and the Alluvian does the job.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Brandon, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

WooHoo!!! My wife "really" thanked me for taking her to the Alluvian. This hotel is a must for any married couple or for a group of female friends who need a getaway. We visit the Alluvian at least twice a year. The staff are outstanding as is the breakfast.

Room Tip: We have enjoyed any room we have reserved.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Vicksburg, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

My husband and I wanted a quiet get away over the Thanksgiving holiday. We booked a two night stay at the Alluvian Hotel, and I booked 2 massages at the spa during our stay. The hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. Our room (420), was quite small, but we booked at the last minute, so it may have been one of the few available rooms left to reserve. The room was well decorated with a great bed, well stocked mini bar, coffee maker, and other amenities. The bathroom was large (almost as large as our room), with a tub and a large shower. The housekeeping staff was friendly and took excellent care of our room and of us when we needed extra towels, etc. We ate at the restaurant at the hotel, and were not disappointed with the quality of the entree's. My filet was superb, and my husband's blackened catfish was delicious. My house salad (a la carte for about $5.00) was little more than a handful of lettuce with three cherry tomatoes. I was also surprised that there was no bread served with our meal. We were presented with a basket of wrapped crackers, which I thought detracted from the meal, especially since all vegetables and salads had to be ordered separately. There is an extensive and reasonable wine selection available, and our dessert of bread pudding was very good. We ate in a private curtained booth, which was a nice touch, and the service was good. A breakfast buffet is included with the price of the room. There was a nice selection of fruit, eggs, breakfast meats, grits, biscuits, yogurt, etc. The breakfast room was pleasant, with a reading library, which I enjoyed.
I was really looking forward to my massages at the spa, and my expectations were high. My first massage was extremely disappointing. I requested a deep tissue massage. I was very specific in my request, and repeatedly communicated with the therapist during the massage about what I wanted. She was very nice, but simply ignored my request, stating that she was "not strong enough" to do a deep tissue massage . It was thankfully only a 30 minute massage, but I essentially paid $80.00 to have my shoulders lightly rubbed with lotion (an 18% gratuity is required in the payment for the massage) . I would not even describe it as a massage, let alone a deep tissue massage. I complained afterwards to the management, and requested another therapist for my second massage. I was charged for a "regular", rather than for a deep tissue massage after I complained, but I felt that I had wasted my morning and my money. I would have cancelled the second massage, but I would have been charged for it anyway (there is a 24 hour cancellation policy), so I kept the appointment. The second massage was a vast improvement. The therapist was very good and gave me an excellent deep tissue massage. The spa was beautifully maintained, with a steam shower, lovely waiting area, and amenities.
The management needs to pay attention to the requests of its patrons. The spa is expensive, and it is reasonable to expect quality at these prices. It would have been far better for the staff to tell me that there was not a deep tissue therapist available for the first massage, then to book me with a therapist who was unable to perform the requested service and charge me $80.00 for a service that was not what I requested.
Check out the bookstore close to the hotel. It is delightful, with an excellent selection of books by Mississippi authors and art of local artists.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. They are more spacious.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

LOVE, love, love The Alluvian Hotel! You feel as if you are stepping into a New York hotel in the middle of Mississippi. The Alluvian also has a spa (that I visit often) that is lovely. The Sweet Tea Massage is my favorite. A MUST is to also take Viking Cooking School classes-fun to do with friends. Just a FUN time! The service is great & the food is terrific! Highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Alluvian Hotel? Share your experiences!