“Totally disappointing worse safari camp stay ruined our Christmas!Save your money stay elsewhere in Masai Mara!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Muthaiga Black Leopard Safari Camp

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Olderkesi Private Reserve
Muthaiga Black Leopard Safari Camp
Save Saved
You added Muthaiga Black Leopard Safari Camp to your Saves list
C 14 Keekorok | Masai Mara, Olderkesi Private Reserve, Maasai Mara National Reserve 001000, Kenya   |
Colombo, Sri Lanka
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

This was our second trip to Kenya but first with our kids. We decide that the highlight of the trip from the 24th to 27th Dec would be the final few days over Christmas at the Masai Mara. So I read several reviews on the trip advisor and decided on the Muthaiga Camp.
Unfortunately this choice was to prove a very disappointing and extremely poor value for money.
Having stayed in many luxurious hotels and camps around the world and in Africa this was one of our all time worse experiences to date!

Cleanliness/Rooms- we stayed in the Family room-Berkely Cole Villa( having been charged ludicrous rates for it) which was a double room with two bathrooms-having been told we could not be accomodated in a normal tent which all the other luxury camps we stayed at in Kenya seemed to be able to offer us as our kids are only 3 and 5yrs. The room appeared modern,spacious and well furnished it was two rooms attached together with a big balcony and outdoor area looking out to the bush. On subsequent inspection we realised it was very dusty and not cleaned well. The second bathroom on the right had an awful smell-combination of mould and poo. My kids kept complaining the bathroom on the right stunk and refused to use it. We had to agree with them. We all ended up sharing the other bathroom. Our rooms were not cleaned during our stay there. Our towels were not replaced and the same wet towels were left for us folded up on our return. The room butlers did not dust on a daily basis despite there being two of them for our room alone and we were the only guests at the camp.
Location: Avid safari goers (like ourselves) this is NOT the place for you. The drive from the camp to the main Masai Mara camp is close to one hour each way! Which means you lose two hours of potential safari viewing each time you go out for safari and this means missing the early morning hours when animals are more plentiful and greater chances of seeing leopards (which we did not see).This also prevents you going further out into the park where the animals are more plentiful.
Our driver promised to take us to the Mara river during our stay which is amazing and filled with hippos (my daughter's favourite) as we had stayed close to it last visit and then refused to take us saying it was too far from the camp. Instead he drove us to a small stream somewhere and showed us 3 hippos which were mostly submerged in the water. The camp is in the bush and there are NO BIG FIVE animals to be seen close to the camp or any other animals near the camp. It is surrounded by villages and goat and cattle farms. At nighttime you can hear the village dogs barking.

The camp is situated close to one hour from the Keerkok airstrip. It is a nice drive on the first occasion over long bumpy roads and through deep ravines with streams but after several times and especially in the evening hours or when it is raining it becomes rather treacherous and tiresome.
On our last afternoon safari on our way back to the camp it began raining as it had the previous nights and our driver got the jeep stuck in the deep ravine. It was very frightening as we were perched precariously on a steep incline with the back of the jeep stuck in the stream which had now become a mini river. We were stuck there in the dark for over 1 hour. Then another jeep from the hotel came to help winch us out and the first attempt failed as the winch broke and the jeep went sliding back towards the water.We were very frightened especially with our two little kids in the jeep. Thankfully on the second go we skidded and twisted and managed to make it up the incline.
The driver Leonard told us this had happenned to him many times before and once he had to wait over 3 hours! We were glad that we were leaving the following morning.
If I had known before about the poor location of this camp I would never have stayed there. This is not a place for children. NO child-friendly activities.
Service: On arrival we were picked up at the Keerkok Airstrip by our driver Leonard and Masai guide in a nice open jeep. They both seemed friendly. However during our trip our driver became rather rude and argumentative and also quite deceitful. He had promised to take us to the Mara river to show the kids the hippos which he did not do and on questioning later said it was too far although on our arrival day he told us he would take us there!
Then he did show us many lions which was amazing but despite us telling him we now wanted to try and seeother animals such as leopards and rhino. It took an argument with him to make him stop going to all the lion sightings. And the day there was a rhino sighting and we could see over 30 jeeps lined up observing it and we were informed about it he completely messed it up by driving in the wrong direction and by the time we got there the rhino had run off into the bushes. The last morning however he did show us a rhino and it was an excellent sighting. For this we gave him a big tip although I'm not sure he deserved it with his bad attitude and trying to argue with us and hurting my son (as mentioned below).
He told us he could show us leopards but did not take us further into the park to even try.
He had a tendency to circle around the same areas of the park driving very slowly and then close to lunch time saying ok let's go back to the camp!
Also another thing he did which really upset us was one afternoon we were finishing off afternoon tea and then he came and carried off my three year old son without asking us and when I walked out after him I could not see them I called out for my son and there was no answer. Then I saw our jeep coming down a steep track from the bush and when it stopped the driver opened the door and I saw my son crying on the passenger seat with no seat belt on. I was very upset and took him away immediately. My son said he had bumped his neck on the steering wheel. Leonard the driver did not apologise he said to my three year old son "Be tough be a man!" I was shocked and very upset. I felt this driver had behaved in a very irresponsable manner taking my son into the bush without telling us and then injuring him!. I should have complained but I was worried as earlier that day we had already had the argument with him as he was not listening to our wishes and he had to drive us around for another day so I kept quiet at the time but in hindsight now I should have complained. Taking my child without my permission into the bush was bad enough and then driving without seat belt and injuring him and not even apologising.
This same afternoon he made the big miss on the rhino sighting!

ON arrival we were introduced to our two room butlers who we were told were available for our every beck and whim and to help us carry our bags to our room. The first day they showed us to our room. One butler told us "Now the most important thing of all is please read this paper on the table." He gave it to me and I was shocked to see it was the suggested tip card for himself and all the service staff at the hotel. After paying over USD5000 for this stay we expected great service. These butlers were not seen again during the day and were not there to help us carry our bags back to the room on arrival from safari . However they did surprisingly re-appear on the morning of our departure. To collect their tip no doubt!
The restaurant staff were polite and helpful and the best staff. Friendly with the kids as well.
Chef-he was in fact one was not helpful and very unaccomodating considering we were the only guests staying there!
He refused to make a plate of chips for the kids on the last night despite us pre-ordering them in the afternoon saying there were baked potatoes !
Canadian Manageress- whilst pleasant and appeared to be helpful disappointed the kids on Christmas day promising special activities and then nothing happening at all and her not even appearing to apologise! Our kids were in tears. This was extremely disappointing! No special christmas meal , no singing or carols by staff after or before dinner, no little gift for the kids (even a bag of cookies wrapped up would have been fine). After being charged christmas supplement the Christmas was a disaster!
Also she kept telling us there was a resident leopard close to the camp and guests had seen it two weeks ago and then on asking our driver he said the contrary . He said there were no leopards anywhere near the camp and he had not seen any for over 3 months!
However other Masai camps -Bateleur etc have seen them.
FOOD! This was the absolute worse food I have ever had on safari anywhere.
Firstly we were not asked from arrival to the day we left what we would like to eat and unlike all the other luxury camps no menu card with two or three choices was given.
We were not asked what the kids would like to eat there was no special attention or consideration at all given to this.
The first lunch we were serviced spicy chilli pork and capsicum salad. MY kids could not eat this and I don't eat meat . I spoke to the Canadian lady and I asked for fish or seafood or vegetarian. I asked her why no menu or few meal options were given to us as we were the only guests.
She said she could only offer me vegetarian and then a large plate of tasteless capscium salad came out! A printed menu card appeared for the first dinner with no options however and was never seen again.
The kids left there meals on most occasions and not once were we asked is there anything special we can make the kids!
On the second day I was told fish had arrived from Nairobi and I was served a tiny dry over cooked piece of fish. I was rationed out this same fish in tiny portions cooked in the exact same way for 6 meals! By the 5th meal I felt nauseous when I saw the plate.
The kids and my husband received various meat meals which were of very poor standard! Lamb cutlets arrived with just a bone with literally one mouthful of meat! The rest of the meat being obviously cut away from the bone.
We felt like we were in a army camp where food was rationed out to us- we had no choice and if we did not like the meals no one cared or bothered to make us any other options. Desserts were awful.
The christmas dinner was the most disappointing! No special fare for me the same fish.
A tasteless cake for dessert which reappeared over the next few days in various forms.
The highlight was the Barbecue on the last night. Same fish for me again.Meatless lamb cutlets and this was the night we had asked the Canadian manageress in the afternoon to make the kids some sausages and chips for dinner. As the kids had eaten very little the whole stay as they did not like the food and despite us telling the staff this no special attention was given to remedy this!
Again our request ignored and on enquiry at dinner the chef refused to make this! We could not believe how thoughtless and inconsiderate the staff here were.

This is definitely not a value for money stay. Over priced for poor service, horrible inedible food with no choice for money paid and worse location for safari.

Will we go to this camp again? NEVER! Not even if the stay is given free! Save your money and stay elsewhere in Masai Mara.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
SafariCampOwner, Manager at Muthaiga Black Leopard Safari Camp, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
It is unfortunate that these clients were disappointed with the outstanding level of service provided at Muthaiga Safari Camp. No amount of effort by the staff or managers could have satisfied them.
These clients have made many false accusations which are addressed below:

1. Clients did not advise us of any dietary requirements when asked prior to their arrival. After two subsequent meals were returned to the kitchen, waiters were informed that one of the clients could only eat fish due to a “lifestyle choice”. As no fish was on hand in camp, a call was made to have some delivered as soon as possible. In the meantime, our chef prepared a vegetable medley in coconut milk for her lunch. Client was also served lamb for dinner at her request.
2. Menus were prepared well in advance for every meal and clients were informed accordingly. Every effort was made to accommodate the children’s dietary requirements including preparing macaroni & cheese when asked.
3. “Normal” luxury tents at Muthaiga Safari Camp can accommodate a double and single bed at most. As this was a party of four, an executive decision was made by the managers to upgrade these clients to a luxury family tent at no additional cost.
4. Room stewards cleaned both washrooms on a daily basis as well as exchanged towels with fresh ones although these may have been damp due to the inclement weather. Manageress also inspected the cleanliness of the tent prior to client arrival. No complaint of a “mysterious” odour was ever brought forth to the management or room stewards and none was apparent during the daily cleaning.
5. Room stewards informed clients to read the information package provided in the tent which not only included the tipping guideline but more importantly outlined safety precautions whilst in camp.
6. Had the clients required help with the carrying of their 1 camera bag after their safari, room stewards would have obliged.
7. Clients were informed they could either fly by scheduled air to the Keekorok Airstrip which is located an hour’s drive from camp or a charter could be booked to a private airstrip only 20min. away. They chose the scheduled flight.
8. Parents were informed that if weather permitted, a special surprise was planned for Christmas Eve. However due to thunderstorms, a decision was made to reschedule the surprise for Christmas day. Also to note, parents had informed their children they were receiving gifts from the camp although no such promise had been made by the manageress. The following day, clients were surprised by a Maasai performance. As for a special Christmas dinner, the Kenyan BBQ had been planned for that evening and due to inclement weather, had to be postponed to Dec. 26th. We regret this but it is not practicable to provide a traditional Christmas on safari.
9. Muthaiga Safari Camp is located within a private conservancy bordering the Masai Mara with abundant wildlife in and around camp on a daily basis including elephant, hyena, cape buffalo, wild dog, zebra, impala, etc... The “barking” clients heard was that of a baboon troop residing close to the family tent. Also to note, there was and is in fact a resident leopard, which guests prior to and after these clients stay, were able to witness, and of which our driver and manageress both informed clients of.
10. It is disheartening to read such a harsh review on our driver, as he went above and beyond to please these clients. He drove exceedingly slow, as the children were continuously trying to open the safari vehicle doors and running about the vehicle whilst the parents did nothing to control their children. As a parent himself, our driver would never put a child in harm’s way and to suggest this, is slander.
11. Due to the fact that our driver had to drive overly cautious and was continuously stopping and waiting for the children to settle down, he was unable to drive to the part of the river previously promised to the clients for lack of time.
12. As for their young children, our waiters went out of their way to watch & entertain them while their parents dined. The children proved to be disrespectful and unruly, climbing on all the furniture including the soap stone sculptures, destroying some furniture while their parents watched on, unwilling to control them. The children repeatedly left their parent’s side to wander into the main kitchen which eventually had to be locked due to safety concerns. If the children were not running around, they were screaming at the top of their lungs.
13. Our driver and manageress worked with the clients on a daily basis to arrange an itinerary that would best suit their needs. On every occasion, clients arrived at the safari vehicle over 1 hour late, making our driver and guide wait needlessly. As for early morning game drives, the clients informed us that this was an impossibility due to their young children, otherwise, these could have been arranged effortlessly.
14. Our driver is knowledgeable on the local area and wildlife. As the clients were “obsessed” with seeing a leopard, our driver circled the areas where they frequent in hopes of a sighting. This may have seemed redundant but as this was the clients only wish he complied. Also, upon their arrival clients informed us they only wished to see cats.
15. Guides from all area camps had not seen a rhino in over 3 months. Clients should have been elated to have witnessed this on their last outing but again they could only complain about not sighting a leopard. As for our driver going the “wrong direction” during the 1st rhino sighting, the Masai Mara rangers have strict guidelines about “off roading”.
16. It is not uncommon for a vehicle to get stuck in the mud during the rainy season. Although the client vehicle became stuck at a small river crossing/brook, the clients were never in danger. A second vehicle was immediately dispatched to assist the other driver.
17. Despite their claim, no tips were given to any of the staff including the driver.

