“Should Have Bought a Bigger Dress Size” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Ft Walton Beach FL
“Should Have Bought a Bigger Dress Size”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I ate at Mary Mahoney's on a Saturday evening in March. It seems that Biloxi has senior proms somewhat continuously between March and May, and Mary Mahoney's is a favorite place to go to impress dates (hence the title; yet I digress...). I take that as a very positive reflection on the establishment from the locals.
We ordered the top-rated dishes: we shared the "Presidential Platter" appetizer: $36 for crab claws and soft shell crabs, and though it sounds expensive, it was worth every penny. We were totally stuffed, and we couldn't finish it! My wife favored the cocktail sauce, but I thought that the tartar sauce was really delicious. We followed this exquisite appetizer with the "Shrimp and Lump Crabmeat St Patrick." Think of jumbo shrimp in an escargot pan covered in rue and crabmeat. It was very very very rich, and, honestly, we didn't enjoy it as much as we thought we would. Perhaps our wine pairing distracted (Saintsbury pinot noir, selected because of the rue), and so I would recommend a Chardonnay or Sauv Blanc).
The building dates back to 1737, which makes it one of the oldest buildings in the U.S. The owners have paid particular attention to the views from each of the tables. Given the frequency and ferocity of Gulf hurricanes (Katrina flooded the restaurant up to about 7 feet), it's remarkable that this building still stands. Because I live on the Gulf Coast I recommend that you take the opportunity to eat here while you still can...

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Maitland, Florida
“Interesting accomodations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We traveled as a couple and had read reviews of Mary Mahoney's restaurant. We had dinner and were quite satisfied with the servings. They were quite large and since we were traveling we could not bag it. But the food was very good

Visited March 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
“A place apart! Worth the whole trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

After a disappointing trip thru New Orleans restaurants, this one made up for the rest. It was recommended by a friend who lives in the area and he knew what he was talking about. You enter a different world and have your choice of several different rooms ( each of which could be a separate restaurant) We dined in the back room which looks like a sunporch...very light and cheerful (we were there for lunch).. The service, by a waiter who had been there about 20 years, was wonderful...gracious and inviting. My husband had seafood salad which he thoroughly enjoyed. I had something called an Irish seafood something or other...(can't remember the name) but it was spectacular. Based on escargot, it was shrimp in garlic and butter over spinach with a cheese sauce... very different but yummy. No need for heavy spices to cover the fresh seafood and vegetables. - For desert a great bread pudding... Could have stayed all afternoon if we werent driving long distances It was comfortable and old south dining at its best. We would be here often if we lived there... Definitely worth a trip...

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
howelldw
“Excellant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just a short walk from the Beau. Wonderful food and environment. They are open for lunch and supper. Much better than the casino's food. Call ahead for seating.

Visited February 2013
Orlando, Florida
“Absolutely fantastic, superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We traveled to Biloxi for our 32nd anniversary which is also on Valentine's Day. My husband had been stationed there years before I met him and he wanted to show me some of his past. He selected Mary Mahoney's just by luck. It was incredible. The food was sensational. We both chose fish items and enjoyed every morsel. The service was almost the best service we have ever received in any restaurant. Frederick was our waiter. He was efficient, attentive, personable and a pleasure for us. Frederick and my husband were in the military at the same time - my husband in the USAF and Frederick in the Czech army during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962. It was the first time my husband had ever shared his experiences with a military person "on the other side." This only helped to make this evening a more memorable experience. The restaurant alone was most satisfying. I would highly recommend this restaurant to any one who desires a sensational meal. Don't let the Irish sounding name with the French twist intimidate you. The food is primarily American and the specialty is fish. The only slight problem we encountered was immediately upon arrival. There seemed to be some confusion by the staff on who would sit where. There seemed to be a little temper shown on the part of the staff but it was settled and we went on and forgot about this. Just wish we had not been party to this.

• Visited February 2013