“Facility okay, management fails” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 44 hotels in Biloxi
Gallion, Alabama
“Facility okay, management fails”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

In spite of the general mediocre reviews of this property, I booked it anyway and decided to take my chances. When I arrived, the front desk agent was friendly but did not recognize my platinum status. The property was attractive, the room clean, and all the basics were okay. Then I noticed that there was no pen or note pad, no guest service directory, and my telephone didn't work. Okay, maintenance fixed the phone only when I tried to use long distance following the dialing directions on the phone, nothing happened. Two trips to the front desk revealed that the directions posted were wrong. Still, I wasn't ready to dismiss this property as awful. They had the updated bedding, the room was clean and comfortable, there was a beach across the street, and the area nice. Night one was fine. Day two was fine, my friend arrived and got checked in and off we went to see a show at the casino/resort down the road. Returned to the hotel to find several fire trucks in the parking lot, a bunch of firemen running around, and a large group of other guests standing and sitting in the parking lot. Sure the property is as good as most of the newer properties but it was okay. It was what happened next that turned my opinion - and it has nothing to do with the property itself but with a complete incompetent general manager. The lone staff person who seemed to know what she was doing came out and told us that there had been a malfunction of some sort with the fire sprinkler system on the third floor and it was flooded. The hotel was not on fire but they would have to let the fire marshal survey what had happened and advise them of how to proceed. Although he had arrived, the general manager was no where to be seen. When the fire marshal determined he could not allow the hotel to be occupied without a functional sprinkler system, he then organized this firemen to help everyone, floor by floor safely enter and retrieve our belongings. The general manager then announced that there were available rooms along the road and they would be processing refunds in the next few days and if anyone paid cash, they could come back the next day to request a refund. Since I live 300 miles away from this hotel, am not a frequent visitor to Biloxi, and have no idea what is available, I approached the front desk and the GM asking for help in locating a room. At 11 pm this guy apparently was to sent several hundred people out to drive randomly up and down the highway to find new lodging. After refusing to leave the desk, after half an hour the one competent staff person finally called a nearby Quality Inn and confirmed they had the rooms I needed. As the general manager of a hospitality venue, he and his staff should have been prepared to deal with an unlikely event. I asked for no compensation other than assurances the prepaid charges to my card would be processed and assistance with securing alternative lodging. Every other system other than the fire sprinkler system was working fine. Computers, internet, all power, air conditioning - all that stuff was working. The front desk had full ability to review their registrations and since there were "rooms everywhere" assist all of us guests with locating appropriate lodging that met out needs. It is not the facility itself that is at fault here. The basics are all in place for an ordinary, clean, and decent place to sleep. The fire marshall did the right thing to comply with the regulations. He isn't at fault. I don't think the property can prevent acts such as this which according to the police investigator appeared to be vandalism. However, as the general manager of a property representing a respected world wide brand in the hospitality industry, this was a total and complete failure. The property is okay - it is the management that fails both the guests and the staff. Stay away.

Room Tip: if you want gulf views you have to be on the upper floors. don't expect any frills or anything...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Biloxi, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear rig2,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and we are sorry to read that in this case you feel we have fallen short of your expectations. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Harrison, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked our rooms before we read the reviews. After reading, believed we may have messed up. Didn't know what we were getting ourselves into. Told my wife if the room smells, is hot, and has a bad view. We are leaving. The reviews were wrong! Not sure where they stayed. Not the same place we did. View was great by the way. Very clean, and didn't smell. Room was cold! Do need to do something about the breakfast however.

Room Tip: Tell the desk you want a room facing the parking lot, it also has the view of the beach.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Douglasville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I read some of the poor reviews, but decided to take my chances. The rate was reasonable compared to many others and just across the street from the beach. I don't think Biloxi is known for clear blue water, so I wasn't expecting that. We spent one night here and didn't experience anything bad. AC worked fine for us and staff was friendly. We didn't eat at the restaurant. Wi-Fi worked fine. We planned to eat across the street at Snappers, but we had to wait a long time for a table (even though there appeared to be many available) and we ended up leaving. Shaggy's ended up being a better place to eat -- short walk away.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Biloxi, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear RamblerGA,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the location of the hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Janice A
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Yep, it's true, all the complaints against this hotel are valid. It smelled, wifi wouldn't work, elevators acted like they were gonna fail, a/c sucked, and so did the guest service. Not worth this much money. And it is very unfortunate that you have to cross a busy street to get to the very dirty beach. We had 4 people in our room and each time they cleaned it they would only give us 3 towels. When we need to take showers after going to the beach and in the morning, 3 towels aren't gonna cut it, and we made sure the staff was aware that we were in need of more, but still we only got 3 towels. We ate breakfast only a couple times at the restaurant there, food was good, but service was poor and it had a poor staff, mainly Mexicans that could not understand anyone. All in all, this stay was not the greatest of experiences.

• Stayed July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Biloxi, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear thehomeschooler,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I sincerely apologize that this visit was not as good as we would have hoped it most particularly with the quality of service received and amenities not functioning as expected. Your feedback has been documented and we'll have this forwarded to management to consider for improvements needed.

Again, thank you for your feedback and our apologies for the shortcomings.

Pam G
Monticello, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This Holiday Inn is in a good location directly across from the beach. Unfortunately they do not include a free breakfast. The swimming pool was filthy and in need of a good cleaning. The air conditioning would not cool the room and made loud noises all through the night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Biloxi, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Mister_High,

Thank you for the candid review of our property as this will guide us in making the right decisions. I am happy that you liked the location. Please accept our sincere apologies for the issues you have encountered over the pool's cleanliness and the loud air conditioning unit. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Karen G.
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Oh, gosh, this internet is insanely slow... I'm on the 2nd floor halfway down the hall and the internet is terrible. I can't open two tabs at once,
Its look reminds me of the Marriott style. It's chic and clean, but the room is very clammy-- I feel so sticky.
The beach is right across the street. :)
No free breakfast, but the slow wi-fi is free.
Desk woman was very nice and helpful.

The best rate on a 2-queen room on the strip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Biloxi, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Gabrielle S,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your stay with us. We do regret to see any slowness with the internet and any lack of comfort in the room. We do appreciate your kind words for our staff as well as the high scores for Service, Value, and Cleanliness. We do take these reviews seriously as they help us with any future changes we make to improve for our guests. Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay. We hope that should you return to Biloxi we might be your hotel of choice to show you how great we really are.

Adrian D.
New Orleans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This was by far the worst holiday inn I have stayed in. There were holes in the couch, the floor felt like it was covered in slime and there was a hard plastic thing poking out of the matress that poked my daughter all night long. There were 5 of us in this room, I was going to take the sofa bed since my daughters had to compete early the next morning and needed a good nights rest. The sofa bed was disgusting and and the matress was maybe 2 inches deep total. I ended up getting an airmatress out of my trunk to sleep on. This was a 1 night reservation for a dance competition that was that weekend. Since it was only for 1 night and my girls had to get up early the next morning to compete, we stayed even though we should have gone somewhere else. The hotel smelled of mildew, the pool water was green so they were not able to swim like we wanted to. The lobby has been updated however the rest of the hotel has not and it seemed as though they put a nice lobby on a motel 6. Had I known this hotel was this bad, I would not have used my points to book this room, (room 401) and would have paid to go to a different hotel. This hotel category is no where near where it should be but I assume because it is across the street from a beach (with hardly anything near by except for a run down neighborhood behind it) it gets a higher category? I would not stay here if given the choice again.

I

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Biloxi, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear shawnaz04,

Ferdinand G
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Biloxi? Share your experiences!