“Great out-of-the-way Spot” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Hattiesburg, MS
“Great out-of-the-way Spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This out-of-the way spot knows how to make a truly delicious po-boy! Ironically, I had passed within a few blocks of this wonderful little spot for years and did not know of its existence until very recently—thanks to TA reviews.

The restaurant is located on the dead-end portion of West Division Street, just west of I-110. It is not far from four casinos: the IP, Boomtown, Beau Rivage, and Hard Rock. It provides a wonderful alternative to casino cuisine.

I arrived on the early side, so had no problem finding a table. My plan was to order a crabmeat po-boy, but, on this occasion the deli was out of crab meat. Had to go to “Plan B” and order the oyster version instead. Great alternate choice! One of the best po-boys in the area. An abundance of medium-fried oysters served on good French bread and dressed with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise. (Oysters will be fried to order. Just ask).

Since my first sample was that good, I have high expectations that other po-boys would score high as well. As I commonly do with new places, I sampled the seafood gumbo too. The gumbo had a medium brown colored roux—a bit lighter than I prefer. It was definitely above average, but it did not fall into the extraordinary range as did the po-boy. That said, I still wouldn’t hesitate to have gumbo again on a cool day.

The restaurant is not fancy. In fact, the seafood market and deli are basically in the same large room. The deli dining area is to extreme left end of building. A limited number of tables/chairs in this area, but there are also a number of tables under a covered area outside the front entrance. Hours are limited. Check ahead of time!

Service was prompt. Prices are reasonable. This is one of those places where one walks to/from cashier to order and pick up the food. Plates, cups are disposable.

My only “negative” (and this is a minor complaint) deals with beverages. They don’t sell beer (and I like beer with my po-boys). The only soft drinks available come in bottles far larger than I would ever purchase normally. (Went with water on this occasion). I have this thing, you see, with having large drinks (that I really don’t want) sort of forced on me.

Desporte’s is definitively on my list for a re-visit ASAP.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
Mississippi
“If in Biloxi and you crave fresh seafood, find this place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have visited many, many times to purchase fresh seafood in the market. If I can time it right, I am there when the deli opens at about 11 a.m. Place your order at the deli for a po-boy, fully dressed with your choice of fried seafood. While the food is being prepard, shop the fresh market. My favorite po-boy is a half and half, that is one side fried oysters, one side fried shrimp. These items were walked over the the deli from the cooler. The fried crab claws are also excellent Don't expect a fancy place. It is modern, clean and busy all the time, but if you want to eat, go during the lunch hour. You will find the prices to be fair and well worth the experience.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sylacauga, Alabama
“good selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stopped in on my way home in another state. I wanted some fresh seafood to cook at home and they didn't disappoint. I got some snapper, crab claws, and a brick of shrimp. they iced it down for me and away I went. we cooked the seafood over the weekend and it was fresh and had an excellent taste. i'll be back on my next trip to Biloxi.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Natchitoches, Louisiana
“Fresh seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Wonderful family-owned seafood company and restaurant. We have been visiting for years and always get friendly service as well as fair prices. Locals love it.

Visited July 2013
Biloxi, Mississippi
“Freshest fish, great service, great people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Our favorite is Redfish. We get it the day it was caught and they're glad to filet it, or cut it any way you wish. All their seafood is fresh for you to take home a prepare

Visited August 2012