“My Perfect Wedding!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Columbus B&B and Inns
Starkville, MS
“My Perfect Wedding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

I was very nervous about my second wedding. Although my future husband and I had already had the large church wedding we still wanted to have an intimate wedding with our closes family and friends. After visiting several possible locations we selected Shadowlawn. It was the perfect decision. Burnette and her family made us feel as if though we were the most important people in the world. Burnette worked endlessly to make sure everything was perfect. We met with her for only a couple of hours and selected flowers, food, and all the finishing touches we wanted. We arrived the evening before and Burnette walked us through everything. My daugters and I stayed the night and the guys stayed at a different location. After a fabulous night sleep we joined each other for a delicious breakfast. I wanted a morning wedding with a brunch reception. Even though it was a holiday weekend, Burnette made it happen. Thirty guest arrived for our family wedding and a short time later we were in the garden have the reception of my dreams. The "Shrimp and Grits" are to die for. This dish is a must have. All dishes were wonderful, the setting was beautiful and my flowers were perfect.

I think it is important that a second wedding is even more special than the first. The blending of families and the celebration should be perfect. If you are busy but still want to have a special day; even in your 40s and 50s, call Burnette. You won't be disappointed and all you have to do is show up, enjoy, and then stay the night in a wonderful bedroom. Finding her, her family, and her home was truly a blessing.

Thank you Burnette. We look forward to sharing our first anniversary in hour home.

• Stayed May 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Germantown, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

There is not a better place to stay while you're in Columbus! This B & B puts you into the relaxed and restful feeling of the ole south. Between the excellent service, friendly Hostess, and scrumptious breakfast there is no better place to stay in Columbus. Both my husband and I loved the romantic room, the well kept gardens and opulent decor through out the house. In the evenings sitting on the fine wicker sofa, was the perfect romantic place to gaze at the moon. The cooking was amazing, the service was wonderful and the family is the most hospitable hosts we have ever meet! Thanks B for your fine, southern hospitality! Greatest stay ever!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Lebanon, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

We recently had a chance to stay Shadowlawn where you clearly understand the difference of staying at a hotel and being graciously invited into Burnette’s home. As a consultant I have stayed all over the world and there is no comparison to the feeling that warm and caring person, like Burnette, means to someone where genuine hospitality is experienced even compared to a nicest hotels.

It was truly a blessing to be welcomed into her home and she extended that same welcome to my son , who has just started his pilot training at the Columbus Air Force Base, to join us for a family breakfast. This may seem like a little thing but that is what their bed and breakfast is all about.

I watched Burnette as she talked and helped everyone staying their and you could see that she did not just have guests but instead she see the world as a place where everyone is part of her family.

What a great house, hospitality and memory for my family.

I hope you have a chance to experience the true joy of the Christian atmosphere you will find at Shadowlawn and take a moment and enjoy a conversation because that is what make life worth living.

Chris L Lebanon, Indiana

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

Shadowlawn does it all. Burnette took care of everything for my wedding even when the weather didn't cooperate she was able to keep ME calm and rearrange seating so my reception was wonderful. It was everything my husband and I wanted. A fun family bbq with dancing and laughter in a beautiful environment.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Longboat Key, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

My husband and I live in Florida, and when we learned we would be planning an out of town wedding for our daughter in Columbus Mississippi, we wondered how we would be able to find the right location and coordinate the event from several hundred miles away. Our prayers were answered with the discovery of Shadowlawn Bed & Breakfast, and its owner, Burnette Aavakian. Our daughter had visited Shadowlawn and fell in love with its Old Southern charm and ambiance. The home is a beautifully restored 1800's southern mansion with beautiful period antiques and decor. The grounds are meticulously manicured, and provide perfect gathering places for afternoon tea with friends or quiet enjoyment of a good book while sitting on one of the many porches of the home. We began our planning with Burnette via email. She was always very responsive and helpful with all of our questions. She provided pictures of anything we were curious about, including previous weddings held there at Shadowlawn so we could develop ideas for our own event. She handled last minute requests with ease and a great "can do" attitude, including ordering last minute table toppers that had to come from China. Burnette was always prepared, even to the extent of having to bring in large fans to dry up some damp areas of the lawn because of torrential downpours two days before the wedding. The day of the wedding the temperature climbed to 94 degrees, the second hottest day in May in history, in Columbus. Burnette worked with us to relocate all the tables at the last minute to the shaded areas of the lawn. She redid menu items that would be better served in the warm outdoor buffet that would have otherwise melted into jelly. She took special precautions with the wedding cakes to make sure they wouldn't be in the heat too long before the bride and groom had the opportunity to cut the cake. She was absolutely awesome. We could not have asked for a more attentive, caring, loving, professional person to handle our out of town wedding. She took all the worry and concerns away from us. And the food was beyond our expectations. My husband and I have traveled the world and stayed in many fine resorts and have eaten at highly rated restaurants. Burnette and her staff created food presentations that rivaled Michelin 3 star restaurants. The chicken florentine and salmon mousse were to die for. Our daughter had requested a red velvet cake for the wedding. It was the best we ever had. All in all, the home, the setting, the food, the service, and an owner that cared as much about our special day as we did, made this the perfect place for a destination wedding.

• Stayed May 2010
Meridian, MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

What a perfect place for our rehearsal dinner! Shadowlawn is beautiful and rivals any 5 star restaurant. What a fantastic place for all wedding festivities. The food was excellent! Everyone enjoyed the entire experience and I could have wished for nothing more. Thanks, Burnette! You are great at weddings and everything included in them!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I took my 12 year old daughter on a surprise weekend get-a-way to Shadowlawn. The expression on her face when she saw the gorgeous home we were staying in, with the big white columns and inviting porches, was priceless! It was our first stay at a B&B and it was a great experience for us both.....a weekend we'll never forget! We were awed by the beautiful antiques, dishes, and flower arrangements everywhere! Our room was perfect in every way, big and comfortable. We put puzzles together on the shiny hardwood floors and my daughter took a bubble bath in the jacuzzi tub in our bathroom. Everything was so lovely, and Burnette and NoNo made us feel like royalty! We enjoyed their company as much as the food at breakfast every morning. I was so pleased. I have shown my beautiful pictures of the B&B to everyone! It is definitely a place I want to return to with my family and friends in the future!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Shadowlawn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!