“love it” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

my boyfriend and I were staying at the hard rock and the bartender told us about this place omg it was fantastic from the service to the meal we go every time we are in town please give it a try around dinner time is the best it is a local place very friendly

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Louisville, Kentucky
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Went here because the reviews on here recommended it. My daughter and I ate there for dinner on a Monday afternoon about 4:00. There was hardly anyone eating at this time and the place was almost empty. We were taken upstairs - were not given the option of eating downstairs. Then we were taken all the way to the back of the restaurant to a table in the back corner. This seemed odd to us as there were so many tables open. My daughter ordered beer and I had chardonnay which were both reasonably priced because we were there at happy hour. we ordered the dozen oysters on the half shell ($13.99) which tasted fine, but when they came to our table they were floating in water because the ice had already melted. I ordered the Royal Reds and a half shell salad, and my daughter had the stuffed portabello dinner with the half shell salad as well. The salad dressing was so sour we only ate about half of the salad. My shrimp tasted fine but were kind of mushy - not sure why. My daughter's portabello mushrooms were okay, but she would not order them again. She had an upset stomach later that evening and was sick all night. Not sure what was the cause. Our bill with tip ended up being over $80!!! We will not be going back to this restaurant. We had a dozen oysters at Mikey's the next day for $5.00 and they were way better and came on a tray of ice, not water. Live and learn.

Visited June 2013
United States
“Just continues to be good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We have been here in the past and always enjoyed. This trip no exception as we ate here two times. Sat downstairs in the bar and enjoyed the Royal Reds and Orleans oysters. Just fantastic. If you haven't tried them they are a must. Later we ate at the upstairs bar. Tried the plain charbroiled oysters and the fried green tomatoes with a half shell salad. All were good. The several times that we have eaten here the staff has always been super, the food has always been good and we have enjoyed every meal. Just a short walk from the Beau or Hardrock and definitely worth it.

Visited May 2013
Germantown, Tennessee
“Great atmosphere and service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We ate here our first night in town. There was no wait. Atmosphere was great! Great service! Oysters were good.. Royal reds were not eatable which was disappointing but server handled immediately without any problems. Crabcakes and fried green tomatoes were phenomenal!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Overland Park, Kansas
“A Great Experience - Start to Finish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is our second trip to Biloxi. We visited in summer 2012 and are back again now (summer 2013). Both trips, after checking into our hotel, we asked for restaurant recommendations from the hotel front desk staff. We received recommendations both trips for the Half Shell Oyster House. We actually stopped by the restaurant last year but there was a line half way around the building and we were too hungry to wait. This year, we decided to go early (around 4:00 on a Sunday afternoon) and hope there wasn't a line or wait getting in. This strategy paid off.

From the moment we entered the front door, the experience we had at Half Shell Oyster House was excellent. We were greeted with a smile by the hostess, and our server, Megan provided excellent personal service. She did an excellent job in explaining the specials and demonstrated excellent knowledge on all parts of the menu we had questions about. My wife and son (age 12) decided to split a meal. Megan actually split the meal into 2 "half portions" so that each of them had their own. It is this kind of personal service and attention to detail that sets excellent servers apart from their peers.

In addition to the great service we received, the food was excellent. My wife and son split the Seafood Platter and I had the Paneed Flounder. I had never had flounder served in this manner and it was an extremely pleasant surprise. I know my wife and son enjoyed the seafood platter as well. The other surprise here were the sides we ordered. They got the Cheddar Cheese Grits and I got the Cajun Boiled Parmesan and Garlic New Fried Potatoes. All I can say there is WOW. Typically when I try new sides I had not seen or heard of before, it is a real iffy situation. That was not the case here. Both of these dishes delivered in spades. We split an order of the Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding to finish up the meal. This was an excellent desert and we are glad we selected it.

I now understand why there was such a long waiting line at the restaurant when we visited last year. I took time after we finished to compliment the whole experience to the manager. This is not a common occurrence for me. My wife and I both spent time years ago in the restaurant business and know what it takes to put together an experience like this. All I can say is this was a job beyond well done. My hat is off to the restaurant and its staff.

• Visited June 2013