“Nice budget hotel, but with no frills” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Best Western PLUS Cypress Creek

You added Best Western PLUS Cypress Creek to your Saves list
Best Western PLUS Cypress Creek
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7921 Lamar Poole Road, I-10 @ Exit 50, Biloxi, MS 39532   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
1,000 bonus reward points
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Biloxi
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Nice budget hotel, but with no frills”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed at the Best Western in Ocean Springs in June 2012 for a quick 3-day 'get away' vacation. Given the choices (and prices) of hotels I had, I would choose to stay at this one again. For the $62 a night I paid, I was quite pleased with the accommodations, but if you choose to stay here, be aware that it is a budget hotel and you will only have a satisfactory, basic, no-frills stay here. My comments here are also based on a 3-day, mid-week stay, so guests staying there over weekends might have a different experience.

There are many positive things I could say about this hotel. The hotel is right off I-10 and very easy to find. It is also only a few miles from the beach, which is a straight shot down the road once you get off I-10 at the Ocean Springs exit. It is only about 10-15 minutes from the casinos and the beach in Biloxi, and only about a 20 minute drive from the outlet mall in Gulfport. When I booked my room online, the Best Western website only allowed me to book a room with two queen beds, unless I wanted pay a significant upcharge for a "suite". When I arrived at the hotel, the front desk clerk (who was very pleasant) upgraded me to a 'king suite' upon my request, at no extra charge. The hotel lobby and common areas seemed very clean and were aesthetically pleasing. The room itself was very nice and considerably larger than I expected, and looked exactly like the pictures the hotel management have provided on this site. I assume the 'suite' part of the room consists of a half-wall divider between the bed and a couch that is on the other side; I guess the sitting area is what distinguishes a suite from a regular guest room. The room was very clean; I did not notice any obvious dirt or grime anywhere in the room, although it did smell a bit musty when I first walked in. One nice thing about this hotel is that they wrap the bedspreads in between two bedsheets which (I assume) get washed after each guest leaves. That made me feel like I was sleeping on fresh sheets rather than a potentially dirty bedspread used by countless other guests. The bed was comfortable (not too hard), and the several pillows provided were nice and fluffy, yet firm. The floor I was on was also very quiet; I rarely noticed any type of noise at any time during the day, and certainly not late at night, although I saw numerous other guests going in and out of rooms close to mine. The hotel offers free wi-fi, as well as free wired internet access in the guest rooms, which I took full advantage of. The internet worked quite well for me throughout my stay. My only issue with it is that every time I put my smartphone and/or computer down and stopped using the net for more than a few minutes, I had to re-login to the hotel connection; my devices would not 'remember' the internet connection, presumably because their system is somehow set up to make it work that way. That became a bit tedious after a while.

I used the pool once, and it was relatively clean, other than some tree leaves and grass that had gotten in there--although, to be fair, I was in the pool around 7 p.m. I saw a maintenance man cleaning and treating the pool every morning, so I know there was regular maintenance of it. The bottom of the pool is peeling and is in need of some repair, but again, I think this is to be expected in a hotel of this caliber. Most of the hotel staff were very friendly and pleasant; a couple of them went out of their way to be helpful on different issues I inquired about. The free breakfast the hotel provides is more than continental; it is just about what I would expect for a hotel of this size and quality. They had everything from 4 different breakfast cereals to breads, muffins, danish, eggs, yogurt and sausage links, plus coffee and 2 different juices. The best part about the breakfast was that they offered waffles, which most everyone seemed to take advantage of. The food, of course, is nothing to write home about, but it is complimentary and much better than that served at a lot of budget hotels, so I was pleased with it.

There were a few things I noticed about the hotel that I was not crazy about. I saw the man who I assume was the hotel manager (because of his badge) walking around several times during my stay--in fact, I would refer to it more as 'skulking'--and I became immediately uncomfortable each time I saw him. He constantly had a scowl on his face, never said hello as he passed me, and a couple of times outright glared at me. I understand that people have bad days, but when you are the face of a business in a customer service-driven industry, sometimes you just have to put on a happy face if you're feeling it or not. The maid who was working my floor was very pleasant and sweet--but she was perhaps a bit too 'in your face' for me. As I was on vacation, I slept late every day and didn't leave the hotel until 10 or 11 every morning. The second I opened the door to my room to walk out in the morning (with the 'do not disturb' sign prominently displayed on the outside of the door), the maid would stop whatever she was doing, no matter where on the floor she was, run out into the hall, and ask me if I wanted room service. This happened every morning I was there. Some people might like this sort of eagerness and her brand of hospitality, but I felt it was a bit overwhelming. Whenever I felt the need to have my room cleaned, I would always put the 'please clean room' sign on my door. I didn't feel like the morning 'attacks' were welcome, especially as I am not a morning person and just wanted to be left alone.

