“A Favorite Turned Slightly Disappointing” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Favorite Turned Slightly Disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This restaurant has always been a favorite, especially to my sister and me, as we sometimes meet on the Gulf Coast and spend a couple days together. I discovered Mary Mahoney's on the internet one time while trying to find somewhere really nice. The food was always excellent, and the staff so very nice and attentive. We had not been since Katrina, and had occasion to go there not to long ago. It was one of those times you could not exactly put your finger on what the difference was, but just was not the same as before. The food was good, but not outstanding, especially for the prices. Our waiter certainly was excellent, though. We will give it another chance, as one disappointing time is not enough to give up on somewhere you really loved. Just the history there is so interesting that it is certainly worth a trip.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Delray Beach, Florida
“ghosts of bygone days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

best food in mississippi-i had a lovely setting with a invisable lady next to me-food was excellent,staff subpurb-atrium setting very ("COOL")the french entree's excellent-any of the fish or shellfish worth the price-take time in the afternoon,less busy-charlie T.

Visited June 2012
Pascagoula, Mississippi
“Dinner at Mary Mahoney's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Hoping for a good fine dining experience after the closing of Vrazel's, my wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary by dining at Mary Mahoney's. We enjoyed a cocktail in the bar served by a friendly mixologist before our 7PM reservation. The crab cake appetizer was barely average and too small to share. However, the oyster soup was excellent as I remember it being, but the salad was below average. I ordered the Shrimp St. Patrick, which is their signature dish, but the amount of Worchestershire totally overwhelmed the shrimp and lump crab. Very sad! My wife's dish of redfish/lump crab over pasta was average at best. Sadly, this great facility is grossly overpriced and not close to offering an experience on the level of Vrazels. The atmosphere is very good but the experience is barely average, considering the expense of the menu offering.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Starkville, Mississippi
“Not a Restaurant to Eat Alone, Shrimp Lacked Flavor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I recently went to Mary Mahoney's after hearing about it from friends and the ratings online. I was alone on a business trip. This restaurant is not a place to go if you are eating alone. I was there on a Tuesday night and it was almost empty. I order the fried shrimp which cost $29. I was not allowed to substitute a soup for my salad that I did not eat! Shrimp arrived and they were massive!!! The bad thing is that had little to no taste!

I felt like the meal was way over priced! I would not recommend going back. I have had a lot better seafood in other restaurants in Biloxi for a better price!

They did have great service and tried to make me feel welcome despite how awkward the environment was.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Pensacola Beach, Florida, USA
“Can't Believe I Waited This Long to Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We live about 120 miles away and often do day trips to Biloxi for afternoon shows. Have always wanted to have a nice place to eat lunch other than at the casino buffets. We went to Mary Mahoney’s and had a wonderful lunch. For $12.50 to $16.50, the options were great and included a delicious salad and yummy bread pudding. The main courses were excellent also. Plus, just walking around the building is interesting. Highly recommend.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere