“Gumbo to die for.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Mississippi Gulf Coast
“Gumbo to die for.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Their food is very good. They make the best gumbo of anywhere on the coast, and that includes New Orleans.

Visited January 2013

76% Recommend
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
“Love Mary Mahoney's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I don't get to eat here often- it is a little expensive, but when I want to "dine" not eat- I want to go here. I had fried shrimp and it was excellent-my husband had the seafood platter and ate every bite. The salads were ok but the homemade dressings was great!The bread is wonderful too- in fact we asked for extra! Our server was very personable and attentive. We were too full for dessert. We went on a Saturday night, fairly early, and did not have to wait which to me is kind of a red flag..... usually on Saturday night there is a line no matter how early you go! Hoping MM is still the quality restaurant on the coast!I think it is!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“A Favorite Turned Slightly Disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This restaurant has always been a favorite, especially to my sister and me, as we sometimes meet on the Gulf Coast and spend a couple days together. I discovered Mary Mahoney's on the internet one time while trying to find somewhere really nice. The food was always excellent, and the staff so very nice and attentive. We had not been since Katrina, and had occasion to go there not to long ago. It was one of those times you could not exactly put your finger on what the difference was, but just was not the same as before. The food was good, but not outstanding, especially for the prices. Our waiter certainly was excellent, though. We will give it another chance, as one disappointing time is not enough to give up on somewhere you really loved. Just the history there is so interesting that it is certainly worth a trip.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Delray Beach, Florida
“ghosts of bygone days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

best food in mississippi-i had a lovely setting with a invisable lady next to me-food was excellent,staff subpurb-atrium setting very ("COOL")the french entree's excellent-any of the fish or shellfish worth the price-take time in the afternoon,less busy-charlie T.

Visited June 2012
Pascagoula, Mississippi
“Dinner at Mary Mahoney's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Hoping for a good fine dining experience after the closing of Vrazel's, my wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary by dining at Mary Mahoney's. We enjoyed a cocktail in the bar served by a friendly mixologist before our 7PM reservation. The crab cake appetizer was barely average and too small to share. However, the oyster soup was excellent as I remember it being, but the salad was below average. I ordered the Shrimp St. Patrick, which is their signature dish, but the amount of Worchestershire totally overwhelmed the shrimp and lump crab. Very sad! My wife's dish of redfish/lump crab over pasta was average at best. Sadly, this great facility is grossly overpriced and not close to offering an experience on the level of Vrazels. The atmosphere is very good but the experience is barely average, considering the expense of the menu offering.

• Visited December 2012