Another (minor) problem I encountered had to do with the in-room safe. When I got there, my safe was locked and could not be opened. I immediately reported this to the (very pleasant) front desk clerk, and she promised me someone would be up shortly to fix it if I would just wait in my room. I waited for half an hour, but no one came. I finally went down to the front desk and was told that there was only one person the hotel employed for such things, and he could not be located. She promised me that the safe would be fixed that day. Unfortunately, it was not fixed during my entire stay. This is really a minor issue, but I wanted to keep my laptop and other valuables in a locked safe while I was away, but wasn't able to do so.

When I went to the hotel, I originally planned to use the fitness center every day I was there. This proved to be impossible. The gym is tiny, and the only item of workout equipment that worked was the treadmill. The elliptical machine was out of order, most of the weightlifting equipment was not working (the weights were not connected to the frame), and the weights were pushed right up against the treadmill, making them impossible to use anyway. Every time I went down to the gym, there was someone already using the treadmill, which made it impossible for me to even get on it. This aspect of the hotel needs some serious improvement if they want to list it on their website as one of the available amenities.

There were only two minor aspects of my room that I had any problem with. The first was the bathtub; it was very small and in need of some repairs. The water pressure in the room was very low, no matter what time of day or night I bathed. The low pressure coming out of the shower head made my showers last several minutes longer than they do at home, and it took me literally about 15 minutes to fill the bathtub with water with me sitting in it. With the recent remodeling the hotel has gone through, they have really nice flat-screen TVs in the guest rooms. The only problem is that, although the TVs are mounted on the wall with adjustable arms, they are locked in place (with an actual lock that requires a key) and cannot be moved. This means, essentially, that you can only watch TV from the bed, since the TV is mounted flat against the wall. If you are sitting on the couch or at the desk, it is nearly impossible to see the TV screen since its position cannot be adjusted.

Overall, I had a pleasant stay at the Best Western in Ocean Springs and would recommend it to others if you are looking for a cheap, quick stay in a convenient location. But do be aware that it is a budget hotel and you will not find frills there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western PLUS Cypress Creek, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you for your thorough review of Best Western PLUS Cypress Creek. We will immediately investigate some of your concerns and apologize for these inconveniences you experienced. While you mention this is a budget hotel, it is classified in the mid-tier property set. Budget hotels would consist of properties such as Motel 6 or TravelLodge which do not offer breakfast, pools, gyms, or in-room amenities. After reading the review, we will surely look into the staff matters you mentioned. We want our guests to feel comfortable, and will continue to train our team with your feedback. Regarding the TVs, we did allow for range of motion prior, but had to bolt them down for safety purposes. We will also review the concerns with the in-room safe and fitness center. Thank you again for your helpful review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Brookhaven, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I had sooooooo much fun!!!!!!! There is a woman that works at the front desk named Shellian she is sooooooo cool and fun!!! She made my days here amazing!!!! I know im going to come back again!!!!! It's also only 5 min. from the beach!!!!! Because I could go on for days about my day, im just going to tell u it's fun, cool, and the best thing ever!!! U should always go there!!!!!! :) :D :) :D :P :P

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
BiloxiHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western PLUS Cypress Creek, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thank you very much for your very energetic compliments on Best Western PLUS Cypress Creek! We will surely let Shellian know that she provided wonderful customer service! See you again next time--thanks again!
Avondale
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a short weekend getaway for my birthday. Let's just say there was no 'Happy Birthday' for me! When I first arrived the front desk did not seem interested in checking my in. When I went into the first room the air conditioning was broken. I went back to the front desk and they switched me to another room after asking me a battery of questions about the air conditioner. When I got to the room I basically dropped off my bags and left. I came back pretty late and just crashed. In the morning I was searching for a receipt that I left in the previous room, but thought that it was there. I pulled back the sheets and BAM! I slept in someone's blood! Needless to say I went back to the front desk to show them the pictures of the blood I just slept on that was on the mattress cover. They told me "oh it looks like coffee" " I replied " coffee isn't red!!!! So the front desk told me there was nothing she could do and the manager would call me later. I NEVER got a call. So if you want to sleep on someone's BODY FLUIDS this is the place to pick!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
BiloxiHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western PLUS Cypress Creek, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Thank you for your comments, We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience your experienced with your room and the front desk. We do wash our linens on a daily basis, and our coverlets are also laundered, as is the new industry standard for this class of hotel. We also offer triple-sheeting so the guest is never in contact with the coverlet, even if it is laundered as well. Regarding the mattress pad, I apologize if management has not responded to you. It will be reviewed and we will have someone contact you if not already.
Alamo, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

This hotel could have not have won any awards lately. It is tired and in need of an update. Scratched chipped furniture, scuffed walls show lack of care by management. The breakfast room was a disgrace...again cabinets scratched, minimal food offered, garbage on the floor, generally unappealing! The attendant did not seem to notice that there was garbage on the floor and it remainded there. We all have different standards of what is clean....the appearance of this room showed that a lower standard was being used here.

