“Do NOT STAY HERE!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
You added Rodeway Inn to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   721 North Davis Avenue, Cleveland, MS 38732 (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Cleveland
Atlanta, Georgia
“Do NOT STAY HERE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

This hotel is absolutely disgusting. If you have any standards at all, you'll stay elsewhere.
I was there for a graduation at Delta State. Unfortunately I waited too long about booking, so this was all that was left. I had an uneasy feeling about it to begin with, based on other reviews. They were not wrong.

I got there, and some pretty seedy characters who, I guess, LIVE there, were saying things to me in the parking lot. (A lone, female traveler). They obviously knew which room I went into, so right off the bat I already didn't feel safe. Had visions of my door being kicked in in the night.

Then, when I did walk into the room, it REEKED of disgusting cigarette smoke like you cannot imagine. It was so awful! I do not smoke, and cannot stand cigarette smoke, never mind stale, old smoke. This was clearly not a room I could stay in. I went and asked at the desk, and of course there were no other rooms.
I knew I could not feel safe here, never mind stand the smoke, so I tried everywhere else. No luck.

All I'll say is, make your reservations EARLY if you are going to Delta State graduation or anything else, and go to Holiday Inn Express or Hampton.
They unfortunately were full, so I had to go 10 miles away to the Ruleville Inn. Not exactly the plaza, but a lot safer and cleaner than the Econolodge.

Seriously, if you don't mind smoke and you simply don't care, this will be a fine place for you.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Valparaiso, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

My mother, sister, cousins, and children were traveling from Chicago, Il. and Valparaiso, In. Now of course we know you get what you pay for, but we didn't expect to get bit by "BED BUGS". Nor did we expect to stick our keycard in the door and get locked out. It was about 2:00 a.m. on Friday, October 29, when we got back to the room. We got ready for bed and my son was getting in the bed and saw a bug. My mother also witness the bug then. I proceeded to pull the covers all the way back and discovered a few more. We started smashing them! We were apprehensive to stay until the morning, but we had a blanket and laid it on top of the comforter. That morning about 6:30, we got up to address this matter and discovered more bugs in both bed. We had been bitten!!!!! We pulled the comforter completely off the bed to discover that it was filthy and soiled with a reddish stain. It looked like a woman's monthly! Disgusting! The chair in this room was also fitlthy. We had a hard time using our keycard on several occassions. My sister room was filthy also, although she didn't have bugs in her bed, it was just as filthy. We had cousins that traveled from Detroit and St. Louis, and we told them to cancel their rooms due to the inconsitency of the cleanliness and sanitation. I wouldn't recommend anyone staying at this hotel, until it have been cleaned, sanitized, and the bedding cleaned or made new.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Horn Lake, Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

We stayed here for the DSU Honor Choir and were absolutely horrified with our experience. Students dealt with everything from old moldy food in the refrigerators to curtains falling down and beds with holes burned into the mattress! Attempts by the director to have situations handled were met with little to no success. There was no attempt to make things right during our stay or after we left when the director made multiple complaints. There are at least three other hotels in the area. If you have any option at all, stay at one of them!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

Stayed in August 2010 ,whilst escorting my nephew to Delta State University. Not the best start to his scholarship in the USA, unfortunately Cleveland does not offer much choice, On our first night a picture fell off the wall for no apparent reason, nearly slicing my nephews head off., there was galss everywhere.
Front desk were not in the slightest bit interested ,in my opinion, they were rude and dismissive of the whole situation.
After various conversations they agreed to refund the cost of my whole stay, 2 nights, surprise, surprise when I received my credit card bill, they had not.
They then denied they had offered me the refund.
Avoid this hotel at all costs, try the holiday inn across road, it is far nicer, it is a proper hotel with indoor rooms and pleasant staff.
The breakfast at the Econo is also disgusting, never seen anything like it., it is also full of construction workers from all over the states, shouting and drinking all night., and banging on your window, someone even fired up a BBQ outside his room door on the night I was there, unbelievable.!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Jackson, MS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Please understand that I am basing this review on expectations of a hotel in this class. When I entered my room for the first time maintenance was working on the mini fridge in the room that had been leaking, causing the floor to be wet for my entire stay. It was a small area that was wet so it did not bother me too badly, as I was not very picky on this trip. The room was clean enough, although not spotless. It met my expectations of an Econo Lodge. The most surprising thing about my stay was how friendly the entire staff was. There was a very nice attendant on staff in the morning to assist with the continental breakfast. Everyone from checkout to the maintenance staff was extremely freindly which made my stay quite pleasant.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2007

First: This used to be a Comfort Inn; there is now a new Comfort Inn next door.

The room, amenities, conditions were just fine. I'd prefer glass glasses rather than throwaway plastic, but that's minor. Make sure you post the "Do not disturb" if you don't want an early wakeup pounding on the door -- your throwing the deadbolt, which should make that clear, doesn't, it seems.

What was not minor is that my room card red-lighted EVERY night. Each time, returning with arms loaded with stuff after attending the day at the Juke Joint festival 35 miles away in Clarksdale, at past 1AM, twice in the rain, climbing to the second floor: No entry. Had to go back to the office, ring a bell or rap on the glass (office door is locked at night), get a fresh card. Once is a nitpick; twice an annoyance; three times . . . the office staff reached the manager, who then offered my $30 off my four day bill. I turned her down.

So, if you don't mind a nightly lockdown, it's a fine place. But there are five other fine motels and inns within a quarter mile -- a real Comfort Inn next door, Holiday Inn Express across the street. I suggest using them.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brandon, MS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2007

We booked a two night stay for our two boys to attend the swim meet. We were surprised when we entered our room to find the heat going full blast. We turned it off & left to go eat. When we returned, we realized that the floor by the dressing area (maybe 6 ft x 5 ft) was soaking wet. (You could actually see the water when you stepped on the carpet.) We called the office who informed us there was not another room available & they would send the maintenance man. The maintenance man thought the leak was
under the sink. He used a wet/dry vac to suck several gallons of water out of the carpet and brought towels for us to lay down on the carpet. By this time, the room was smelling musty from old water & wet carpet, but there wasn't another room available anywhere due to the swim meet. The towels were soaked through immediately & we were replacing them constantly. We had to put the air conditioner on to try to get some of the smell out of the room.
We had to start team warmups early, early the next morning, but were told the problem would be fixed by our return that afternoon. However, when we came back about 4 PM, the wet towels were still down on the floor, and the carpet still pooled up water when you stepped on it.
Only when we called about this, did they agree to move us to another room. They did not offer to bring the card to us or offer to help us move our things. They did mention the leak was in the wall and the room directly behind us was also wet..
I feel that the heat being turned up, the musty smell of the carpet and the sheer amount of water in the carpet all indicate that this was not a new leak and they had been aware of it and trying to dry
out the carpet. I think that since they put us in a faulty room, they should have had the courtesy to bring a new room card to us, and at the very least, offer to help us move our items to the new room. To top it all off, when we checked out, they did not offer to remove the charges for the first night, or even to discount our stay. They charged the full price, until my husband said something, and then they discounted 10%. Big deal!!
So much for management. On the plus side, the maintenance man was very nice to us, and the lady staffing the breakfast room was wonderful with the children, even going so far as to go borrow some chocolate mix because my 6 year old wanted hot chocolate! Their management team needs to take lessons from their regular staff!
I could not ever recommend this motel to anyone. As a member of a fairly large swim team, I will pass on my unfortunate experience to prevent this happening to any of our teammates.
After that experience, I doubt if I will ever even try another Comfort Inn.

Stayed March 2007

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!