“Good food, but sat around waiting after eating” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 202 Restaurants in Biloxi
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
“Good food, but sat around waiting after eating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

The food was definitely good and came out within 10 minutes, but next time I get homefries I will have to make sure they fully cook the onions.
It turns out you just go pay at the register, but it was 10 minutes after eating before i found that out, even though there was only one other table of guests.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Sautee Nacoochee, Georgia
“Heavenly in Biloxi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

All I can say is "WOW". A big thanks to the gentleman at our pool who heard us discussing lunch plans. He highly recommended the Schooner. No fancy stuff here...just good, no heavenly good food. We ate here 2 days in a row and took home a gallon of gumbo to share with friends. Perfect PoBoys, gumbo to die for, fresh warm bread with the gumbo, fried crab claws that made us want to move to Biloxi, fried shrimp in corn meal breading not heavy flour breading, and being treated as a regular by the wait staff and the owner. The owner was so friendly and appreciated our choosing his place for lunch. Many patrons were called by name and ordered one of the daily specials which also looked as if my Mama cooked it. I felt I was eating in one of those special gulf diners from the 50,s. Oh man, we will return soon to Biloxi just to eat another heavenly meal with the Schooner.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hazel Green, Alabama
“Great Place fo Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We arrived here about 1230 on a Monday and there was plenty of seating (WARNING: Several places to eat in Biloxi are closed on Monday). We had the crab claw basket, gravy fries, and crawfish po'boy. Our total was around $25 or so. The food was had a great fresh taste and the atmosphere was really warming. It felt like the same town place from your home town. Service was great and food was good. What more could you ask for?

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hattiesburg, MS
“Raises the Bar on Po-Boys”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Biloxi Schooner leads the pack in producing the best po-boys imaginable. I’ve tasted and eaten a lot of po-boys around the South; I have yet to find one that surpasses those produced at that owner-operated place in downtown Biloxi.

The Schooner is my traditional lunch spot for Biloxi trips. It is a rare visit that I don’t eat one of their po-boys. I pass on the free casino lunch “comps” and, instead, make the short drive to the Old Biloxi Schooner. No brainer. An incredible po-boy for under $10.00 out of my pocket leads to greater personal satisfaction than a free mediocre casino buffet.

This visit was worked in between two casino stops. I had been looking forward to their really, really good cheese and crabmeat po-boys. Unlike most po-boys establishments, the Schooner prepares theirs on a pressed bun, resulting in flattened delight of crabmeat, cheese, lettuce and tomato. They are large and quite filling. After such a lunch, my appetite for an evening meal is frequently reduced to the snack category.

They have six or so po-boys on the menu. My experiences consist of the crabmeat-cheese, the oyster, and the shrimp. All are especially good, but the spicy crabmeat-cheese easily remains my favorite. In my book, this po-boy ranks among the top twenty of my overall food delights in the U.S.

The Schooner is primarily a place for locals. The restaurant isn’t fancy. It has a nautical touch with numerous shrimp boat and other water-related black and white photos on the walls. They have booths, tables, and counter service. When dining alone I typically just sit at the counter. It is a good spot for quick service, as was true on this occasion. My server was friendly, prompt, efficient, and good in checking back.

The po-boy prices are moderate to inexpensive as are most of their other items. I often eat a very inexpensive breakfast at the Schooner also, but this was not an option on this trip.

Occasionally I order the gumbo with lunch. The gumbo, for whatever reason, seems to vary between being moderately good to very good. I skipped the gumbo on this particular visit, but once the weather turns cooler, I’ll be back for gumbo too.

The Schooner definitely fills a niche in Biloxi.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gulfport, Mississippi
“We keep going back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Being locals we know of most good food on the Coast. Somehow we overlooked?the Schooner since it had moved after Katrina. Until one afternoon we decided on having lunch there. As it turned out, the food was great. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. The service was excellent. Now we make it there quite often and find it consistently very good all around.
Worth a visit and a meal.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Ole Biloxi Schooner? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Ole Biloxi Schooner, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.