• Stayed May 2012
BiloxiHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western PLUS Cypress Creek, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Thank you for your review on Best Western PLUS Cypress Creek. We apologize that your stay was not fully satisfying. We have recently upgraded our carpet, mattresses, soft goods, and amenities to provide for more services at our property. We are moving to the next phase of capital improvement with our case goods. For the breakfast, we follow the Best Western International guidelines, and apologize if the staff failed to replenish the breakfast items if that was the case.
We will also investigate the matter on cleanliness and scuffed furniture. Thanks again, and we sincerely apologize for your inconvenience.
Fairfield, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stopped here while driving between locations. It was after midnight, raining, and we were looking for a place to get a few hours sleep and shower before finishing our drive back to the airport in a neighboring state to fly home. We had stayed in a different BW a few nights prior for the same price as this one, and had found that one to be very nice, newer, and clean. Our room at this BW was dated. There were two queen beds. We routinely check under hotel mattresses for signs of bed bugs just to be on the safe side. There were hairs, a speck of something, and some small gray stains on the bedskirt topper underneath the mattress of the first bed we checked. Fortunately the second bed was not as bad, although there were some hairs and grayish stains on the bedskirt topper of that bed as well. I decided we should move our luggage and belongings off the floor, just in case. The room was stuffy, there was no wall control for the HVAC, just on the unit itself. Multiple lights were lit up and we tried pushing different ones to cool the room off, but we only had a few hours to sleep and didn't have time to figure it out, so the room stayed stuffy. After about 3 hours, I got up to shower. There was bubbled and peeling paint in the bathroom, but the worst part was that the sink was outside the bathroom, in the bedroom area, so I had to turn on a light to get ready while my husband was still trying to sleep. We left after about 4 1/2 hours, and there was a large dead bug in the hotel entryway. Even though we paid less than $80, and were only there a few hours, we wished we'd stayed elsewhere. This was definitely the worst BW we'd stayed in, and one of our least comfortable hotel stays. I usually research where we stay on TA beforehand; we rarely stop along the way. We should have complained about the cleanliness to the desk clerk, but we didn't want to take the time as we needed to get back on the road. I was actually surprised by the recent positive reviews, because that wasn't our experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
BiloxiHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western PLUS Cypress Creek, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Hello and thank you for your review. I offer my apologies that you were not satisfied with your recent stay at our award-winning property. We will look into the comments you stated to continue improving our methods of cleaning. We do not offer hourly room rental, so the rate was the nightly rate. We wish you would have told us how to make your stay more pleasant so that we may try to help you with the amenities in the room (HVAC), or offer you a more suitable room to your liking. We also would have returned your funds if you were not satisfied upon check in. As there are about 10 other hotels on the block, we do our best to truly earn your business from our competition.
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Extra clean facility - very comffy beds although don't like the new postage stamp sized pillows a lot of the hotels are using now - hot breakfast was plentiful and yummy

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for your review! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at Best Western PLUS Cypress Creek. Our apologies that you were not satisfied with the size of the pillows, they are custom designed for the BW franchise. I am pleased to know everything else was to your liking! We sincerely look forward to having you back again in the future!
Terrebonne, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed there for two nights beginning of February and really enjoyed our stay. The lady at the reception in the afternoon was very helpful in giving us directions and advice on a tour. We had a nice clean and comfortable room. The pool was closed due to cold weather and unfortunately the area was locked. Still I managed to grab chairs over the fence and we enjoyed fresh air just the same. Breakfast was fine. The rate is lower than to stay on the Casino Strip and it is only ten minutes to get there. BW Cypress is located near I-10 and Washington Blvd. which leads you to the Casinos area. Make sure to take The Biloxi Train Tour (Historic Biloxi) with a wonderful guide named Carla. Check it at biloxitourtrain.com. Finally, at check out, I had the opportunity to have a very interesting long conversation with the Day Manager. I feel we still have a lot to talk about. Very fine gentleman. My wife and I felt very welcome and safe at that place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
BiloxiHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western PLUS Cypress Creek, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
We are truly happy that you enjoyed your stay with BW PLUS Cypress Creek. Thank you for your review and the wonderful compliments on our team. We truly appreciate it and hope to see you again in the future!

Been to Best Western PLUS Cypress Creek? Share your experiences!