“Horrible, horrible, horrible” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Columbus
Kentucky
“Horrible, horrible, horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

I don't even know where to start. I guess the problem is that this hotel LOOKS like the nicest place in town. It appears on the outside to be fairly new, it features interior access, which is a must for me, and upon first glance, the room appeared to be clean and perfectly suitable. I stayed here for three nights, and the problems ranged from mild to ridiculous, and they didn't take long to start. For starters, the white socks I was wearing around the room would turn a disgusting shade of black after walking around on the carpet for a while. This is probably due to the housekeeping staff that in my experience can be summed up in one word: lazy. For example, the first day the staff came by to clean, I was in the room. She walked in and asked me questions like, "Do you want your bed made?" and "Do you want another ice bag?" If I didn't want the bed made, I wouldn't have bothered taking the do not disturb sign off the door. And if the ice bag is gone, who asks if the guests want it replaced or not? The second day, housekeeping never came by at all. Granted, we had our DND sign on the door until about noon, but that morning, when I went to grab an extra towel, the housekeeper asked if I would need anything else, and I said, "Yes, we will need service after we have both showered and left." When we did leave, the housekeeping carts were still in the hall, and in fact, the day before, housekeeping did not come to our room until around 2:30. So they were certainly still working; we hadn't missed them. When I got back to the room around 4, housekeeping was long gone, and my room had never been touched. I contacted the front desk, and he could not have cared less. I told him I had taken the DND sign off the door in plenty of time, and he admitted, "Yeah, they're supposed to go back and check those rooms, but they usually don't." Now, on to the next problem. I was in Columbus on business, and my business is uploading photos and text to a web site on a deadline. Obviously good working internet is my highest priority. The internet here was nothing short of sketchy. It would completely flake out on me for no reason at all. At one time, all I was doing was checking Yahoo Mail, and I got a message that said I was trying to do something that wasn't allowed and as such, my internet had been taken away for 10 minutes. I called the front desk and got the same unconcerned guy I had called about the housekeeping. He said his internet was working just fine and gave me an 800 number. Those folks were helpful and got me on my way that time, but during the rest of my stay, internet access was hit or miss. Luckily for me, it was working when I needed to be working, or I would have been derailed for sure. Last but certainly not least was the night we got back to the room to find the headboard had fallen off the wall and onto the bed. Thank goodness we were not in the bed. It was bedtime when we discovered this, and I refused to sleep in the bed with the headboard on the floor. My husband went to the front desk, and the night manager (I suppose that's who it was) could not have been any less accomodating. My husband asked him to give us another bed to sleep in. We didn't need to move rooms, we just needed a bed fit to sleep in. The man refused. My husband asked to speak to the manager and was told he WAS the manager. My husband told him that refusing us a bed when our headboard had fallen ON our bed was not very customer-friendly, so he finally gave us a key to a room across the hall that we could sleep in, but not before griping, "I don't know how I'm going to explain this to the manager." So was he a manager or not?? I have no idea. So we slept across the hall, got up early to work, and came back for a quick nap. When we got back into our regular room around 9:30 a.m., the headboard was fixed, but the repairman had left his BLOOD on the sheets. I kid you not. He had also turned the air conditioner on all the way cold, full blast. Now, it was hot outside, but by the time we got back in the room, I would guess the temperature was somewhere between 60 and 65 degrees. Between the frigid room, the blood on the sheets, and the black junk on my socks, I was infuriated. As soon as I got my work done that afternoon, we left even though we were scheduled to stay there another night. If life ever takes me back to Columbus, Mississippi, I can tell you one thing for sure: I will definitely NOT be staying at the Wingate. "Built for business" my foot.

• Liked — Interior access
  • Disliked — Inconsiderate staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2004

Not a 5 star hotel, but definately best in town. Rooms were nice and well kept. All rooms have free wireless high speed internet which is a must since there isnt much to do in columbus,ms. Staff was very. Free breakfeast too, if you can get up on time. Nest time in town I will stay again. Dont forget your laptop...

• Stayed December 2004

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Columbus? Share your experiences!