“A disappointment if you knew the Grand before Hurricane Katrina” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Harrah's Gulf Coast

You added Harrah's Gulf Coast to your Saves list
Harrah's Gulf Coast
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   280 Beach Boulevard, Biloxi, MS 39530 (Formerly Grand Biloxi Casino Hotel & Spa)   |
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in Biloxi
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dothan, Alabama
“A disappointment if you knew the Grand before Hurricane Katrina”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

First let me say, I live just a few hours away and have traveled to Biloxi many times over the years and have stayed at a number of the casino hotels there. This was our first trip back to the Grand post Katrina. Since Katrina we've stayed twice at the IP, once at the Palace and once at the Beau Rivage. All seemed to have "upgraded" from what we knew before the town was devastated. We espected the same at the Grand. Here's what we experienced.
Our trip decision was last minute, so I went online and reserved a King Bed Non smoking room, printed my confirmation and we hit the road. I called to confirm that our late arrival wouldnt jeapordize our room and I was told that as long as we arrived by 10 pm they wouldnt reassign our room. But just outside of Mobile a major accident stopped traffic on I-10 and we were stopped completely 2 hours. I called again and gave them our new arrival time of 10:30 and confirmed our room would still be reserved. I was told that it would be. We arrived at 10:15 and upon checkin we were told that the only king bed they had was in a smoking room. When I asked why our reservations were not honored we were told that the reservation only assures we have a room, not the type of room. She then came up with a double bed non smoking room. We weren't happy but we agreed to take it. Then we were told that although they had that room, it wouldnt be ready for another hour but we could take our luggage to the bellhop and they would hold it until the room was ready. That would have been nice except there was no bell hop on duty so we had to take our luggage with us to get a bite to eat. When the room was ready, miraculously a king non smoking room was available so they did finally at 11:20pm get us in the room of our choosing. I have no complains with the room other than water pressure. It took me 15 minutes to get the shampoo out of my hair the next morning because it there just wasnt much pressure. Other than that the room was clean and well equipped.
We went down to the casino for a few hours and were disappointed again. After playing the slot machines for over an hour, we never saw a waitress. I had to go to the bar to get us a drink. My spouse and I then moved over to the roulette table which was directly in front of the bar. When we still didnt see a waitress my husband commented that he needed a drink and our dealer told us we would be quicker to go get it ourselves! Wow! Not only did we have to go get the drinks ourselves, the bartender made us pay for them!!!! In the 15 years I've played been traveling to Biloxi, I've never bought a drink while gaming. Outside the casino, yes, but when playing, they've always been on the house.

The place wasnt bad, but it was not at all worth a return trip to me when there are better options available.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Vicksburg, Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

The service here is extremely rude. This place is NOT what it used to be, we haven't been to the Gand since before Katrina. Also, this place was supposed to build this huge resort across the street, but they stopped building it in the middle of construction. There has literally been a concrete junkyard there since 2008, and there is no telling if the company will even resume construction considering that there is vegetation growing in the construction site. Spend your money somewhere else, and STAY AWAY!!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

Everyone we came in contact with was very friendly although the wait staff in the casino very rarely came by. The room was ok, not a good view at all tho. The room was sort of musty smelling when we first arrived but I guess we got used to it. Had a flat screen tv, and small table and chairs. The bed was sort of hard and like others reviews stated, the room was rather dark even with the lamps on. The safe is only big enough for a wallet or something small. Good luck trying to fit a purse in there. We ate at the buffet once just because we didn't want to drive anywhere that night. It was Golden Corral quality. Definitely not worth $36 for two people and the line was very long, the staff tell you where to sit. ( never encountered that at a buffet before)

jacksonville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

I've stayed 10 times at the "Grand" since 12/09 and my husband refuses to ever stay at the Grand again. The last room we were in the carpet was so dirty we had to keep our shoes on when in the room. The bathroom had stray hairs in the shower and sink. We saw housekeeping in the hallway and asked them to clean our room again which they did and we were grateful. There was an old rusty "dorm size" refrigerator in the room which did not smell very good and we did not open it. I do however love the casino - even though it is small, I have always felt safe there and they have good slots. The buffet is much, much improved, way better than before and the hostess and waitresses are very kind and friendly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

Stayed for two nights. When we walked in the first night we found the room to be stale and uncomfortable. It got better after we turned on the air conditioner. The neighbors across the hall were very loud and woke us up more than once. They checked out and the second night was good. Just a warning for travelers though - this hotel is not a fancy resort. The food options are very limited, and there is no night life here. It was fine for me, I was there to visit family. We did eat at the buffet for Sunday mimosa breakfast, and it was fine. The staff were some of the friendliest I've ever run across.

TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

We jsut got back from spending four days at the Grand Biloxi Hotel and was very pleased and satisfied. Our room was large and clean and was refreshed each day while we were away golfing. The staff was friendly and helpful. We ate the breakfast buffet two mornings and it was good and hot. We will definitly return, if the rates are right.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Dothan, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

From the time we entered the parking garage until the moment we left, the entire staff was super friendly. The room was nice and clean....it was a perfect overnight getaway for us.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Harrah's Gulf Coast? Share your experiences!