“Wonderful B&B” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Columbus B&B and Inns
Carthage
“Wonderful B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Just recently stayed here while in the area. There was a local football game in neighboring Starkville, MS. It was difficult to find a suitable place to stay, and I thought that we were going to be out of luck to find lodging. It was truly a blessing to find such a beautiful B&B that still had rooms available. I love to stay in B&B homes, and this one was just lovely. The owner was so very nice and gave us a tour of the home. She also told us the history of the home. It was decorated so beautifully. The antiques in the house were gorgeous. Our room was very nice and very comfortable. The food was awesome. When the website advertised a gourmet breakfast, it was not kidding. Even the owner's dogs were great. They were very friendly. I have no complaints whatsoever regarding this B&B. I would highly recommend it to anyone staying in Columbus. We were delighted to have found such a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Columbus, MS, is a small town, our company has a small operation here, like many business traveler, I am often baffled by the thought - where can I find a nice place to recuperate after a long, seemingly never ending, tiresome day?

Once upon a time (oh, I checked, July 17th of 2012, 9:50 AM, to be exact), an interesting piece appeared on the hometown news paper - The Dispatch - titled as "Our View: Bill Gates Slept Here..." (please Google with the exact wording). Uh ha, this might be my long sought drifting bottle message floating in the ocean, the Da Vinci Code I have been dedicated to crack for a long time......

Until one big MSU football weekend, I was kicked out of a national chain hotel, checked into the lovely "Shadowlawn Bed and Breakfast", the mystery finally revealed itself!

A magnificent historical Palace built in 1849, with spacious French, Victorian, Cottage King suites, filled with stylish antique

Royal treatment breakfast, every morning is filled with surprises with classical music, Monte Cristo Sandwiches, Blueberry Soup;

A beautiful garden with southern landscaping, gracious owner/hostess Burnette makes you feel like home. Two coker Spaniel dogs greet you every day you leave and come back.

The place is more like a presidential retreat than an average lodging, in my opinion Shadowlawn is good enough to hold banquet for international government heads. They do host wedding there too. Truly one of a kind...

I have been there twice, left with a strong feeling, true or not, Bill Gates was indeed checked in here. What other place in town is more qualified to provide lodging accommodations for a guy like his greatness stature? I highly recommend to anybody, my KiOR coworkers included, come in here to enjoy the truly southern hospitality!

Room Tip: The Victorian King Suite is very nice
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dusseldorf, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

On a two weeks business trip to Columbus, I left my chain hotel room after two nights and moved to Shadowlawn for the remainder of my time in Mississippi. Burnette’s hospitality and the wonderful house just take your mind off work, and the breakfast is quite probably the best I have ever had. Thanks again for everything!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Clinton, Mississippi, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Shadowlawn is a magical place where all your worries melt away! The house and grounds are gorgeous, the rooms are more spacious than many we have stayed in in the past, the accommodations are wonderful. Anyone who loves southern history, Victorian antiques, or just the charm of the old south should visit here. There is much history both in the house and in the town. The house has many lovely antique pieces of furniture, too many to describe. The dining room is magical with lovely tablescapes and soft music at breakfast. And oh, the breakfast!! Absolutely divine every time we visit! The Monte Cristo is divine and definitely a favorite! In the evening we strolled around the grounds. The back yard is beautiful and your senses will be awaked by the lovely, enchanting smells of confederate jasmine, gardenias, bearded iris and wax leafed lagustrum, just to name a few! They are so lovely and so fragrant! I have a garden myself, but none so nice as this one, so it was truly heaven to appreciate the sights and scents of such lovely flowers! The hostess does many weddings and had created a "Pinterest wall" on her back fence for her own daughter's wedding. She graciously allowed us to take pictures in front of it and since we were celebrating our wedding anniversary it was a very special moment for us. Some of the most lovely photos I have of us are taken at Shadowlawn! Burnette truly goes out of her way to give everyone a wonderfully delightful experience at Shadowlawn! We have been married a year and have returned four more times. It has become our favorite place and one where we truly feel loved, welcomed, and right at home!

• Stayed May 2013
Jersey City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was lucky enough to stay at Shadowlawn for nearly a week while on business, and enjoyed every minute! The property is gorgeous and home so full of history and character. My room was incredibly regal, with beautiful antique furniture and drapery. Most of all, Burnette is a fabulous host (and cook!). She epitomizes Southern hospitality at its finest. And - of course - she made exquisite breakfasts for me during my stay. I highly recommend Shadowlawn for short or long stays and for events - such a beautiful setting!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Shadowlawn is perfectly romantic. I had the priviledge of being the photographer for a fairy tale wedding there this past weekend and Shadowlawn has certainly etched itself deep in my mind with such an awestruck first impression. The home, the decor, the antique furniture and the lawn were all amazing! I feel very honored to have hit it off greatly with the owner Mrs Burnette and am still amazed at the charm and graciousness of her and this beautiful place! Mrs Burnette handled my clients wedding from A to Z except for the photography. How can one person be so knowledgeable on all of the wedding planning from catering, decor, flowers to the hosting is beyond me but she did it flawlessly and intricately! I will forever be inspired by Shadowlawn!
Heather Riley,
Owner, heatherrileyphotography.com

• Stayed June 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Hello, I thought I would write a review on this hotel as it has to been one of my favourite places I have been to for a while. We spent just one night here and I wished it had been longer. We were there while annual pilgrimage was taking place.This is a small location of stunning homes in which to visit in this historical area. The home in itself is very impressive with some amazing items hidden around to beautiful rooms. The owner of this house is a lovely lady, extremely kind and takes care of her guests. The gardens are well presented, and a sit on the porch is a must in the early morning just listening to the birds. The attention to detail is lovely and you will feel very much at home. If you tke the time to talk with Burnette you will I am sure leave as a freind rather that just another guest. I would have no hesitation in reccommending her home to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Shadowlawn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!