“Great Surf and Turf” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Pearl, MS
“Great Surf and Turf”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Dined at the Half shell Oyster House on Nov 15. We had the surf and turf. The steak and crab were excellent. However the salad appeared pre made, not what you would expect. Still I would highly recommend a stop here.

Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
“Second Timer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We went to the restaurant on advise from other's on the trip, and loved it. The two story restaurant is in walking distance of the Beau Rivage and has a wide variety of items on the menu. We stayed with seafood items and everything was tasty and fresh. I had oysters on the half shell and wished I'd ordered more then 6! My wife had Gulf shrimp and said they were also the best she's ever had as they had a very light coating. Definitely will go back when in the area.

Visited October 2013
“Best Crab Cakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised with the delicious crab cakes. No fillers. Simply packed with crab. Mmmmm. It will be a year before we are back in the area and I will head straight here. Very good

Birmingham, Alabama
“Great Fresh Seafood at a resonable Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I took a Business group to Half Shell Oyster House in Biloxi for Dinner. As you would expect, the group had a variety of appetizers, entrées, and deserts and all were very happy with their selections. The group 2 days later were still talking about how good the food was at Half Shell Oyster House. I concurred and will definitely plan to go back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hattiesburg, MS
“One of Biloxi's Best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My initial visit to Half Shell was quite enjoyable. I entered expecting a good experience, and I came away with a smile on my face and the intention to make a return visit as soon as possible.

As I commonly do on initial restaurant visits, I selected a few “key” menu items to get a good sample of just how various dishes would compare to my personal standards. My initial grading gives the Half Shell a grade in the A-minus B-plus range for the food, service, ambiance, and value.

I started with a dozen raw oysters and a cold beer. Good oysters and good presentation. Next, I had the seafood gumbo, and it was incredible. Definitely in the running for nomination as one of the best gumbos in Mississippi/Louisiana area. I like my gumbo to have a dark brown roux; Half Shell had that roux and that unique flavor associated with truly great gumbo. Finally, as my entrée, I had the oyster Po-Boy.

The po-boy was good, but not as good as I had expected. I’d say it is a reasonably good po-boy, but that it does not compete with some of the truly great ones in the Mississippi Gulf Coast area. (I’ve eaten better oyster po-boys in at least four other Coast establishments). The greatest shortcoming was the bread, not the oysters. The bread was not the typical French-type bread found in the area, but it was more like the taste and consistency of a hot dog bun. Not what I was expecting. I do not particularly recommend the sandwich, but one can do a lot worse. Next time I’ll try something else.

The atmosphere is appealing. I ate in the bar—not the main dining area—of an interesting re-cycled building (not sure of the history). Service was friendly, prompt and efficient. Price range is moderately expensive.

As a tip to prospective diners, the parking lot (south of the restaurant and directly off Lameuse) is oddly arranged. Best bet is to enter from Water Street at rear of restaurant or to simply park in the adjacent Water St. auxiliary parking area. Visitors staying at Hard Rock have an easy walk to the restaurant; Beau Rivage guests are in for a somewhat longer walk.

Bottom line: I recommend the Half Shell to visitors. I think you’ll find it worthwhile.

• Visited September 2013