“Think of the COMPS” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harrah's Gulf Coast

You added Harrah's Gulf Coast to your Saves list
Harrah's Gulf Coast
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   280 Beach Boulevard, Biloxi, MS 39530 (Formerly Grand Biloxi Casino Hotel & Spa)   |
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in Biloxi
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kingman, Arizona
“Think of the COMPS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We drove 6 hours during tropical storm Lee to get to the Grand Biloxi. The check-was fast and friendly. We went up to our room to find a beautiful nice clean room and a king bed to die for. Went down to the casino and held our own. Slots weren’t as tifght as we have seen other places. We were able to play and enjoy the bonuses. The buffet was great. The food was hot and delicious with a good variety for everyone. All the personnel that we encountered we friendly and helpful. We had read reviews that the hotel and casino were old and small. We found them to be very enjoyable. The ticket redemption machines all worked. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to cash in a ticket and have to go to machine after machine. People complain about the slots being tight but you also have to think about the COMPS. We have played at over 100 casinos and the comps at Harrah’s are the best around. Use your comps to get free stays. It doesn’t take that long to accumulate enough comps for a free stay. We have played at other casinos and and spent as much as we do at Harrah’s and don’t have enough to get a free meal let alone anything else. There were leaks in the lobby and in the casino with the driving rain and the casino handled the problem with as little inconvenience to the customers as possible. The check-out was smooth and easy. We were glad that we had come to experience the grandness that the Grand Biloxi represents.

Room Tip: Earn the comps and USE them
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
OKC,Ok
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

This review may be somewhat biased...I stayed here multiple times prior to Katrina. It was truly GRAND in those days! It appears they are trying to do business in what used to be primarily the convention center and pool area. They have crammed as much as they can into this space. Construction across the street where the casino and main hotel areas used to be have ceased, or at least I saw no activity there during my 5 days of stay. Let me begin a review of what's there currently. The parking area is very narrow and is somewhat difficult to navigate, there are no posted speed limits and some customers are leaving much to fast! Parking spaces are at 90 degrees which makes life particularly difficult if you are parked next to a SUV or large truck. Makes backing very difficult and on coming drivers can't see your back up lights. Check in was quick and efficient. Elevators were spacious and rapid. The room was in very good repair and spacious. Air conditioning was very cold but difficult to adjust because the thermostat was on the north wall and was not getting representative sample of the room air. The TV was very basic, mostly offering local channels and movies. Watch the phone charges! Local calls, 800 numbers, I thought were $1 each...they billed me at $1 per minute! The hot water on the 6th floor took about 5 minutes to become luke warm...the front desk said this is because the water actually comes from the second floor. The view of the north side of Biloxi is not very flattering. In spite of my reservations about the room to be fair it was clean, secure and well maintained by the cleaning staff. The bed was king size and there was a coffee maker in the bathroom.
The casino area was very small compared to the other casino's I visited. The pool area was nice. LB's steak house was outstanding! I felt the room rates which averaged $80 over my 5 day stay were fair considering staying right on Hiway 90. As I stated at the beginning, I write this with mixed emotions, I'm happy to see Biloxi on the way back after such a devastating storm...I'm sad to see the Grand Casino limping along to survive compared to it's competitors which experienced the same set backs. It has not recovered from what it once was. The Grand Casino Gulfport was the sister to this casino before Katrina, it is now the Island View. It has also changed but appears to have been rebuilt with much more of the flair this pair had prior to the storm. It was good to get back to this area of the gulf coast, I will return, but am not certain I will stay here.

Room Tip: North side rooms have no view. Higher floors have little hot water. Phone rates outrageous!
Minden, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

My wife and I spent two nights at the Grand Biloxi Casino Hotel and Spa. As diamond members of Harrah's Total Rewards Program, our room was comped. We enjoyed our stay. The room was nice, the casino floor smaller than most Harrah's properties, but the staff was friendly, always ready to greet you with a smile, and always willing to assist you in whatever way they could.

I believe that perhaps many of the negative comments on this site made about this property may have come from people who were expecting a grander experience. This Casino and hotel is not a rival to the Beau Rivage. It will provide a pleasant, straight forward Casino and hotel experience. Everything about the property is nice, clean and pleasant, but it is not luxurious and does not take on airs to that end. The friendliness and attentiveness of the staff made for a really nice, southern hospitality experience.

The buffet was solid. It was a bit mundane by the experiences established by so many other casinos, but the food was good and well prepared. Nothing fancy, just solid offerrings to provide nourishment. The cafe in the Hotel entry offered a limited menu but provided most everything a person may want in large quantities and well prepared.

Our anniversary dinner at the steak house was an unexpected delight. The food was very good. Dominic, the Chef, made it a point to visit with us after each course was served to get our "review" of his offerrings. That was very special to us. Our server, Rick, was also very attentive and knowledgeable. He took the time to explain the menu items and recommend the best combinations of foods and wines. He was obviously very interested in wines and provided his guests with the best possible pairings of wines with meal courses. He was also very gentle in his recognition that people have different price points in their wine selections. The combination of Rick and Dominick's attention to our meal and their pleasant conversation during our meal made for a wonderful anniversary dinner.

We will visit Biloxi, MS, again. We have stayed at more luxurious places in the past, but The Grand will be our choice for our next stay.

New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

After a power outage and a bad experience at another biloxi property, myself and 8 others ended up at the Grand Casino at midnight for done night's stay. They were very understanding of our situation, gave us a great rate and the front desk agent, TAMARA, was so LOVELY. She made us feel comfortable and at ease.
The rooms were very nice and the beds were super comfy - very comfortable pillows. Everyone in our group slept great.
I was unable to try out the pool although it did look very inviting. Buffet was good for the price as well. I will definitely recommend and return to this property.
Again, my thanks to Tamara for being so accommodating and nice! It makes a world of difference.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Gulf Breeze, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

My husband and I took a last minute getaway from the kids July 15-17 and we loved it! I work in the hospitality industry and expect a very high standard of service and I was completely blown away by the service here. I will say the rooms and decor are outdated but they are very clean and the friendliness of the staff was by far what sold us on this resort. We ate at the restaurants in the hotel, used the Spa (hands down one of the best) and enjoyed the casino. The service and friendliness of the staff won us over and we will be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

If you are headed to Biloxi to take in the casinos, this place is very nice. Covered parking with or without valet service. Friendly staff. Nice large pool and lots of lounge chairs. Bar area restaurant has an ample menu for any time of the day or night. There's even an ice cream freezer just off the reception area for your sweet tooth fix! A casino shuttle stops out front if you want to go to any of the other casinos. Room was large and comfortable. We asked for a room away from the elevator and we were put at the end of the hall which was great. There is an in room safe. The only thing that could have made the room better is if they would have a mini fridge in the room. We'd stay here again.

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Every part of my stay stunk.
The reservation got messed up, had to call 3 times to get it correct.
The room was humid and musty the whole time.
No free WiFi? Even McDonalds has free WiFi - had to pay for that.
No continental breakfast - just the $15 buffet.
Noisy next door occupants.
Hated it. I will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Harrah's Gulf Coast? Share your experiences!