“Needs a little more time” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 211 Restaurants in Biloxi
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Austin, Texas
“Needs a little more time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Recommended by our hotel. Venue beautiful, bar area with dining upstairs and a few tables down as well. Waitstaff plentiful and for the most part attentive. Can tell its a new team. Happy hour cocktails $2 off until 6 pm and we were able to order just under the wire. Appetizer we chose was fried green tomatoes and crab cakes. It was delicious. There were 3 slices of green tomato and two small crab cakes alternated on the plate under a delicious creamy remoulade with crab meat. I ordered the upgraded salad with goat cheese and avocado, it arrived with no dressing. When i notified our waiter he got me some immediately, husband had the caesar salad which he deemed all right. I ordered the seafood pot pie which i enjoyed. It had a nice variety of veggies, crab, shrimp and crawfish ., husband had the flounder which had several bones in it, they do fillet all their own fish - when we mentioned it the waiter reminded us that there is always the risk of a bone or two in fresh fish which is true. The size of the filets was surprising, they were two about 1/2 inch wide and 3 inches long---very very small. Actually all the main course portions and sides except the salads were pretty small. I would have been able to eat a desert but the 3 offered were not what i was looking for. I did decide to take some seafood gumbo to go and it was really good. So a lot of inconsistency as one might expect with a newer venue. We are just passing thru but if we lived here we would give it a little more time and try it again.

1 Thank shmtw2

“What you would expect, nothing more or less...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

It was good, dont get me wrong, but it was nothing special or unique. I will say portions were very large, making up for slightly high prices. I had tge pecan crusted redfish, and ive definitely had better. My wife had the seafood stuffed portabellas, and they were very good. The highlight, quite franky was her "half shell salad", which was a 2 dollar upgrade but well worth it. The servers all seemed to be going through the motions, as if they were all unhappy. It was weird. I am glad we tried it, but it wouldnt be at the top of my list to return.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
“Excellent Seafood and not too pricey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The bellman at the Grand told us about Half Shell and we enjoyed it so much we ate there twice. The valet will drop you off and pick you up for free. The staff was very friendly and the bartender Linda gave us lots of great ideas of what to do in and around Biloxi. All the food was great, the Fried Green Tomato and Crab Cake appetizers was my favorite and my husband really enjoyed the oysters. He usually prefers raw, but at Half Shell its the Oysters Orleans that stole the show. Don't ask them what's in it, the cook said he had to sign a contract that he wouldn't tell! Unbelievable flavor! I also enjoyed the Southern Pecan BBQ Shrimp and Grits and my husband said the Royal Red Shrimp were better than the lobster we ate the night before at one of the hotel restaurants. Even the fried okra and turnip greens were fantastic. We will be back!

• Visited January 2013
MS Gulf Coast
“Great night!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Excellent food and atmosphere! I would try the sampler oyster plate. Great for groups and special events or just a night out.

Visited November 2012
Mississippi Gulf Coast
“A great local place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had dinner there this evening and the food was wonderful. We had their Oysters Bienville and fried Green Tomatoes with Crab Cakes for starters. Both were excellent. For dinner we had the Seafood Pasta and Seafood Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms. They too were excellent. It is nice to have a good restaurant with fresh local seafood and a nice atmosphere.

• Visited January 2013