“Great Place fo Lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Hazel Green, Alabama
“Great Place fo Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We arrived here about 1230 on a Monday and there was plenty of seating (WARNING: Several places to eat in Biloxi are closed on Monday). We had the crab claw basket, gravy fries, and crawfish po'boy. Our total was around $25 or so. The food was had a great fresh taste and the atmosphere was really warming. It felt like the same town place from your home town. Service was great and food was good. What more could you ask for?

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
Hattiesburg, MS
“Raises the Bar on Po-Boys”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Biloxi Schooner leads the pack in producing the best po-boys imaginable. I’ve tasted and eaten a lot of po-boys around the South; I have yet to find one that surpasses those produced at that owner-operated place in downtown Biloxi.

The Schooner is my traditional lunch spot for Biloxi trips. It is a rare visit that I don’t eat one of their po-boys. I pass on the free casino lunch “comps” and, instead, make the short drive to the Old Biloxi Schooner. No brainer. An incredible po-boy for under $10.00 out of my pocket leads to greater personal satisfaction than a free mediocre casino buffet.

This visit was worked in between two casino stops. I had been looking forward to their really, really good cheese and crabmeat po-boys. Unlike most po-boys establishments, the Schooner prepares theirs on a pressed bun, resulting in flattened delight of crabmeat, cheese, lettuce and tomato. They are large and quite filling. After such a lunch, my appetite for an evening meal is frequently reduced to the snack category.

They have six or so po-boys on the menu. My experiences consist of the crabmeat-cheese, the oyster, and the shrimp. All are especially good, but the spicy crabmeat-cheese easily remains my favorite. In my book, this po-boy ranks among the top twenty of my overall food delights in the U.S.

The Schooner is primarily a place for locals. The restaurant isn’t fancy. It has a nautical touch with numerous shrimp boat and other water-related black and white photos on the walls. They have booths, tables, and counter service. When dining alone I typically just sit at the counter. It is a good spot for quick service, as was true on this occasion. My server was friendly, prompt, efficient, and good in checking back.

The po-boy prices are moderate to inexpensive as are most of their other items. I often eat a very inexpensive breakfast at the Schooner also, but this was not an option on this trip.

Occasionally I order the gumbo with lunch. The gumbo, for whatever reason, seems to vary between being moderately good to very good. I skipped the gumbo on this particular visit, but once the weather turns cooler, I’ll be back for gumbo too.

The Schooner definitely fills a niche in Biloxi.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gulfport, Mississippi
“We keep going back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Being locals we know of most good food on the Coast. Somehow we overlooked?the Schooner since it had moved after Katrina. Until one afternoon we decided on having lunch there. As it turned out, the food was great. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. The service was excellent. Now we make it there quite often and find it consistently very good all around.
Worth a visit and a meal.

Savannah
“Hanging with the locals!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We just had a wonderfully delicious meal at Ole Biloxi Schooner. It was almost closing time when we arrived at the restaurant and we were encouraged to come on in and have a seat. Everyone treated us very kindly as well as a guy hanging out at the counter who already had his food ready to go. He appeared to be a local who was just visiting with the folks who were getting ready to close. The employees were very outgoing and seemingly took pride in their job. My husband had the shrimp basket with fries and hush puppies which he loved. I wasn't impressed with the hush puppies as they were smaller than the ones served where we live but he didn't complain because he loves popcorn shrimp and he had more than he could eat. I was quiet impressed with my crawfish and cheese poboy sandwich. O my goodness, I think it was the best food I had on the whole weeks vacation and we did enjoy some very good food! We will return to Ole Biloxi Schooner on our next trip. My husband saw the breakfast menu and is already planning to visit between 7:00 and 10 am for eggs and biscuits!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Southern fried fish and shrimp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

We visit biloxi often and we almost always visit this place staff amazing and food is great. Prices not so bad either. I always order fried fish and shrimp. Hubby get the hamburger steak with extra gravy. This is a true comfort food restaurant. Hard to find even harder to figure out parking but go anyway you won't be disappointed.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to Ole Biloxi Schooner? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Ole Biloxi Schooner, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.