“Noisy, but fun” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Charleston, South Carolina
“Noisy, but fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Our local family picked this place to meet as several of us came in from out of town (and out of the country) for a family reunion/birthday party the next day. It was the Friday night before St. Patrick's day and the place was packed and had an active, happy feeling. We used call ahead seating, since there were 7 of us and didn't have much of a wait (10 minutes). The food was great and they brought out a free dessert for my 90 year old Uncle. I would definately go back if I return, unless I decide to try all of the other tempting seafood restaurants. It's hard to decide to stay with one you know is great or explore new places. I had fried shrimp, others hade oysters prepared in several different ways. Nobody ordered anyting very expensive because we were afraid my Uncle would insist on paying the tab for all and didn't want to bankrupt him. I paid for myself and my nephew (age 19), and the bill was much less that I expected. After we had all paid our tab, my Uncle did try to pay for everybody, but we had all beat him to it. He had been talking to everybody and didn't notice us paying our bills (and his). It was a little noisy for a family reunion, but it was fun.

Visited March 2013

Lawrenceville, Ga
“Great place for oyesters...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Half Shell is a great place to enjoy oysters---fixed the way you like them. New Orleans born char broiled oysters are a MUST TRY---grilled in the shell, with butter ladled on generously to cause the grill to flame up over the edge of the oyster, with parmesan chesse on top--heaven.

In season (about November to April), a must try is the Royal Red oyster. Caught by shrimpers in cold water at 2400 feet deep in the Gulf, they are sweet, succulent--almost tasting like a lobster.

There is a very good selection of other seafoods and steaks, served with an attentive staff and smiles for everyone. Shrimp, oysters, and crab dominate tshe menu (since you are on the Gulf coast), and you can't go wrong with any of them. (Crab stuffed portabella mushrooms--grilled to perfection.)
There are two bars you can sit at, always busy--with one of the bars on the top floor, and three short flights of stairs to get there.

Crowded up to about 7:30 by locals, even during the week, and a long wait on Friday and Saturday. WORTH THE WAIT!!!!

• Visited March 2013
Roswell, Georgia
“Overrated and very poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Our waiter was obviously not happy with management and his role as waiter. He was inattentive, got our drink order wrong and blamed it on us. Then the salads and soup came out and about 30 minutes after we finished them, we had to ask where our entree was. It finally came and was not hot . Only when we were presented the check, did the waiter say, " thank you for your patience". At this point he was not sure he would get a tip. But he did, as we try to overlook problems in the kitchen. Will not return

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Short detour so worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hubby found this online while en route -- I wanted to keep driving but to appease him we exited and headed toward beach. Only one block off main "drag"...easy to find.... We ordered an assortment of appetizers and there was not a crumb left! Superb Voodoo shrimp! Awesome salad with goat cheese--so creamy and scrumptious! Servers were attentive and friendly. If going for dinner, would suggest getting there early as the restaurant filled up quickly. Highly recommend!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was recently in Biloxi for a business and I asked about a dozen locals where I should eat. Pretty much everyone told me to go to Half Shell Oyster House. It did not disappoint; I highly recommend this place.

• Visited February 2013