Staff and managers of Muthaiga Safari Camp strive to maintain a high calibre of service while creating lasting memories for our clients. To have clients appear otherwise happy and elated with the service and safari experience during their stay only to discover their displeasure on a review is disappointing considering the effort involved to please them. Should other guests have been staying in camp, the management would have made the immediate decision to relocate these clients to another camp.
All said nonetheless, the client’s remarks on TA are contrary to what they had on the Camp’s guest book, nor did they feature on our provided 'client feedback form'.

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

It was our first visit to Africa and it couldn't have started at a better hotel. From the ease of booking on the website with the wonderful photos to Muthaiga, the camp was even better in reality. We had booked a luxury tent as it has the views. We got there in the dark (great welcome from Francis) and the next morning opened our curtain to a view of the sabana - wow! All that has been said before we agree with - excellent, attentive, well trained staff, very extensive breakfasts, superbly decorated modern tents. Essssssspetacular!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

Just a spectacular place all around.
Service 10/10
Food 10/10
Accommodation 10/10
Safari Guides/Trackers 10/10

This camp exceeded all expectations. All staff are extremely well informed and pass on a wealth of information.
It is very apparent that all owners and staff are passionate about their work and the wildlife.
Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

We are experienced travelers with this being our first safari in Africa. We were in awe 24/7 during our 4 night stay at Muthaiga Safari Camp and are very thankful we chose them. Every detail of our stay was outstanding....accommodations, surroundings, staff, meals, service, vehicle, safaris, surprises, and the incredible abundance & varieties of wildlife. Our guide/driver & spotter were amazing, so knowledgeable, non intrusive & respectful of all animals which enabled us to be true observers of it all. I cannot say enough about the wonderful team of staff, the camp, location, accommodations and such authentic experiences. This is the best way to experience a safari & is tops on the bucket list, I am so glad we did it this way and would love to return. Thank you again!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

It's hard to describe how wonderful my stay in Impiripiri camps was. I wanted to do a safari in Masai Mara and I was expecting it to be good but it has been much better than "good". I am quite an experienced traveller and I have visited many countries, been to many hotels, done many treks but nothing compare with what I have experienced in Impiripiri.
- The safari: I was in an opened jeep with the driver (guide) and a Masai warrior to spot animals. We saw so many animals even though it was the end of the animal migration. Because we had a small vehicule we could get very close to each animals. Some other camps provides closed van or even some types of 4x4 buses: I felt so frustrated for the people in these type of cars.
-The camp: pure luxury! Tents are so confortable. When you're not in the reserve,You can have a rest on your private terrasse or on one of the main tent. While relaxing you can look at the fantastic landacapes around the camp. Not to mention the service: the food is delicious. And if you decide to go for an early safari in the morning to see animal before the sunrise, you'll get your breakfast in the middle reserve: so cool!
-The people: last but not least, you will meet wonderfull people. The camp owner have so many stories to tell and are so friendly. You feel immediatly at home. The rest of the staff is so helpful too, always there to provide you with anything you need. I felt so spoiled during my stay there, almost like a princess!
I am not sure when I will be able to go back to the camp but I will but next time I will try to bring my familly with me

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

We highly recommend Impiripiri, wonderful location, wonderful camp with a great view, family atmosphere, great guides and finally wonderful evening talks next to the fireplace with the manager and owners. This was the second time we have been to Impiripiri and we hope there will be a 3rd time! It´s the right place to stay for everybody who develops an allergy when seeing the Mara become a zoo with more minibuses than animals!

Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

I highly recommend Mathaiga Safari camp and truly cannot say enough good things about my experience there. The staff were very professional, helpful, and honest. The guides went above and beyond to make the experience everything I was looking for. I could not have dreamed up better guides for the safari. They were truly nice to be around and talk to and were extremely knowledgable about the animals and the area. The food was fantastic and plentiful. They took the time to inquire about food preferences and restrictions before we even arrived and accomated very nicely. The facilities were just beautiful and very clean. The extra special touch was after we had left, they knew we had a long drive ahead back to another part of Kenya, and even called when we were on the road to see if we had made it safely. How awesome is that? If you're trying to find a great place tfrom which o experience the Mara, I would truly recommend Mathaiga as a great place to go.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Muthaiga Black Leopard Safari Camp? Share your experiences!